• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I honestly thought they would change the review embargo date.  I guess noto.O.  Too late in the game to do that now.

The fact that I haven't heard a peep from the Asian continent or any major hype is a bit concerning.  Not :ohnoez: yet...just ominous.

Not sure how this plays out, or even what it means, but it is interesting.  Mashable article looking at how far out from release the critic embargo is lifted relates to the eventual tomato score.  Their conclusion is that movies that lift the embargo further out from release get better tomato scores.  The break point seems to be 2 days or less are almost always rotten and over two days are usually fresh. Here is the article and how it could relate to JL.

http://mashable.com/2017/11/07/justice-league-embargo-critics-reviews-rotten-tomatoes/

Edited by drotto

10 minutes ago, drotto said:

Not sure how this plays out, or even what it means, but it is interesting.  Mashable article looking at how far out from release the critic embargo is lifted relates to the eventual tomato score.  Their conclusion is that movies that lift the embargo further out from release get better tomato scores.  The break point seems to be 2 days or less are almost always rotten and over two days are usually fresh. Here is the article and how it could relate to JL.

http://mashable.com/2017/11/07/justice-league-embargo-critics-reviews-rotten-tomatoes/

This article was just posted by someone else just yesterday. You may have missed this.

Meanwhile, Grace Randolph thinks it should be between the 50% to 70% range due to Joss Whedon's contributions. Though I realize that may be higher than some would like around here.

It would be smart on WB's part to go the early route since there has been positive reactions from China (not sure why AnthonyTheAbyss is saying no word from China - they were shown the 30 minute section but had sign not revealing details - yet positives have gotten out). Wonder Woman should have shown them if you have faith in the movie, and you are getting that early positive reaction - go for it. Don't pizz the critics off by leaving them hanging. They have a job to do too.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This article was just posted by someone else just yesterday. You may have missed this.

Meanwhile, Grace Randolph thinks it should be between the 50% to 70% range due to Joss Whedon's contributions. Though I realize that may be higher than some would like around here.

It would be smart on WB's part to go the early route since there has been positive reactions from China (not sure why AnthonyTheAbyss is saying no word from China - they were shown the 30 minute section but had sign not revealing details - yet positives have gotten out). Wonder Woman should have shown them if you have faith in the movie, and you are getting that early positive reaction - go for it. Don't pizz the critics off by leaving them hanging. They have a job to do too.

The embargo makes very little sense to me at this point from a marketing perspective.  The short embargo is always veiwed by the public as lacking confidence in the film.  It is impossible to turn that into good press.  I know several people who purchased advanced tickets for Thor and Star Wars that have not gotten tickets for JL because they are taking a wait and see approach.  Some good scores could get people like that more excited. And early leaks have generally been good, but I take those with a grain of salt because of the pre-selected nature of those viewers.

If they lift earlier and the reviews are bad, it seems to me that the studio would allow themselves time too put a more positive spin on the reviews by pointing out the positives.  One day does noit allow for any recovery. If they are good you can build momentum.  See how much the early lift helped Thor.

Edited by drotto

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

If they are good you can build momentum.  See how much the early lift helped Thor.

And Wonder Woman - which went from 2 days before release to 13 days before release on its embargo.

Hey, Ma Kent wouldn't lie!

Diane Lane Just Saw Justice League, Here's What She Thinks Of The Film

Now it looks like Lane has finally seen the DC team-up movie, and she's apparently a huge fan. Lane opened up during a recent appearance on Today and explained :

"I'm charmed, I'm thrilled. I just saw the movie and I'm very psyched, I'm very pleased. Lots of surprises and some fabulous acting from everybody. I mean, I was totally impressed."

Any and all reactions to Justice League remain under embargo by Warner Bros., so these remarks by insiders continue to represent our best look into what works in the film. Of course, because of that embargo, Diane Lane also makes sure to keep any significant plot details under tight wraps. Having mentioned this, it's still encouraging to know that Diane Lane seems genuinely "impressed" by what she has seen from the first-ever team-up of DC's most iconic superhero team in terms of the film's surprises, as well as its performances.

