• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Agreed that to me it was terrible - hence the IMO. 

Also, not sure that Justice League won't make as much as Suicide Squad - but again I don't really care.

I will watch Justice League and form my own opinion of it, like I have for every movie I have ever watched.  I am hoping I like it (and think I will) and I am hoping there will be a sequel, just like I am still hoping for a Man of Steel 2!

Justice League cost way more than Suicide Squad to make, so even if JL barely beats SS(debatable) at the box office it still won't be as profitable as SS.

So in other words more people wanted to go see her at the box office than go see the Justice League. Pretty amazing if you think about it.

88f7669948d4b47aca7804907684f601--character-portraits-pretty-girls.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

43 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I guess separating them the DCEU makes sense(shrug).  But this isn't a situation like Spiderman who's rights are shared.  DC 100% owns them.

If you ask me to list the best DC movie it should be a comprehensive list (not just limited to the 5 currently in the DCEU).  From Wonder Woman to Catwoman.

But thanks for clarifying(thumbsu

I feel that V For Vendetta and Watchmen deserve so much more respect than they received. Though with the latter, Nolan nailed it when he told Snyder "Too soon!"

Constantine is another one that I really enjoy. They did a good job pulling together a solid story, great cast and well-done CGI. His visit to Hell is wildly well done, and his encounter with Lucifer is fantastic.

The best superhero movie ever made is Dark Knight, so I agree, I think of all the DC films together because if I don't I'm leaving the best ones out.

It's difficult for me to even imagine a superhero film ever being better than Nolan's second.  I accept it as a theoretical possibility, but I'm not expecting it to happen during my lifetime.  I hope I'm wrong and it does!  :wishluck:

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I feel that V For Vendetta and Watchmen deserve so much more respect than they received. Though with the latter, Nolan nailed it when he told Snyder "Too soon!"

Constantine is another one that I really enjoy. They did a good job pulling together a solid story, great cast and well-done CGI. His visit to Hell is wildly well done, and his encounter with Lucifer is fantastic.

v for vendetta was in my top 3 that year.  i simply love the flick.

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The best superhero movie ever made is Dark Knight, so I agree, I think of all the DC films together because if I don't I'm leaving the best ones out.

It's difficult for me to even imagine a superhero film ever being better than Nolan's second.  I accept it as a theoretical possibility, but I'm not expecting it to happen during my lifetime.  I hope I'm wrong and it does!  :wishluck:

i think of spidey 2, dk and the avengers comprising a triumvirate of "best comic movie" imo,  but even this marvelite/spidey-lover-from-youth admits dk probably first among equals.

40 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Agreed!

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Agreed that to me it was terrible - hence the IMO. 

Also, not sure that Justice League won't make as much as Suicide Squad - but again I don't really care.

I will watch Justice League and form my own opinion of it, like I have for every movie I have ever watched.  I am hoping I like it (and think I will) and I am hoping there will be a sequel, just like I am still hoping for a Man of Steel 2!

Justice League cost way more than Suicide Squad to make, so even if JL barely beats SS(debatable) at the box office it still won't be as profitable as SS.

So in other words more people wanted to go see her at the box office than go see the Justice League. Pretty amazing if you think about it.

I think that for better or worse, Harley Quinn is the most 'relatable' DC character to the 'youth' of today.  I think Marvel has gone the route of reliability, and that's a huge part of the appeal. 

DC movies haven't really had the "If I was Superman/Batman, would I (or someone I know) might be like that character on the screen?"  If you were a billionaire genius, would you like to believe you'd be like Batman? or Tony Stark (at least from the movies)?  If you were an 'alien' god walking around earth, would you like to believe you're more like Thor or like Superman?  Who do you think relates better?  Not that you HAVE to relate to have a successful movie, but Marvel has navigated that path very well, whereas DC has touched on that really just with Harley and Wonder Woman (and to a lesser extent Flash and possibly Aquaman). 

But Marvel does that non-stop, and it works.  You can imagine your (great) grandpa as Captain America, picture yourself or your neighbor as the Falcon, the hottest athletic girl at your college as black widow, and all act within that vein. 

