• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,441 posts in this topic

I've posted this scan before to show off this very cool 1947 Australian edition:

AJ_mummy_front.jpg

But I realise I haven't posted anything that shows the size of it, which is its coolest aspect. So, by popular demand (I was asked once, which is all the encouragement I need), here's a shot with a standard size Dell:

Mummy_comparison.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Can you show us some interior pages of the Australian edition?

+1. :foryou:

Thanks for sharing. Can you show us some interior pages of the Australian edition?

Sure, here's the inside front cover spread:

AJ_inside_front.jpg

The Dell has a poster advertising 'three big stories' on the inside cover. This edition doesn't have the 'too many pets' story, and includes a couple of Taliafero dailies instead.

And here's the centrefold (which, like colour, is also mispelled lol ):

AJ_mummy_centre.jpg

A couple of odd things. Comparing the page with the Barks Library, the last panel is missing the text 'But that night the wind dies and for hours the boat drifts helplessly back down the river'. The box in panel three should have the text 'No one tends the rudder while they gape at ruins along the bank'. There's no reason for those changes, and no other text in the comic is missing - I think this was just a mistake. Sometimes Australian editions had changes of text for local audiences (dollars to pounds, or rutabagas to swedes or turnips - I don't recall which - in the dinosaur valley story). Sometimes one or more pages were removed to fit the local format, requiring a bit of rewriting. And I have some books where an extra 'u' was literally cut and pasted into words like 'neighbour' to turn them into English. :baiting:

I haven't looked inside this book for three years now, and at the time I noted 'rust on staple with some migration - monitor this'. At the time I wasn't sure what I thought of conservation and restoration. I am now, and this staple will be coming out for cleaning and either returned (my preference) or replaced.

Edited by AJD

I scored one of my Duck grails last night on Heritage. :banana:

I have been wanting to get high-grade copies of the Duck books from the month I was born and this is the first. It is the highest graded copy (tied with one other) and best of all it is signed by Carl.

WDCS255.jpg

I couldn't resist this cheap win on ComicLink tonight -- one of my favorite patriotic WDCS covers. Should look nice in a Mylar.

wdcs22.jpg

I had the same idea but luckily while I bid I didn't bid too high! I made this cover into a poster for a July 4th BBQ at work one year. It is a true classic!

Enjoy!

Four Color 408 Golden Helmet has been one of my favorite comic books of all time. I purchased a beater back in the 70's, but always wanted a nice copy. I just purchased this nice undercopy from 4gemworks. There was supposed to be a 8.0 on the Heritage Internet Auction last week, but the comic book was pulled and put into the July Signature Auction. I noticed a 9.4 white pager also in the July Signature Auction. I probably could not afford the 9.4 anyway. I have noticed when I purchase a nice copy of a comic book, then multiple copies come up for auction. I still think duck books are the best.

FourColor408bomtext.jpg

Great book! I have a similar tale with the Golden Helmet also purchasing a beater back in the seventies and then upgrading to a 7.0 reader a few years back. It is one of the greatest stories in the Barks canon; and remember, "Ickus Spickus Lickus!"

I scored one of my Duck grails last night on Heritage. :banana:

I have been wanting to get high-grade copies of the Duck books from the month I was born and this is the first. It is the highest graded copy (tied with one other) and best of all it is signed by Carl.

WDCS255.jpg

NIce! (thumbs u

Four Color 408 Golden Helmet has been one of my favorite comic books of all time. I purchased a beater back in the 70's, but always wanted a nice copy. I just purchased this nice undercopy from 4gemworks. There was supposed to be a 8.0 on the Heritage Internet Auction last week, but the comic book was pulled and put into the July Signature Auction. I noticed a 9.4 white pager also in the July Signature Auction. I probably could not afford the 9.4 anyway. I have noticed when I purchase a nice copy of a comic book, then multiple copies come up for auction. I still think duck books are the best.

FourColor408bomtext.jpg

I was going to bid on those Barks books today. :(

NIce book! (thumbs u

This might be the wrong place to inquire but I want to get an idea of the price I can expect to pay for a good-ish Four Color 29. There don't seem to be a ton of transactions to look at from what I have seen. Any help?

This might be the wrong place to inquire but I want to get an idea of the price I can expect to pay for a good-ish Four Color 29. There don't seem to be a ton of transactions to look at from what I have seen. Any help?

Overstreet lists the book in good at $757, but duck book prices are slumping. The last Heritage auction of a CGC 2.0 went for $507.88 in June 2011. I would say $450-500. Raw 2.0 went for $286.80 in 2009. Be careful of undisclosed restoration on raw copies. FC 29 is tougher than FC9. Your best bet is a Heritage Internet Auction, where there are likely to be less bidders.