• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

Awesome book Tranny :applause:
I'm not sure this is the cool nickname I was going for.

lol lol lol I was thinking the same thing when I read Bill's post.

Edited by tth2

Awesome book Tranny :applause:
I'm not sure this is the cool nickname I was going for.

lol lol lol I was thinking the same thing when I read Bill's post.

And I know people in HK, ex-pat. No wait, that's Taiwan. :censored: And you messed the quotes up, too.

Saw these on Ebay and couldn't pass them up. They are both slabbed at 8.0. The colors just jump out. I always liked yellow covers but when I saw this purple one and it was accompanied by the yellow one, I couldn't resist. Both from the Carl Barks collection. #' 120 and 121, Uncle Scrooge.

unclescrooge120front.jpg

unclescrooge121front.jpg

I forgot to mention that I cut up my brothers copy of the Magic Hourglass back in the fifties.

I had to know what it looked like. He was a little upset cause little brother was always messing with his stuff.

I replaced it many years later but by then he didn't care.

I also like BLB flip books.

bb

2946639461_ebdbca5e6b_o.gif

2950537110_44c66dea4c_o.gif

This one makes me dizzy. I added an extra touch which I think is what the artist had in mind.

And Mickey Flasher should be about right. Unfortunately I don't have a scan of the original cover without the animation added.

It is in one of the "for sale" boxes I think. I have 10 boxes containing 1000 comics to sell. It should keep me busy.

bb

2950535324_11eef82abe_o.gif

Animated covers were added to encourage kids to buy cause they were getting something extra like 3D, models and puzzles. It was a brief fad. I don't know if any other companies used this particular trick. I have one more Dell cover that is animated I think. Does anyone know which one?

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

They are both slabbed at 8.0.

This has always been one of the great mysteries to me. Why would someone slab a book from this period in this kind of grade? You won`t even get your slabbing fees back when you sell it.

This has always been one of the great mysteries to me. Why would someone slab a book from this period in this kind of grade? You won`t even get your slabbing fees back when you sell it.

Maybe they were hoping for the PGX bump?

Well, I can only guess at why people do what they do. It could be that one believes it is a great way to preserve the book so that there is less of a chance that something could happen to the book over the years. It also could be that the owner of the book perceives that slabbed books sell for a premium (they do normally), or it could be that they thought it was going to grade out higher when they did it. Finally, maybe they assumed that having it slabbed would alleviate any fears potential buyers might have about restoration. Although going the PGX route wouldn't do that 100% in my mind. These are PGX and the cost is fairly low to slab with that company. Maybe you did not realize they were PGX slabbed. You diffinitely have more of a point if they were CGC'd.

I purchased them already slabbed from Jerry Weist, and I am sure that he did not lose money. So, his plan worked against your thoughts about this. I might be a dummy but he isn't. (thumbs u

in this case I'm sure it was just because of the provenance of this collection.

In other cases, well they are probably just grading mistakes, or tests, by the submitter. I have a daredevil 158 that I submitted that looks 9.4-9.6 but has a 1/4" edge tear. I never even noticed the tear because it blends right in with the cover art. I know that sounds impossible but I've never seen a better hidden tear. The dealer I bought it from had graded it nm+ too - but it came back 7.5. I wouldn't have sent it in if I thought it was a 7.5.

And then sometimes people want to test how cgc will grade certain defects. Maybe they'll send in a worthless book with a coupon cut just for the grading information they get in sending it in, since cgc doesn't publish its standards

Animated covers were added to encourage kids to buy cause they were getting something extra like 3D, models and puzzles. It was a brief fad. I don't know if any other companies used this particular trick. I have one more Dell cover that is animated I think. Does anyone know which one?

bb

Since no one guessed, I will post the cover anyway. I don't have any other animated covers. Does anyone else?

bb

2952327970_1297b99d8a_o.gif

The Shadow may have used this cover to cloud men's minds. Or maybe I saw it in a Hitchcock movie (Vertigo?).

BB Gun, I love all your animated covers you've done - (thumbs u

Me too. Great work :applause:

Thanks! :busy:

I don't need much encouragement. Here are the last two. Sorry they aren't Ducks.

Maybe we can create another animated Rosa cover.

2959684822_599478dcca_o.gif

2959685076_aa6406859f_o.gif

The "Donald Duck" series begins with issue 26. I have been trying to determine which books are considered to be Donald Duck 1-25 and I get conflicting information. I know that there are more than 25 Four Color books featuring Donald. And some say that a couple of the Large Feature comics featuring Donald are considered part of the series. The CGC Registry lists only 23 Four Color books as part of the Donald Duck series prior to DD 26 so they are obviously missing a couple.