• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Like has been discussed on here before, the perfect storm that was 'The Avengers' had a situation where no other Big Team superhero movie had occurred like it before. So it was so unique, people were blown away and made multiple visits to the theater to see this film leading to the massive results.

It will be rare for any superhero movie to match this again due to the steady stream of superhero movies now. Even the Mighty MCU came close to the original results, and still didn't break the barrier with Age of Ultron. Though with all roads leading to Infinity Gauntlet through the entire MCU Universe, I wonder if that is what will break the barrier x 2.

Agreed. I think it will be rare for any movie to come close to that again including future Star Wars. It's just so easy to order something on Amazon Demand in HD for $4.99 in a couple of months. 

I think Wonder Woman came out in June and by early September it was on Amazon for $4.99 and that was a major hit. Other less successful movies are available to stream even quicker. 

So with that I have dropped all my boxoffice expectations now for all movies.

It should be interesting to see what Thor:Ragnorak and Star wars The Last Jedi numbers will be. I am betting those won't be as high as some people think  do to this new accessibility of movies to stream quick factor.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed. I think it will be rare for any movie to come close to that again including future Star Wars. It's just so easy to order something on Amazon Demand in HD for $4.99 in a couple of months. 

I think Wonder Woman came out in June and by early September it was on Amazon for $4.99 and that was a major hit. Other less successful movies are available to stream even quicker. 

It should be interesting to see what Thor:Ragnorak and Star wars The Last Jedi numbers will be. I am betting those won't be as high as some people think  do to this new accessibility of movies to stream quick factor.

I disagree.

Yes - stuff's streaming for $5 within five months now, but folks will still want to go to the theater for big event films.

They'll do it for Thor, they'll do it for Star Wars, and they'll even do it for Transformers 6 next year (or whenever), as well as Fast & the Furious 9 or whatever.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

I disagree.

Yes - stuff's streaming for $5 within five months now, but folks will still want to go to the theater for big event films.

They'll do it for Thor, they'll do it for Star Wars, and they'll even do it for Transformers 6 next year (or whenever), as well as Fast & the Furious 9 or whatever.

Yes, I agree. My wife is dead set on Thor tomorrow and has arranged with the college daughter's return so we can all see it together.

6 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I disagree.

I agree sort of. The difference I see is before streaming became this popular people/families would go see all three Thor. JLA, and Star Wars without hesitation, now I see families not going to all three,but maybe just picking one now because they figure it will be more convenient to stream the others in a few months.

With the event part even Star Wars is losing some of it's luster because one comes out every year now.

It should be very interesting on Feb 1, 2018 to look at the numbers of the new Thor, JLA, and Star Wars movies. They will do good,but I would be surprised if any do Avengers 1 or Star Wars The Force Awakens numbers.

To clarify it doesn't mean the movies will stink it just means streaming is becoming a factor that will affect the box offices.

Same thing happened with Blade Runner 2049 and War of the Planet of the Apes. Two critically acclaimed movies that both would have done much better if released when streaming on demand wasn't so popular as it now.

Sure.

But comparing anything to Avengers or Force Awakens numbers isn't fair -- that's like comparing every movie of the last 20 years to Titanic.

To be clear, I absolutely think Star Wars will break $1.1 billion worldwide but doubt Justice League will do so -- based more that it looks like than on the anticipation for it. Also -- consider that Box Office analysts blamed last weekend's poor box office, at least in part, on people staying home to binge Season 2 of Stranger Things.

Given we now live in that environment, I think it's no mistake that Netflix rescheduled Punisher to debut directly against Justice League -- hoping it will mute its first weekend.

Cast Members Share What They Would Like Fans To Take Away From JUSTICE LEAGUE

ComicBook.com was on hand for the Justice League press junket in London, and to end the session the cast was asked what they want fans to walk away with after Justice League. For Henry Cavill, it boils down to his trademark symbol.

"For me, I hope people walk away from it first of all having enjoyed it and had fun, but more importantly to have it inspire, and to walk away with a sense of hope," Cavill said.

Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa hope people love it enough for a Justice League 2 to happen, as they truly seem to enjoy these characters and their cast-mates. Batman actor Ben Affleck feels the same way, and hopes "that people just have fun and enjoy the ride and get as much enjoyment out of the camaraderie of the group as we did."

Flash actor Ezra Miller has a very specific feeling he wants audiences to have.

"Yeah the exhilaration when you see a film you really like and you're too excited and you can't sleep and you just think about it a lot," Miller said. "I hope some people have that. If you feel even an iota of the excitement we felt making this film, then it's a success."

For Cyborg actor Ray Fisher, he wants audiences to know how much being a part of this team truly means.

