• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That's just not going to work around here. You're supposed to celebrate a series of dislikes. Then cheer each other on with these dislike.

:baiting:

Reveal hidden contents

I did like the tease about a Legion of Doom. So much great material to source.

DPkQ-baVwAAMnTV.jpg:large

:whee:

Spoiler

Okay, but why wasn't The Joker(not Leto's) meeting with Lex instead of Deathstroke? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to watch my Teen Titans go up in value, but the Joker is in your picture. Don't see Slade anywhere.

10 minutes ago, kdoginohio said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Okay, but why wasn't The Joker(not Leto's) meeting with Lex instead of Deathstroke? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to watch my Teen Titans go up in value, but the Joker is in your picture. Don't see Slade anywhere.

I wonder if they trying to avoid using THAT character as a crutch. Otherwise, the common complaint is..

Spoiler

All DC has as a solid villain is The Joker. All the others are so weak!

21 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Agree with this 100%.

The worst recent example I can think of is Will Smith as Deadshot...I never saw "Deadshot", I saw Will Smith and combined that with the fact he never really wore his signature mask, well...

That's odd, as when I saw Will Smith in the role (one of the few things that worked in that movie), I saw less of the comedy relief and someone that was all about making money to make his daughter's life better. Even with the early assassination scene where he forced his employer to pay double, that was a stone-cold killer that would have no problem taking someone out for the right dollar.

Unless Will Smith portrayed that in other movies.

SPOILER In 'Justice League' Identified

Spoiler

cE5LfsE.png

If you're unfamiliar with Yalan Gur, who first made his debut in 1991's Green Lantern #19, you probably aren't alone. Yalan Gur existed amongst the Corps over two thousand years ago, where he served as the protector of Space Sector 2814.

After the Yellow Impurity in his Lantern ring was almost used against him, the Oans decided to remove it altogether. But in the process, Yalan grew corrupt, and began terrorizing his home sector. He ultimately was stopped by the Guardians of the Universe, dying from his wounds.

As Justice League fans know, Yalan Gur's fate in the DCEU is pretty different. He does end up dying at the hands of Steppenwolf, causing his ring to fly off and find a new owner.

Spoiler

uctpjn3gx8001.png

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Agree with this 100%.

The worst recent example I can think of is Will Smith as Deadshot...I never saw "Deadshot", I saw Will Smith and combined that with the fact he never really wore his signature mask, well...

Yup.

Like Tom Cruise, I only see Will Smith as the actor and not the character in most of his movies.

Now, I have always liked Will Smith's energy he brings to stuff since rap days and "Fresh Prince," but he hasn't taken a lot of risks in his movies, the way Charlize Theron in "Monster" or Christian Bale in "The Machinist" per say.

If he has, let me know, but for the life of me I can't think one role since Independence Day he didn't play "Will Smith." hm 

Please don't say rom coms like "Hitch" or "I am Legend" either. I want low-budget gritty ones where he disappeared into a role. I mean even Tom Cruise did this once or twice in "Magnolia," "Collateral" and to comic perfection "Tropical Thunder."

25 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

neat!

Turns out Snyder almost spilled the beans a year ago, innocently.

Zack Snyder Hinted at 'Justice League's SPOILER a year ago

Spoiler

While fans were excited to see the appearance of Green Lanterns in the DCEU, it turns out that Snyder had actually hinted about not just the appearance of a Green Lantern in Justice League, but specifically that it would be an unusual one over a year ago. In an interview with Collider, Snyder talked about his working relationship with DC Comics Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and had some very interesting things to say about Green Lanterns.

"Geoff and I have had a great working relationship, even on Batman v Superman, and on Wonder Woman we worked together really closely, and we have a project coming up that we want to do together... I can't really talk about that," Snyder said. "His knowledge of comics is just crazy. He's like an encyclopedia of comic books. Like I'll be like, 'Hey, is there a weird Lantern from --?' and he'll be like, 'You know...!' He's just amazing about keeping everything in canon that I've not even heard of -- he goes, 'Yeah, it's back!' Like we'll look through some archive. You know, there's DC-pedia, but he's even crazier than that."

Edited by Bosco685

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if they trying to avoid using THAT character as a crutch. Otherwise, the common complaint is..

Reveal hidden contents

All DC has as a solid villain is The Joker. All the others are so weak!

yeah, it's not like the Loki crutch.

Watched Justice League Saturday afternoon with a friend (big superhero movie fan).

He gave it 8/10.
I give it 6/10.

It felt that a certain character was shoe-horned into this movie, felt like Zach Snyder had intended this movie to be in 2 parts but with Whedon coming on board and whatever the studio was feeling they had to push Snyder's cut of Justice League through an Avengers masher.

And this is what we got, a bland villain with lots of bland minions so we could have the heroes do the punchey-punchey in flashy set pieces, all of the action taking place in a downtrodden grey looking made up country in Eastern Europe.

Sound familiar?

