• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

At what point do studios pull back on these massive budgets.  This is not a commentary on JL, but all these movies as a whole.  I think for now we live in a 1 billion is just about a pipe-dream world for most of these movies, but they are being budgeted in a way where the almost must get to that mark to really make money. How long is that sustainable?

2 hours ago, drotto said:

At what point do studios pull back on these massive budgets.  This is not a commentary on JL, but all these movies as a whole.  I think for now we live in a 1 billion is just about a pipe-dream world for most of these movies, but they are being budgeted in a way where the almost must get to that mark to really make money. How long is that sustainable?

If JL is as good as WW :wishluck:, it will be close to $1BB.  I might be overlooking a movie but I don't see anything being released between JL and LJ that will draw audiences other than Coco; that's 4 weeks of pretty clear sailing.

11 minutes ago, paperheart said:

If JL is as good as WW :wishluck:, it will be close to $1BB.  I might be overlooking a movie but I don't see anything being released between JL and LJ that will draw audiences other than Coco; that's 4 weeks of pretty clear sailing.

Well Thor:Ragnarok is still out there, but yeah Justice League really has no competition at all those 4 weeks. Pretty amazing as when was the Christmas season so barren of no blockbusters?

So yeah with this information than definately throw out my conservative 600 million, and look for at least 750 million Worldwide. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 hours ago, drotto said:

This may be one where the WB CEO realized after course-correcting the ship with Wonder Woman they needed to maintain the momentum. So after bringing in Joss Whedon to further assist with keeping the right tone with Justice League, the additional cost may be something they realized had to be done to clear the way for the next movies (Aquaman, Shazam, Wonder Woman 2, Flashpoint).

If that turns out to be the path they took, good on WB execs willing to eat the costs to move this forward.

39 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Well Thor:Ragnarok is still out there, but yeah Justice League really has no competition at all those 4 weeks. Pretty amazing as when was the Christmas season so barren of no blockbusters?

So yeah with this information than definately throw out my conservative 600 million, and look for at least 750 million Worldwide. 

The next 5 or so weeks will be Thor this weekend.  JL with Thor second the next two weekends.  Then likely JL holding number one but Thor a relatively close second till Star Wars hits.

Granted if it was not for Star Wars, the two or three weekends directly before Chrtistmas tend to be weaker box office due to the holiday season.

Edited by drotto

26 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This may be one where the WB CEO realized after course-correcting the ship with Wonder Woman they needed to maintain the momentum. So after bringing in Joss Whedon to further assist with keeping the right tone with Justice League, the additional cost may be something they realized had to be done to clear the way for the next movies (Aquaman, Shazam, Wonder Woman 2, Flashpoint).

If that turns out to be the path they took, good on WB execs willing to eat the costs to move this forward.

That's kind of like what Todd McFarlane did when he spent 3 million on those Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire home run balls. People questioned why he spent so much up front for those balls, and his answer was it got him in the door to to make MLB action figures which added up to a 30 million dollar project.

So he spent the 3 million short-term to make 30 million long term. So yeah these WB executives are playing long term to establish their DCsuperhero movie brand like McFarlane did with his action figure brand.

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

The next 5 or so weeks will be Thor this weekend.  JL with Thor second the next two weekends.  Then likely JL holding number one but Thor a relatively close second till Star Wars hits.

Granted if it was not for Star Wars, the two or three weekends directly before Chrtistmas tend to be weaker box office due to the holiday season.

I am just surprised there is no big chick flick or family animated flick as an alternative competition.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am just surprised there is no big chick flick or family animated flick as an alternative competition.

Actually I did forget about pixar's Coco Thanksgiving weekend. That will likely take number one from JL. Meaning JL could go number two in its second weekend.  It could also mean the road it not as clear for JL as that will drain a lot of family business weekend two.  But it does not seem to have a lot of buzz around it however. The rest of the holiday month will then be a three way battle.

Bad Mom's 2 is the only big chick flic I see, and that is already out so no effect.  There could be another however.

17 minutes ago, drotto said:

there's no way Thor stays #1 or #2 for another 5 weeks

6 minutes ago, paperheart said:

there's no way Thor stays #1 or #2 for another 5 weeks

Just pushed Thor to three because of Coco Thanksgiving weekend. ?.  Thor will go 1,1,2,3 And then stay between 3 and 5 till Star Wars.

Edited by drotto

13 minutes ago, drotto said:

Just pushed Thor to three because of Coco Thanksgiving weekend. ?.  Thor will go 1,1,2,3 And then stay between 3 and 5 till Star Wars.

that seems more likely since there appears to be nothing other than Coco until LJ & Ferdinand

Kevin Feige is Very Excited to See Justice League

Count Feige among those rooting for DC’s cinematic success. In a new interview with Crave, Feige says he doesn’t understand why people would root against DC, and voices his love of Wonder Woman and his high hopes for Justice League.

“I think movies are awesome and people should go out and support awesome movies, and I go support those movies and I thought Wonder Woman was awesome. I can’t wait to see what Geoff Johns and Joss [Whedon] and the gang has done with Justice League. I guess people like rivalries, I guess? I don’t know. But I’m seeing Geoff Johns in a couple weeks for dinner. We went to this Donner event together. ’s Superman is still the best archetype of superhero films. So yeah, just go see cool movies. What are you fighting about?”

I'm definitely going into JL with very low expectations.  I went into WW with the same but was blown away by how good it was so you never know.  Prior to WW I walked out of most DC movies wishing I had just waited to rent it.  BvS was so bad it took me three times to watch it because I couldn't stay awake.  With that said, my only glimmer of hope is Whedon had enough time to work his magic.  If not, I would expect it to be much of the same.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I'm definitely going into JL with very low expectations.  I went into WW with the same but was blown away by how good it was so you never know.  Prior to WW I walked out of most DC movies wishing I had just waited to rent it.  BvS was so bad it took me three times to watch it because I couldn't stay awake.  With that said, my only glimmer of hope is Whedon had enough time to work his magic.  If not, I would expect it to be much of the same.

all 'quants' think alike?   http://mashable.com/2017/11/07/justice-league-embargo-critics-reviews-rotten-tomatoes/#828dFPM22iqd