"I sincerely hope that people walk away from it and they can feel what it was like for us to be a part of something so much larger than any one of us," Fisher said. "I hope that people walk away with a sense of fulfillment from, for me personally this is like my childhood dream to be able to watch it. Being in it is great, don't get me wrong, but like I hope they feel that same sort of sense that I felt when I was a kid watching Michael Keaton and all the other animated series and movies. I hope they feel that."

13 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sure.

But comparing anything to Avengers or Force Awakens numbers isn't fair -- that's like comparing every movie of the last 20 years to Titanic.

To be clear, I absolutely think Star Wars will break $1.1 billion worldwide but doubt Justice League will do so -- based more that it looks like than on the anticipation for it. Also -- consider that Box Office analysts blamed last weekend's poor box office, at least in part, on people staying home to binge Season 2 of Stranger Things.

Given we now live in that environment, I think it's no mistake that Netflix rescheduled Punisher to debut directly against Justice League -- hoping it will mute its first weekend.

Very good points. I will also agree that the new Star Wars will break over 1 billion. Thanks for pointing out about Netflix rescheduled Punisher to debut directly against  Justice League as I could see that also having an effect. It kind of reminds how the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao fight kind of affected the Avengers 2 box office take.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

If you bother with those things versus just enjoying a movie.

Not saying I will do it, but just look how much people tried to dissect who shot what in Rogue One. But it will be an interesting aside on how they edit two very different directors into a cohesive film.

I want to enjoy JL, I am still having some trouble getting excited about it.

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

Not saying I will do it, but just look how much people tried to dissect who shot what in Rogue One. But it will be an interesting aside on how they edit two very different directors into a cohesive film.

I want to enjoy JL, I am still having some trouble getting excited about it.

Now that Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill are starting to come out and note what didn't work previously with the general audience, I've been thinking that is the hint Zack Snyder is done with the DC productions going forward.

Plus, with Joss Whedon earmarked to work on Batgirl, his path is fresh and starting out strong. Though having two of the biggest superhero movies ever, it's not like WB wasn't falling over itself to get his attention.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now that Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill are starting to come out and note what didn't work previously with the general audience, I've been thinking that is the hint Zack Snyder is done with the DC productions going forward.

Plus, with Joss Whedon earmarked to work on Batgirl, his path is fresh and starting out strong. Though having two of the biggest superhero movies ever, it's not like WB wasn't falling over itself to get his attention.

Despite the terrible event that befell Snyder, it provided WB a point where they could make a clean brake.  After BvS and some of the reported early issues with JL (if you choice to believe them or not), WB was already clearly looking for a way to part ways, and change directions. 

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Hollywood had this problem in the early 60's with the popularity of televisions, making folks stay home more.

But, they adapted with things like making the screens bigger (2:40 aspect ratio - thank you 20th Century Fox.)

I'm sure they'll be something more innovative down the line than 3-D.

Hopefully, better writing for the bigger blockbusters. :wishluck: 

'Justice League' Screenings Reportedly Earned Audience Scores Close To 'Wonder Woman'

A new report from The Wall Street Journal previewed the upcoming film, and hinted at its potential path to success. According to the report, test screenings of the film's final cut have been well received, and have earned audience scores close to Wonder Woman.

As DC fans will remember, Wonder Woman took the pop culture world by storm when it premiered earlier this year. The film debuted at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes, and earned over $100 million at the domestic box office.

The report also suggests that Justice League could have a heroic opening weekend, with a projected domestic opening weekend gross over "more than $100 million." This would be about on par Deadline's most recent projection of the film's opening weekend box office, which ranged from $110 to $120 million.

Anyone have a subscription to the Wall Street Journal?

Can the ‘Justice League’ Keep Up With Offbeat Superheroes?

Supposedly it's an extensive piece on the pending movie. Including the directive from the WB CEO this movie would be no longer than 1 hour 59 minutes.

'Justice League' Runtime Set By WB CEO

A new report from the Wall Street Journal indicates that Justice League is primed for success due to the changes made.

The report states that Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara made the mandate that the film be under two hours in runtime, making it the shortest DC Films movie to date, mentioning Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy having a similar length. Justice League's lighter tone was also discussed in the report, saying that it was present in Snyder's assembly cut of the film and was made more consistent with Whedon's reshoots added to the finished version.

With those reshoots, the gross budget for 'Justice League' went up to around $300 million, which is more than the $250 million for 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice', but under the $316 million for 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'.

All in all, where as early rumors indicated that Warner Bros. execs were all 'doom and gloom' with regards to Justice League, the film's early response and the changes made during production indicate the studio is confident the movie will be successful.

Edited by Bosco685

$300 million for this film to be made?  Using the 2.5 multiplier it needs $750 million to break even?  I'm sure it will do that but this is not going to be a very profitable film for the studios.  I just dont see it hitting the levels that the Avengers films did.