It had its moments, the characters all interacted well together, I loved Ezra Miller as the Flash, Momoa was ok, Ray Fisher was given one range to work in and everyone else was as good as they were in their respective individual movies. Can’t say I’d be interested in seeing a Cyborg movie to be honest.

Justice League does feel like a movie of 2 directors and at times it didn’t really feel like it shared the same universe as MoS & BvS. I also don’t buy Batman bringing the JL together, that should have been Superman’s job, I always had the impression that Batman had Gotham’s interests at heart all the time and was always a reluctant member of the JL.

I would be interested to see if there is a Snyder cut or if there will be an extended edition. In the trailers we see a scene where Alfred is talking to someone and says “he said you’d come”…. Where was that? Who was he talking to?

I enjoyed parts of the movie, I didn't dislike the movie but then again I didn't really like it either, I'm indifferent to it.

Other thoughts…

Spoiler

-          Superman feels shoe horned into this movie, his funny lip only looked strange in the mobile phone footage shown at the start of the movie.

-          I liked seeing the battle from early on and seeing a Green Lantern involved.

-          Superman Vs Justice League, I loved seeing him beat the snot out of the JL, headbutting Wonder Woman into the floor was awesome, the look he gave Flash as he ran around him was hilarious, this should have gone for a bit longer before Lois Lane spoiled things.

-          End credits…. Flash/Superman race, great humour.

-          End credits…. Urgh, more Lex Luthor yawn. Deathstroke, presumably to setup the Batman film, didn’t really care.

-          Steppenwolf…. Yawn and then he gets beat so easily by Superman then is swarmed by his own parademons, nah I didn’t really care by this point.

-          Danny Elman’s score, you really had to focus to hear the old 89 Batman theme, I could barely hear it. The rest of the score was pretty generic which has been the case for most Elfman soundtracks for a while.

Edited by bane

37 minutes ago, bane said:

Watched Justice League Saturday afternoon with a friend (big superhero movie fan).

He gave it 8/10.
I give it 6/10.

It felt that a certain character was shoe-horned into this movie, felt like Zach Snyder had intended this movie to be in 2 parts but with Whedon coming on board and whatever the studio was feeling they had to push Snyder's cut of Justice League through an Avengers masher.

And this is what we got, a bland villain with lots of bland minions so we could have the heroes do the punchey-punchey in flashy set pieces, all of the action taking place in a downtrodden grey looking made up country in Eastern Europe.

Sound familiar?

It had its moments, the characters all interacted well together, I loved Ezra Miller as the Flash, Momoa was ok, Ray Fisher was given one range to work in and everyone else was as good as they were in their respective individual movies. Can’t say I’d be interested in seeing a Cyborg movie to be honest.

Justice League does feel like a movie of 2 directors and at times it didn’t really feel like it shared the same universe as MoS & BvS. I also don’t buy Batman bringing the JL together, that should have been Superman’s job, I always had the impression that Batman had Gotham’s interests at heart all the time and was always a reluctant member of the JL.

I would be interested to see if there is a Snyder cut or if there will be an extended edition. In the trailers we see a scene where Alfred is talking to someone and says “he said you’d come”…. Where was that? Who was he talking to?

I enjoyed parts of the movie, I didn't dislike the movie but then again I didn't really like it either, I'm indifferent to it.

Other thoughts…

Reveal hidden contents

-          Superman feels shoe horned into this movie, his funny lip only looked strange in the mobile phone footage shown at the start of the movie.

-          I liked seeing the battle from early on and seeing a Green Lantern involved.

-          Superman Vs Justice League, I loved seeing him beat the snot out of the JL, headbutting Wonder Woman into the floor was awesome, the look he gave Flash as he ran around him was hilarious, this should have gone for a bit longer before Lois Lane spoiled things.

-          End credits…. Flash/Superman race, great humour.

-          End credits…. Urgh, more Lex Luthor yawn. Deathstroke, presumably to setup the Batman film, didn’t really care.

-          Steppenwolf…. Yawn and then he gets beat so easily by Superman then is swarmed by his own parademons, nah I didn’t really care by this point.

-          Danny Elman’s score, you really had to focus to hear the old 89 Batman theme, I could barely hear it. The rest of the score was pretty generic which has been the case for most Elfman soundtracks for a while.

I think this is a spot on review.  Exactly the same view I had when I saw the film.

1 hour ago, bane said:

Good review.

My only difference of opinion is with Ray Fisher. I think for what he was given for a role (a half man-half robot trying to deal with what he is going forward and what he lost), I think he put more into the role than maybe you may have caught.

With the interaction between Cyborg and Barry Allen, I would rather 'Cyborg: The Movie' becomes 'World's Finest' as I am not sure a single-character movie would work now that he has been introduced.

Just saw it yesterday and pretty much agree Bane's review.   I'd rate it slightly higher than a 7.  I enjoyed it for what it was; mindless popcorn fun.   Seemed like "The Avengers" with DC Characters though.  Wife liked it and my 9 year old daughter thought it was "the best movie ever". 