And I think Harley taps into that same vein, for better or worse.

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Why do people keep excluding movies like Green Lantern, Batman (Nolan Trilogy), Watchmen, Jonah Hex, etc. off their list of DC movies?

The DC universe isn't exclusive to Man of Steel, BvS, WW, Suicide Squad, and JL.

Going back to Jonah Hex, as much as Josh Brolin promises to do what he can to go back one day and fix this film, I'd love to see him do it.

Jonah-Hex-movie-image-Josh-Brolin-9-600x

Though worst-case what could happen is he becomes part of the executive backing of a better constructed film. But what a shame what they did to this film.

39 minutes ago, revat said:

I think that for better or worse, Harley Quinn is the most 'relatable' DC character to the 'youth' of today.  I think Marvel has gone the route of reliability, and that's a huge part of the appeal. 

DC movies haven't really had the "If I was Superman/Batman, would I (or someone I know) might be like that character on the screen?"  If you were a billionaire genius, would you like to believe you'd be like Batman? or Tony Stark (at least from the movies)?  If you were an 'alien' god walking around earth, would you like to believe you're more like Thor or like Superman?  Who do you think relates better?  Not that you HAVE to relate to have a successful movie, but Marvel has navigated that path very well, whereas DC has touched on that really just with Harley and Wonder Woman (and to a lesser extent Flash and possibly Aquaman). 

But Marvel does that non-stop, and it works.  You can imagine your (great) grandpa as Captain America, picture yourself or your neighbor as the Falcon, the hottest athletic girl at your college as black widow, and all act within that vein. 

And I think Harley taps into that same vein, for better or worse.

^^

Saw the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it with my wife, daughter and son-in-law.  All of us enjoyed it and I would pay to see it again.  Not sure why people are not giving it a chance and checking it out other than they needed big time positive reviews, like with WW, to give them courage to spend the money.  While I rank WW higher, I would put this one above way above BvS.  It's more enjoyable, funnier and overall had a better tone than some of the other DC movies. 

Here a few observations. 

Spoiler

1.  The opening scene with Batman was pure gold.  Finally, I get the hero version of Batman that's worth pulling for in the story.

2.  The backstory of Steppenwolf was cool.  Reminded me of LOTR ring backstory to a certain extent, but well done.  Give me Amazonians all day every day!

3.  Atlantis scene was very good as well and Aquaman, while different than the one I am used to seeing, was a good changeup.

4.  Trailers totally ruined the funniest lines in the movie.  The humor fell flat in our theater but maybe that was because there were only about 15 people. 

5.  Ezra Miller was very good.  While I was disappointed they didn't go with Grant Gustin, Ezra is a good one too as he brought the humor.  

6.  I agree with others that the early part of the movie seemed disjointed and merely checked the boxes of getting each character into the movie.  But once this movie hits stride, it was very good.

7.  Could do without my heroes drinking scotch and giving out a few dirty words.  Call me an old timer, but I still prefer the G rated versions of these guys.  Marvel seems to hit this aspect of their movies just right.

8.  Reduce the bulk in Batman's suit and give the Flash something that looks less rigid.  In fact both characters looked like they couldn't move in their suits.  It's a small item but one that distracted me a few times.

One final item:  When does the Flash time travel scene that was featured in the BvS movie pay off?  I was expecting it in this movie.  Did it hit the cut room floor during editing?

Edited by 40sJohn

2 minutes ago, 40sJohn said:

Saw the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it with my wife, daughter and son-in-law.  All of us enjoyed it and I would pay to see it again.  Not sure why people are not giving it a chance and checking it out other than they needed big time positive reviews, like with WW, to give them courage to spend the money.  While I rank WW higher, I would put this one above way above BvS.  It's more enjoyable, funnier and overall had a better tone than some of the other DC movies. 

Here a few observations. 

Reveal hidden contents

1.  The opening scene with Batman was pure gold.  Finally, I get the hero version of Batman that's worth pulling for in the story.

