• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

great books, but why did you slab "old number 1"? Don't you like reading it? And if its your "old number 1" I'm sure you're not considering selling it, so..?

The next time that I feel like reading it, I will crack it out of its case like Scrooge taking his first dime out from under glass. I mainly got this one slabbed as grading practice .

(thumbs u

Not the best copies? Who cares!? They are FANTASTIC books (and, yes CGC seems tougher on these than other genres)

Southern Hospitality is one of my favourite books - it's not Barks, but it's a great, great story.

Very nice collection.

A recent win that arrived today. This one looks almost as nice as the 9.0 Slight(P) I had to send back earlier this year. Those lines on the spine are on the case not the book.

FOU383a.jpg

These may not be the world's best copies but they are nice and I love the white pages on most of them.

FourColor223CGC45WWBC.jpg

:applause:

I found this on line and made a copy because I thought the art looked good. How does the southern accent translate in Arabic?

Isn't the square guy singing Dixie? For that matter, I don't know how the accent translates in Flemish or German either.

Perhaps Rosa knows?

bb

2945836038_799ab4a285_o.jpg

A recent win that arrived today. This one looks almost as nice as the 9.0 Slight(P) I had to send back earlier this year. Those lines on the spine are on the case not the book.

FOU383a.jpg

Awesome book Tranny :applause:

FOU383a.jpg

I'm not sure this is the cool nickname I was going for.

FOU383a.jpg

hm

I guess the name stays then.

I found this on line and made a copy because I thought the art looked good. How does the southern accent translate in Arabic?

Isn't the square guy singing Dixie? For that matter, I don't know how the accent translates in Flemish or German either.

Perhaps Rosa knows?

bb

While I don't have an answer to that I just noticed that the translated French version of this story has appeared under no fewer than 4 different names!!

Donald au pays des œufs carrés

Donald et le mystère des œufs cubiques

Un poulailler au cœur des Andes

Perdus dans les Andes !

I pulled the 1999 reprint in Picsou 330 and here's the corresponding page (notice it is not reversed) and the "square guy" sings the French version of Old McDonald. Otherwise, the translator used a lot of ellisions in the text to mimick a Southern accent -

67026.jpg.16c9075b7b22840bcac4e993491b6c16.jpg

FOU383a.jpg

hm

I guess the name stays then.

It looks good on the inside too.

bb

2945121725_c6f661b4a3_o.jpg

2945986306_f16dd2c18f_o.jpg

Perhaps Rosa knows?

bb

While I don't have an answer to that I just noticed that the translated French version of this story has appeared under no fewer than 4 different names!!

Donald au pays des œufs carrés

Donald et le mystère des œufs cubiques

Un poulailler au cœur des Andes

Perdus dans les Andes !

[Translated to:

Donald in the country of square eggs.

Donald and the mystery of cubic eggs.

A hen house in the middle of the Andes.

Lost in the Andes!]

I pulled the 1999 reprint in Picsou 330 and here's the corresponding page (notice it is not reversed) and the "square guy" sings the French version of Old McDonald. Otherwise, the translator used a lot of ellisions in the text to mimick a Southern accent -

Panel 5 translates to

"These guys speak our language! God knows how they learned. But it will help us!"

No mention of "pure cornpone" accents, I guess there was no equivalent. Or perhaps they translated from the Flemish version.

The Arabic is reversed because they read right to left I guess.

bb

The Chinese version of the above quote is " 这些人讲我们的语言! 上帝知道他们怎么学会了。 但是它将帮助我们! "

The Arabic is reversed because they read right to left I guess.

That was my assumption.

Interesting thought that the French version could in fact be redacted not from the original English version but from another translation. I would hope that they try and use the original in all cases ... but stranger things have happened before.