Wonder Woman has become the star, for sure.  She's good in every scene.  I enjoyed the Flash a lot as well (the audience seemed to like him a lot too.  Lots of laughs courtesy of him).  I thought the post-credit scene with Superman was great.

Batman was back and forth for me.  I think it's definitely the best bats costume, by far, but sometimes he seemed to just be Ben Affleck (and I really liked him in BvS).  The "Alfred" thing that Bosco mentioned earlier was a real head-scratcher to me. 

Wife did comment on Superman at the beginning; "Hey, that's a different guy!", so the CG mustache thing was really noticeable (and not just to us comic nerds). 

Villain was just "meh".   Standard bad-guy with no real interesting motivation(s).   Again, it felt like "Avengers" to me. 

Aquaman was ok.   He was just kind of there to be the badarse.  Not sure about the movie based on what I saw in JL.

Cyborg was interesting and has some potential, I think.   Would have preferred the finished look of the costume (that we saw at the end), but that's a very minor gripe. 

I thought the movie moved at a good pace; certainly faster than BvS. 

I'd rank it the #2 DC movie so far, behind WW and just ahead of BvS.   Light years ahead of Suicide Suck. 

Edited by chrisco37

46 minutes ago, bane said:

My ranking of DCEU movies:

#1 - Wonder Woman/Man of Steel
#2 - Justice League/Batman V Superman Extended Cut (sue me!)
#100 - Suicide Squad

The Extended Cut of BVS should have been the complete removal of Luthor and Doomsday.

1 minute ago, Comicopolis said:

The Extended Cut of BVS should have been the complete removal of Luthor and Doomsday.

After watching WW & JL I've come to the conclusion that BvS was an utter mistake. 

Warner Bros. were at a junction, it said
"Go Left and make BvS, Suicide Squad & JL"
"Go Right and make WW, Man of Steel 2, New Green Lantern, JL" 

3 minutes ago, bane said:

After watching WW & JL I've come to the conclusion that BvS was an utter mistake. 

They definitely made some bad choices. I hope they can correct them now but the second after credit scene in JL makes me think not.

30 minutes ago, bane said:

When getting flamed by critics (some justified, most not when it came to Man of Steel), they most probably felt there was a game-changer needed. So Snyder convinced them to do BvS.

At least with MoS, Nolan was the producer and kept things in check. Even the final fight scene between Zod and Superman, Snyder had to clear it with Nolan on the final results. Once WB wanted something more, I get the feeling Snyder wanted to be his own man and so they let him have it. So he jammed it full of all sorts of fan goodies. I'm not sure Nolan would have allowed a story to go that route. But the end result was worse critic reviews (overly harsh probably due to Snyder driving the train).

I did notice with Justice League, one of the Executive Producers was Christopher Nolan. What does that even mean if his name is still plugged into these movies?

What do Executive Producers do?

The role of the Executive Producer is to oversee the work of the producer on behalf of the studio, the financiers or the distributors. They will ensure the film is completed on time, within budget, and to agreed artistic and technical standards. An Executive Producer may be a producer who has raised a significant proportion of a film's finance, or who has secured the underlying rights to the project. In major productions, the Executive Producer may be a representative or CEO of the film studio. In smaller companies or independent projects they may be the creator or writer.Typically, Executive Producers are not involved in the technical aspects of the filmmaking process, but have played a crucial financial or creative role in ensuring that the project goes into production. There may be several Executive Producers on a film who may take the lead role in a number of areas, such as development, financing or production.

Executive Producers must be excellent negotiators. They need a keen business sense, and an intimate knowledge of all aspects of film production, financing, marketing and distribution. 

I guess he helped with the funding.

Went and saw it this weekend with my 2 nephews and niece. I liked it for what it is, a superhero punch em up movie which is what I'm looking for. I wasn't expected some oscar worthy movie but I do wish there was a little more comedy. Honestly think that DC is a at a huge disadvantage to Marvel in that area. Marvel's characters just fit the big screen better and IM really just brings it all together. Neither Batman or Superman could fill that role. Batman is too serious and Superman is too much the boy scout but they are true to the comics which is what I was expecting. The only reason WW really worked was the humor of her being out of place and so clueless on the world of man now. In JL that was gone. 

Solid movie, I'd say my favorite DC movie so far just because hell, it's the JL and to see them all together was really cool. 

Spoiler

Even though I like Eisenberg as an actor just not thrilled about the end screen other than a JL versus LoD sounds pretty cool but lots of characters need to develop first in solo movies I'd guess.

One thing I failed to mention in my quick review was that I don't understand the critic response (at least the initial wave of poor reviews).  Not sure what they were really expecting??? 

As I said in my review, the audience seemed to enjoy the comedic Flash quips and also some of the corny Batman lines.  Everyone likes/loves WW.  I didn't hear anyone in the theater saying it was "bad" or "no good" or "boring", etc...