• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a picture of an original drawing from Uncle Scrooge 42. I pointed out that this was the earliest published "Uncle Scrooge" page known to exist. The survival of this page has been somewhat of an enigma to all the Barks experts I've consulted.

The page was unknown to collectors until it surfaced at an auction in 1998. At the time, it had white-out pasted between all the panels. This was later removed by the buyer who had it professionally restored. The picture below shows a tiny fleck that was left behind. Note that the empty space between the panels appears brighter: this is because the whiteout protected the paper from the sunlight. Until last week, noone could explain why the whiteout was there.

US42p5_whiteout.jpg

One of my friends told a long time Barks fan about this and she came up with an explanation that I think is absolutely brilliant. I would never have thought of this in a million years, but it makes perfect sense.

This is probably the most difficult Duck related riddle anyone ever asked on the boards, but if someone can explain the purpose of the white-out I'll be extremely impressed.

I am curious about everyone's thoughts regarding the record-high Duck prices in the recent Heritage auction. The August 2006 Heritage auction pushed Duck prices up to a new level and I think this auction may have pushed them up yet another notch.

Do you think this is due to European collectors and the strong euro v. the dollar? Or, do you think there are other reasons?

On the one hand, I have three CGC 9.6 Scrooges (66, 74 & 75) that I am looking to sell/trade and they may have increased in value. But, more importantly in my mind is that I am not sure my budget will allow me to continue to compete for 9.4/9.6 books at these prices.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a picture of an original drawing from Uncle Scrooge 42. I pointed out that this was the earliest published "Uncle Scrooge" page known to exist. The survival of this page has been somewhat of an enigma to all the Barks experts I've consulted.

The page was unknown to collectors until it surfaced at an auction in 1998. At the time, it had white-out pasted between all the panels. This was later removed by the buyer who had it professionally restored. The picture below shows a tiny fleck that was left behind. Note that the empty space between the panels appears brighter: this is because the whiteout protected the paper from the sunlight. Until last week, noone could explain why the whiteout was there.

US42p5_whiteout.jpg

One of my friends told a long time Barks fan about this and she came up with an explanation that I think is absolutely brilliant. I would never have thought of this in a million years, but it makes perfect sense.

This is probably the most difficult Duck related riddle anyone ever asked on the boards, but if someone can explain the purpose of the white-out I'll be extremely impressed.

can we have a hint?

US42p5_whiteout.jpg

Wow. You've piqued my curiosity!

You should submit this to Car Talk as a Puzzler. :)

Edited by James Welborn

Do you think this is due to European collectors and the strong euro v. the dollar?

Yes.

Mostly. But even for European collecors the prices are much higher than before 2006. I've stuck it out so far and more or less mothballed my Duck collection until the current bubble hopefully bursts. I don't like the idea of selling a collection that has taken many years to assemble. I'd never be able to buy another like it again, regardless of whether the prices went up (couldn't afford it) or down (supply would evaporate). In the meantime, I've started buying more OA and other types of comics.

> Does it have to do with lightboxing?

Very good guess, but I think that's unlikely.

> can we have a hint?

Has to do with something that was happening at Dell right around this time. Won't give more clues - will leave it as a unsolved mystery for future readers :)

I agree that part of the Duck prices are currency fluctuations and part is cyclical.

As for tb's puzzle, it must have something to do with the transition from Dell to Gold Key. Perhaps this story was already done when the switch occurred? Perhaps the whiteout was added to cover marks related to Dell's publishing which would now not take place?

Edited by Transplant

Maybe the size/relative dimensions of the printed page changed a little to skinnier comies around that time, meaning that the panel borders were resized slightly?

You are getting very close, but the page layout in 1962 looks exactly like it did in 1961. Or did something strange happen to it for just a few months inbetween(?)

^^

As it happens, the borderless panels lasted for just a few issues before they were abandoned. Barks had to do a lot of editing to US 40, "Oddball Odyssey", to make it conform to the new format and he was not happy about it. By the time US 42 was published, the borders were back. The person who came up with the theory suspected that the publisher pasted the whiteout on the art after the pages were photographed. These unusual circumstances could potentially also explain why this is the only published page of OA prior to 1965 that is known to have survived: it might have gotten stashed away in a filing cabinet somewhere while they were waiting for an editorial decision on borders vs. no borders(?)...

Edited by tb

Did anyone else go to Duckburg at Disney World in Orlando? I had to have my picture taken with Donald, the nephews and AJ.

I think only a duck fan could appreciate this Kodak moment from 1995 or so.

bb

2763964397_3c1ba1e3b0.jpg

I always liked that cover. Here's the OA for the one you don't like, Transplant. Sadly, it's misplaced in a German museum when it really ought to be in my collection... Several German museums purchased Barks originals after a big exhibit there in the mid 90s.

rags2riches.jpg