• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

I've decided that I have absolutely no ability to grade comics!

That FC 386 a few posts back at 5.5 just doesn't look like a 5.5 to me. Is the back cover cut or something?

That's a bad scan of the book. To be fair, I haven't called for notes so I'm not sure what they hammered it for. I'll say this. My limited experience is that early Duck book have a tough going in the CGC grading. Here are some links to huge scans before slabbing, if you're still interested.

Front.

Back.

Okay - I can see *some* of their reasoning a little more clearly, but I still probably would have over-graded this book personally. It's a very nice copy - and except for the one obvious flaw on the spine - I would probably have gone 6.0-6.5

Good thing I'm not a seller!

Edited by bergdoll

wdcs2fc.jpg

Stunning! That is a real gem of a copy. The issues from 1-25 are, from what I have been told, incredibly difficult to find (my #3 is tattered and restored).

The real "kids" comics from this period are sure hard to find as nice as this copy!

T-plant: > I don't know the story behind the cover. Please explain.

I just don't think that the quality of the cover art does justice to the interior story. Barks drew some truely outstanding Four Color covers around this time, including "The Crocodille Collector" (FC 348) and "Rags to Riches" (FC 356). I recently learned that the original art to the latter cover still exists. It was bought by an art museum in Germany after the big Barks exhibition in the mid-1990s. Great that it found a good home though the possessive side of me is a little disappointed that it may be off the market for good. FC 356 is such a fantastic, quintessential Duck cover and I think it is way underrated. I got to see the CGC 9.4 copy at one point and it was incredible. Given how certification is shifting the high grade emphasis from interior stories towards cover art, I'd be surprised if books like FC 348 and 356 did not increase substantially in value over the next 10 years while FC 318 and 328 more likely will be stagnating.

TB:

I haven't been at the Duck collecting for a long time. Several points. 1) I'm already regretting a little selling the 348. It was that nice and such a great cover. 2) I have to disagree about 356. It lacks oomph for me. The actual art portion of the cover is well done but I am deterred by the solid red background. I don't know. It has more of a "modern" feel to it that does not engender great affection from me. But, as I don't own a copy, I might make it my next purchase to see if I see what you see.

Hi robyx, please send me a pm if you still are reading the boards - something I'd like to discuss with you offline.

---

The number of "unknown" Barks originals that have surfaced in the last 15 years can be counted on one hand; here is a glimpse of one of them. A miracle that this survived at all but that's a long story. Had to pay in euros and fly to Austria to pick it up, but what can you do...

bin_800.jpg

WOW!!! :o

(worship)

It's great to hear that there are more Barks originals in existence. For those of us who've run out of film for their photographic memory, what story/issue is that from?

Thanks, everyone.

The story is "Case of the Sticky Money" from US 42, 1962. To my knowledge, it happens to be the only piece of published art from any "Uncle Scrooge" story prior to 1965 in existence. Steve Geppi's 24 pages from US 59, which recently were on exhibit at GEM, come in second. What's special about this page, however, is that every panel has a great drawing of the ducks. I got another Barks page in the last Heritage auction but not a single panel in that comes close. It is the quality of the art that made this a "must have" for me.

Dimensions: I don't have a measuring tape at hand but Scrooge is drawn exactly the size of a credit card in this panel. It's a real treat to see the large drawings in person.

It's a real treat to see the large drawings in person.

I'll bet. Thanks for sharing!

Complete run of Mickey Mouse Magazine 1935-40.

MMMGroupShot.jpg

WOWOWOWOW!

Great group shot.

If you're willing to scan V2 #s 2, 3, 4, they would complete the gallery at GCD. V4 # 2, 4, 9, 10, 11, probably some others could use replacements too. I'd be glad to upload them if you post them here.

The series is almost unindexed at GCD. Is there any Walt Kelly artwork? (I swear there's a full Kelly bibliography on the web, but I can't find it.)

Congrats.

Jack

This isn't as nice as the other stuff, but the price was right - bought for a dollar at a yard sale yesterday. :banana:

fourcolor367.jpg

QUACK!

Great catch -- one of the tougher Four Colors. Is it a duplicate?

Jack

Donut: Congrats on the $1 FC 367 :).

Selegue: I'll see if I can dig up scans of those issues. Meanwhile, here are a few more close-ups.

Btw., I had a small ulterior motive with the ordering of the group shot: The books are grouped roughly based on grades with the highest grades near the camera

and the lowest furthest away. The first 6 rows only have a couple of books that I'd grade below VF while the 7-8th rows only have a couple above VF. I'd grade 35-40

of the books at or above VF/NM and none below FN. I did the sorting very quickly: the V2#9 in the 6th row is a beauty that rarehighgrade was kind enough to let me

have, for example, and the V2#13 in row 7 is a VF/NM file copy. Aside from that, I'd be extremely interested in any books from rows 7-8 in VF+ or better condition.

The only reason I've been able to get this far is that, by a complete fluke, I was able to buy half a dozen or so high grade collections over only 5 years. I

hope that the owners will see these pictures and feel good about helping me. A particular thanks to moondog and rarehighgrade from the boards for helping me fill

some of the most difficult gaps.

MMMGroupShot1.jpg

MMMGroupShot2.jpg

MMMGroupShot3.jpg

Thanks for the close-ups.

Some gorgeous, straightforward cartooning on those covers. I could imagine Kelly having a hand on some of them, esp. Snow White (V3 #5, 7, 9 -- I really like simple #9) and the animal covers like V4 #7, V3 #8, maybe even V5 #7 and V 3 #12. Isn't that about the time Kelly worked for Disney?

Jack

Donut: Congrats on the $1 FC 367 :).

Selegue: I'll see if I can dig up scans of those issues. Meanwhile, here are a few more close-ups.

MMMGroupShot1.jpg

MMMGroupShot2.jpg

MMMGroupShot3.jpg