• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

While reading the market reports in the latest Overstreet I came on this observation:

"Dells, on the other hand, particularly the more pricey Barks issues are dormant -- we sell more non-Barks now -- as an experiment we offered all our Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, Uncle Scrooge, and Donald Duck at 50% off (which we never do) -- and were surprised to see not many takers."

really I would have jumped at that chance :)

And the Four Color collection grows!

Nice copy of one of Barks's best! (thumbs u

And it is great to know that the original art has survived and belongs to someone who genuinely appreciates it.

Wow, really? Is there a link to it somewhere? I thought that Uncle Scrooge story North of the Yukon was the oldest surviving original art.

I just checked out the census for the Donald duck comics I had no idea they were that rare

And it is great to know that the original art has survived and belongs to someone who genuinely appreciates it.

Wow, really? Is there a link to it somewhere? I thought that Uncle Scrooge story North of the Yukon was the oldest surviving original art.

I just checked out the census for the Donald duck comics I had no idea they were that rare

Maybe rare in high grade but not too rare in general; and probably lots of ungraded Barks out there.

FC_367_zps4950c52e.jpg [/quote

Did you get that on EBay? I thought about making a run at that one but decided since it was an upgrade not to go there on this one. Great story. Enjoy!!

Yeah, thank you for your forbearance. :foryou:

Maybe rare in high grade but not too rare in general; and probably lots of ungraded Barks out there.

Disney comics are not rare; some of them are rare in high grade 9.2+. Try finding DD #26 and #27 or FC #256 in 9.2 or higher. On the census there is 1 DD #26 in 9.2 with none higher. There are no DD #27 in 9.0 or higher. There is (1) 9.2 and (1) 9.4 for the FC #256.

I would love any of these books in these grades but... they either don't exist or the owners are sitting on them. Considering how hot Barks was in the 70s I'm more than willing to believe there are huge undiscovered Barks collections out there but I bet they will stay in their respective miser's closets until the heirs decide to sell.

There are definitely many earlier pages than NotY. The earliest surviving pages are from a couple Jan 1945 issues of WDC&S.

This is the closest I've found to a high grade #27

donald_duck_front_027_zps95c81374.jpg

Sweet copy. You don't think it's a 9.2?

I do think its a 9.2; it might go higher if I get it pressed. I'm still rather lukewarm on the whole pressing thing, though.

There are definitely many earlier pages than NotY. The earliest surviving pages are from a couple Jan 1945 issues of WDC&S.

That's awesome. I own a Barks preliminary oil painting and an original art page would look awesome next to it. :cloud9:

It`d be better if I owned it. I`m sure I would appreciate it even more!

It`d be better if I owned it. I`m sure I would appreciate it even more!

+1 :cloud9:

Disney comics are not rare; some of them are rare in high grade 9.2+. Try finding DD #26 and #27 or FC #256 in 9.2 or higher. On the census there is 1 DD #26 in 9.2 with none higher. There are no DD #27 in 9.0 or higher. There is (1) 9.2 and (1) 9.4 for the FC #256.

I would love any of these books in these grades but... they either don't exist or the owners are sitting on them. Considering how hot Barks was in the 70s I'm more than willing to believe there are huge undiscovered Barks collections out there but I bet they will stay in their respective miser's closets until the heirs decide to sell.

I'm one of those misers with a nice 26 and 27. I'm not sure if hey are 9.0 plus books but they are nice copies. Somehow I suspect there are lots of nice copies out there but probably not graded. Same for FCC 256!

I'm one of those misers with a nice 26 and 27. I'm not sure if hey are 9.0 plus books but they are nice copies. Somehow I suspect there are lots of nice copies out there but probably not graded. Same for FCC 256!

I use "miser" lovingly in the spirit of Uncle Scrooge. :foryou:

If you have a chance, post a scan. I would love to see them!

Here's my Donald Duck #26. A few too many spine ticks and corner creases to make it into the 9.0 category but a nice book that was bought off the stands and stored nicely until I managed to land it back at one of the 70's New York shows. I probably paid all of $15-20 for it at the time. Wish I had kept records then, but I didn't. Still that was probably a good 4-6 hours of work for me at my high school job.

150100.jpg.48ee93472aa9a8b869bc87d107534aac.jpg

Here's my Donald Duck #26. A few too many spine ticks and corner creases to make it into the 9.0 category but a nice book that was bought off the stands and stored nicely until I managed to land it back at one of the 70's New York shows. I probably paid all of $15-20 for it at the time. Wish I had kept records then, but I didn't. Still that was probably a good 4-6 hours of work for me at my high school job.

Great book! :applause:

That is a very nice book with a great history! I wish I had kept everything I had purchased through the years. I'd have to have a second bedroom dedicated to them though. :devil:

Edited by Badger