Getting more into the specifics of what she liked about Justice League, Diane Lane continued in her appearance on Today and emphasized her enthusiasm for the characters. Lane said:

"Gal Gadot's amazing, obviously and I'm huge fans of everybody in it. We've got Cyborg now; we've got The Flash, now. We've got Aquaman, now. So, a lot more for fans."

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Hey, Ma Kent wouldn't lie!

She's "unfaithful"lol...still looks stunning after all these years(thumbsu.

I regards to China...I heard the initial positive chatter.  But after that there wasn't anything.  No leaks, no grainy cell phone videos, not a peep.  It's bad (in relation to marketing) for there to be any gap in hype (even for a single day this close to opening).

Contrast that to Thor Ragnarok.  There was non stop excitement and video reviews coming out every single day two weeks leading up to it.  We're within that time frame for JL.  There should be more exciting chatter for such a big movie.  I really want this movie to be a success but something feels amiss.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Because

3 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

She's "unfaithful"lol...still looks stunning after all these years(thumbsu.

I regards to China...I heard the initial positive chatter.  But after that there wasn't anything.  No leaks, no grainy cell phone videos, not a peep.  It's bad (in relation to marketing) for there to be any gap in hype (even for a single day this close to opening).

Contrast that to Thor Ragnarok.  There was non stop excitement and video reviews coming out every single day two weeks leading up to it.  We're within that time frame for JL.  There should be more exciting chatter for such a big movie.  I really want this movie to be a success but something feels amiss.

It's like has been noted. WB may have a reason for this other than it is a bad movie (e.g. big reveals in the movie they want to save to the very last moment of opening night). But due to the market leaning towards the negative like Grace Randolph has pointed out in her video, it's the first assumption people make.

"There must be a problem. Why else would they leave the embargo in place until the last day before opening?"

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

And Wonder Woman - which went from 2 days before release to 13 days before release on its embargo.

This is another reason why people are worried about the embargo.  They saw WW was positive so they used it showing WB understands that releasing positive reviews helps a film.  Thus not doing it for JL shows weakness.  They need to drop it this weekend and let it sort itself out.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

It's like has been noted. WB may have a reason for this other than it is a bad movie (e.g. big reveals in the movie they want to save to the very last moment of opening night). But due to the market leaning towards the negative like Grace Randolph has pointed out in her video, it's the first assumption people make.

"There must be a problem. Why else would they leave the embargo in place until the last day before opening?"

Thor released intensionally misleading trailers, so has Star Wars.  There are better ways to hide plot twists then holding back reviews.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Yeah...kinda...maybe.  But that's the point of "non-spoiler" reviews.

I think the fact that there's negative feelings towards the short embargo (deserving or not) is a bad first step.  The fact that we're on this forum discussing possible bad RT scores is another bad first step....and so on and on.

Personally, I'm excited and can't wait.

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

Thor released intensionally misleading trailers, so has Star Wars.  There are better ways to hide plot twists then holding back reviews.

Agreed!

There are most probably big reveals tying into later movies like Green Lantern, Black Adam, Shazam or Man of Steel 2. It can't be Darkseid just yet, as there was some news early on from Whedon the first cut of this movie revealed too much too soon. So supposedly he yanked some appearance near the end.

hm

Or did he?

:ohnoez:

Just now, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Yeah...kinda...maybe.  But that's the point of "non-spoiler" reviews.

I think the fact that there's negative feelings towards the short embargo (deserving or not) is a bad first step.  The fact that we're on this forum discussing possible bad RT scores is another bad first step....and so on and on.

Personally, I'm excited and can't wait.

Going with friends opening night, just like I did for Wonder Woman.

:whee:

6 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I couldn’t care less about the embargo, the movie will speak for itself...and if it’s good, word of mouth will take over...

That more than anything else. So you'll like this.