• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

Johns' lack of experience would make a corporate culture like WB nervous. 

Perhaps that's why he's co-running it with Jon Berg for now, although Berg only has one successful film under his belt in "Elf" himself, so if that's what they were thinking, Berg is a strange choice.  Feige had a seemingly-ideal tutoring phase under Avi Arad from 2000 to 2007.  Feige seemed to take Avad's skill at getting films made and deals done and couple it with his long-standing knowledge of the Marvel Universe, something Arad himself never had.

The Johns/Berg tandem seems far less ideal than what Feige did in grooming for his job.  hm  Given that they put Johns/Berg in control last year, that answers my question--he hasn't had control of the studio long enough for JLA to be entirely his baby.  I'm not sure the same thing applies to Feige with Iron Man, either, since production on that started before Feige took over the studio.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Perhaps that's why he's co-running it with Jon Berg for now, although Berg only has one successful film under his belt in "Elf" himself, so if that's what they were thinking, Berg is a strange choice.  Feige had a seemingly-ideal tutoring phase under Avi Arad from 2000 to 2007.  Feige seemed to take Avad's skill at getting films made and deals done and couple it with his long-standing knowledge of the Marvel Universe, something Arad himself never had.

The Johns/Berg tandem seems far less ideal than what Feige did in grooming for his job.  hm

Agreed, but that is a bit of an understatement as well. lol  It is a much weaker tandem.

I love reading Johns' comics, and thought his GL run was fantastic as a GL fan, but it is still unclear whether he has the same ability as a studio head.

Berg may also be a better guy with numbers and connections in the industry from the production-side. That is something Johns will need time and experience to learn.

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

Berg may also be a better guy with numbers and connections in the industry from the production-side. That is something Johns will need time and experience to learn.

Exactly right.  I know Berg.  I developed a -script with him and Todd Komarnicki after their success with Elf.  A few years later, Jon took a VP position at Warner Brothers.  He's a smart guy, and can fill in any gaps in John's understanding.

12 minutes ago, kimik said:

I love reading Johns' comics, and thought his GL run was fantastic as a GL fan, but it is still unclear whether he has the same ability as a studio head.

Feige didn't have that at first either.  He had no experience at all in film OR comics when he was hired as a producer on X-Men.  He got in just with the force of his personality in impressing Avi Arad coupled with his extensive lifelong knowledge of Marvel Comics characters.

53 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Exactly right.  I know Berg.  I developed a --script with him and Todd Komarnicki after their success with Elf.  A few years later, Jon took a VP position at Warner Brothers.  He's a smart guy, and can fill in any gaps in John's understanding.

Very cool to develop a -script with them! Was it ever produced?

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

Very cool to develop a --script with them! Was it ever produced?

No, I ran into a common problem when developing a -script with a producing team, they wanted different things from the -script.  I would write a draft that pleased one of them,  get notes, then write a draft that pleased the other.  In the end, I wrote a draft that pleased me.  Todd loved it, Jon didn't, so we called it a day.  Interestingly, a strikingly similar idea just sold to the CW last week as a TV series entitled "The End Of the World As We Know It". 

23 minutes ago, nearmint said:
30 minutes ago, kimik said:

Very cool to develop a ---script with them! Was it ever produced?

No, I ran into a common problem when developing a --script with a producing team, they wanted different things from the --script.  I would write a draft that pleased one of them,  get notes, then write a draft that pleased the other.  In the end, I wrote a draft that pleased me.  Todd loved it, Jon didn't, so we called it a day.  Interestingly, a strikingly similar idea just sold to the CW last week as a TV series entitled "The End Of the World As We Know It". 

That sucks. Are either of those two involved in the new series?

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

That sucks. Are either of those two involved in the new series?

No, I don't suspect that anyone swiped my idea.  Just the same idea occurring to two different writers, years apart, and one of them apparently executing it better.  Berg isn't connected to the TV division in any way, and Komarnicki has  been very busy with his own projects.  He wrote Sully, The Madman & the Professor, and is exec producing a new TV series.  I messaged Komarnicki about the sale to CW last week, and we commiserated about the significant similarities. 

3 hours ago, nearmint said:

Exactly right.  I know Berg.  I developed a --script with him and Todd Komarnicki after their success with Elf.  A few years later, Jon took a VP position at Warner Brothers.  He's a smart guy, and can fill in any gaps in John's understanding.

That is so cool!

(worship)

I predict Rotten Tomatoes score of around 50-60%, which is more mixed than negative. I think it will do fine with fans and the GA. This isn't going to be a dark, brooding affair. It may be even be a just by the numbers movie, but audiences don't care as long as they are entertained. You can look at some of the Marvel movies that offered nothing different and yet still did good box-office as evidence of that.

The movie will perform well with the critics they will compare it to the previous 2 movies (Wonder woman and BVS) they will note that it’s an improvement on BVS but doesn’t capture the magic of WW.

Edited by jsilverjanet

Rumor: *SPOILER* In Justice League Confirmed?

Spoiler

Green-Lantern-and-the-Justice-League.jpg

Rumors have long persisted multiple Lanterns will pop up in the ensemble piece, helping set the stage for the Green Lantern Corps. film that’s said to be in development. Recently, a promotional contest seemingly revealed Hal Jordan (or John Stewart, or one of the other Lanterns) is part of the group, but now we may have even more concrete evidence a Green Lantern is part of the League.

Twitter user FIONA IS ALL IN! was one of the many who attended a special event that was put together for the Chinese leg of the Justice League promotional tour. It involved a screening of 30 minutes from the finished movie, and apparently there was a surprise in what was included:

p8Weuws.png

Steppenwolf: "No protectors here... no Lanterns, no Kryptonian. This world will fall, like all the others".  So my theory...

Spoiler

- They have to start the movie with an epic fight scene

- China got to see the first 30 minutes which is the fight seen with the Wonder Ladies before Diana was born (so it is not present day)

- If the green light appeared in the first 30 minutes we can assume it isn't in present day

- Steppenwolf's present day quote is "Lanterns"...not "Lantern"...which mean its the Lantern Corp (otherwise he would have said "Kryptonians")

So...First 30 minutes will be in the past where Steppenwolf fights the Lantern Corp and then the Wonder Ladies once he arrives on earth (Green Lantern won't be part of the present day fight)

I had read that about the China early screening. It makes a lot of sense what you have laid out.

Spoiler

Especially with those lines from Steppenwold, like an old warrior reliving previous battles. So he may have real concerns with any Green Lantern Corps involvement.