• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Maybe not a duck, but this seems to be the default Golden Age funny animal thread.

(shrug)Short Bus

I kid! I kid!

Actually, I have a copy of that same issue. :blush:

It's a wonderful funny animal book. (thumbs u

I kid! I kid!

Whew! That's a relief.

I was makin' like TEx Avery's wolf with my eyes bugging out and steam pouring out of my ears.

Jack

I kid! I kid!

Whew! That's a relief.

I was makin' like TEx Avery's wolf with my eyes bugging out and steam pouring out of my ears.

Jack

:foryou:

I didn't notice before you said something but, wow! Books around 100-150 went crazy. If the book was top census at 9.0, it went from 5-6-10x guide!!! If it wasn't top census, it went for guide. This makes me happy as I will probably be sticking in my FC 348 in an upcoming auction. It's tied for top census. ^^

The twenty or so 9.4 & 9.6 books that I was watching from 150-250 all went for $400-600 and I think that the previous high market was around $300 for 9.4 and $450 or so for 9.6. Not quite the same multiples of guide that you mentioned for 9.0 but still pushing out the top by 50% on a large number of books.

I've decided that I have absolutely no ability to grade comics!

That FC 386 a few posts back at 5.5 just doesn't look like a 5.5 to me. Is the back cover cut or something?

Old California is obviously a great story, but I can imagine Barks' disappointment seeing that cover after he mailed in his 32 pages of stylized perfection.

Unrelated, I spent the last couple of weeks on a business trip to Pune, India. The sights and contrasts there can't help you make wonder how privileged many of us are to have time and funds left over for something like vintage comics. I know this will sound like a clichee, but it really does make an impression to actually meet a wonderful person who works hard 7 days a week to earn the $80 a month it takes to feed her family. In particular when I consider how many years I could have helped her for what I burn in an average Heritage auction.

Old California is obviously a great story, but I can imagine Barks' disappointment seeing that cover after he mailed in his 32 pages of stylized perfection.

Unrelated, I spent the last couple of weeks on a business trip to Pune, India. The sights and contrasts there can't help you make wonder how privileged many of us are to have time and funds left over for something like vintage comics. I know this will sound like a clichee, but it really does make an impression to actually meet a wonderful person who works hard 7 days a week to earn the $80 a month it takes to feed her family. In particular when I consider how many years I could have helped her for what I burn in an average Heritage auction.

TB: I don't know the story behind the cover. Please explain.

And on a serious note, it never hurts to stop and appreciate what we have. I don't think anyone here could argue that comics are not a luxury. Hope your travels are going well. Can't wait to have you back on here more often.

I've decided that I have absolutely no ability to grade comics!

That FC 386 a few posts back at 5.5 just doesn't look like a 5.5 to me. Is the back cover cut or something?

That's a bad scan of the book. To be fair, I haven't called for notes so I'm not sure what they hammered it for. I'll say this. My limited experience is that early Duck book have a tough going in the CGC grading. Here are some links to huge scans before slabbing, if you're still interested.

Front.

Back.

Mr. B: It's always great to see an early issue this nice. And the CGC number leaves some hope that there might have been other books in the same submission :wishluck:

T-plant: > I don't know the story behind the cover. Please explain.

I just don't think that the quality of the cover art does justice to the interior story. Barks drew some truely outstanding Four Color covers around this time, including "The Crocodille Collector" (FC 348) and "Rags to Riches" (FC 356). I recently learned that the original art to the latter cover still exists. It was bought by an art museum in Germany after the big Barks exhibition in the mid-1990s. Great that it found a good home though the possessive side of me is a little disappointed that it may be off the market for good. FC 356 is such a fantastic, quintessential Duck cover and I think it is way underrated. I got to see the CGC 9.4 copy at one point and it was incredible. Given how certification is shifting the high grade emphasis from interior stories towards cover art, I'd be surprised if books like FC 348 and 356 did not increase substantially in value over the next 10 years while FC 318 and 328 more likely will be stagnating.