• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Firesales

Fire Sales  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Fire Sales

14 posts in this topic

There is a perception out there that a fire sale shouldn't garner 50% off offers. Well...that's the point of a fire sale (aka going out of business sale, dealer's special, etc) isn't it? Clear out some mistakes, take home some cash and fix your financial problems or start over with a better sense of how to manage risk. That's how I buy, especially in bulk. Am I wrong? Let's not operate in a vacuum...I'd like to hear from everyone else on this.

All semantics. Sellers will use the phrase fire sale when what they mean is something else.

And the point about 'it depends what it is' is true. The more liquid and mainstream the less discount should be expected.

Actually, therein lies half the trouble as the seller's perception of liquid and mainstream usually isn't the same as the buyer's. (If it's easy to move why haven't you been able to move it).

A fire sale... at least for me, is putting stuff on ebay with .01 starting bid with no reserve and seeing what happens. Especially since that's the place I most often get burned, so firesale seems like the right term for it. nd I only do that when I want (or need) to clear stuff out quickly.

A fire sale... at least for me, is putting stuff on ebay with .01 starting bid with no reserve and seeing what happens. Especially since that's the place I most often get burned, so firesale seems like the right term for it. nd I only do that when I want (or need) to clear stuff out quickly.

Heh, I do the 1 cent thing as most of you know, and I do reasonable well, but I generally only do it for 2 types of art:

1. I got it cheap enough and/or I'm reasonable confident that I will do fine

2. I really don't want it anymore and don't care what it goes for (plus if I start it at a certain price on eBay of CAF, it either gets no bids or sits)

Malvin

It appears this is directed towards my sale. If it is it is pretty rude. PM instead. IT'S NOT a firesale and I would perfer to keep my art. I am selling less than my cost. I am not going broke or trying to get rid of bad investments. I have had a few medical issues that I am addressing and I perfer to sell a few things rather dip into savings. Personal choice. I have plenty of savings for the bills I just like to keep my savings as high as possible

Brian please don't read anything into my poll going up today. Yes I did see your recent FS post but my poll is actually due to an aggregation of experiences I've had over the recent past. I have a number of posts here going back years where I state that I often offer and get 30-50% off list/ask depending on quantity and 'difficulty' of art in question. You are not the only seller that thinks 50% offers are unworkable (at the outset), that fact notwithstanding many of those deals end up being consummated as I was the only one left at the table or even the only one to begin with. Make of that what you will :)

Brian please don't read anything into my poll going up today. Yes I did see your recent FS post but my poll is actually due to an aggregation of experiences I've had over the recent past. I have a number of posts here going back years where I state that I often offer and get 30-50% off list/ask depending on quantity and 'difficulty' of art in question. You are not the only seller that thinks 50% offers are unworkable (at the outset), that fact notwithstanding many of those deals end up being consummated as I was the only one left at the table or even the only one to begin with. Make of that what you will :)

I'm sorry I took it the wrong way the 50% seemed directed at me. Based everything I know you are a nice guy. I just hate spending savings on medical bills when I have insurance. I like to have as much money as possible just in case for the family and never use family funds for my hobby. I don't think there are many people that save enough money for emergencies.Sort of like the kids story about the ants and the grasshopper.

Fire sale says to me that a seller is very motivated to sell which I would take to mean more than a 20% discount. Closer to 50 than 20 IMHO. But, like already said, this is semantics.

yeh, I think we're really talking the level of desperation here? I'd LIKE to sell it or I MUST sell it.

is it "well, there's a new page I want so I want to fund buying it" vs actually going out of business liquidation or keeping the lights on?

you can offer whatever you want & the seller is going to take the best (reasonable?) offer they receive if they have to sell. the seller is of course not obligated to take your offer if they don't like it.