2.  The backstory of Steppenwolf was cool.  Reminded me of LOTR ring backstory to a certain extent, but well done.  Give me Amazonians all day every day!

3.  Atlantis scene was very good as well and Aquaman, while different than the one I am used to seeing, was a good changeup.

4.  Trailers totally ruined the funniest lines in the movie.  The humor fell flat in our theater but maybe that was because there were only about 15 people. 

5.  Ezra Miller was very good.  While I was disappointed they didn't go with Grant Gustin, Ezra is a good one too as he brought the humor.  

6.  I agree with others that the early part of the movie seemed disjointed and merely checked the boxes of getting each character into the movie.  But once this movie hits stride, it was very good.

7.  Could do without my heroes drinking scotch and giving out a few dirty words.  Call me an old timer, but I still prefer the G rated versions of these guys.  Marvel seems to hit this aspect of their movies just right.

8.  Reduce the bulk in Batman's suit and give the Flash something that looks less rigid.  In fact both characters looked like they couldn't move in their suits.  It's a small item but one that distracted me a few times.

One final item:  When does the Flash time travel scene that was featured in the BvS movie pay off?  I was expecting it in this movie.  Did it hit the cut room floor during editing?

I think you partially answered your own question but saying its WAY better than BVS.  A lot of folks found BvS and/or SS and/or MOS in the terrible-to-ok range.  So they're not giving JL the benefit of the doubt, especially with only lukewarm reviews.  I think the same can be said for SOME of the critics.  They've used up their goodwill, and won't be given the benefit of the doubt by critics either.  And that's even WITH the Wonder Woman goodwill built in, that's how much a large portion of critics did not like the other three DCEU's.  Kind of the opposite of what Marvel has in terms of goodwill. 

11 minutes ago, revat said:

I think you partially answered your own question but saying its WAY better than BVS.  A lot of folks found BvS and/or SS and/or MOS in the terrible-to-ok range.  So they're not giving JL the benefit of the doubt, especially with only lukewarm reviews.  I think the same can be said for SOME of the critics.  They've used up their goodwill, and won't be given the benefit of the doubt by critics either.  And that's even WITH the Wonder Woman goodwill built in, that's how much a large portion of critics did not like the other three DCEU's.  Kind of the opposite of what Marvel has in terms of goodwill. 

I agree there were folks that didn't care for MoS. And some of those same folks didn't care for BvS. That's clear. But there were also many that did like those two movies. And especially MoS and BvS Ultimate Cut. So you would think they would hang in there. And with the WW results, even more so.

The critic response definitely left a deep cut. But much of the early social media noted 'flawed' but 'fun and entertaining'. Yet the critic view won out?

6 minutes ago, paperheart said:

I agree with 4. However I think many people here want DC to follow Marvels path and I think that ship has sailed.

Just now, Bosco685 said:
19 minutes ago, revat said:

I agree there were folks that didn't care for MoS. And some of those same folks didn't care for BvS. That's clear. But there were also many that did like those two movies. And especially MoS and BvS Ultimate Cut. So you would think they would hang in there. And with the WW results, even more so.

The critic response definitely left a deep cut. But much of the early social media noted 'flawed' but 'fun and entertaining'. Yet the critic view won out?

There's certainly TRUE comic book fans who see 90% of comic movies regardless.  But for someone younger or somebody's wife/gf or the 5th or 6th person in a group of friends, they have less interest in seeing they perceive as BvS 2, now with even more characters they've never heard of, especially if RT still sucks.  YES, if you already have SOME interest in Justice League you might read deeper into the reviews, but many people don't. 

So even though lots of people still want to see it and end up enjoying it, maybe this time they don't take their gf/bf/kid/extra friend, or maybe they don't see it opening night because they don't think they're going to want to see it more than once, or maybe they can't justify paying extra for 3d or imax.  That's a lot of lost dollars.  Or maybe some people set a RT threshold. 

For example, i'll use my own experiences.  My wife and I typically go to comic movies on opening night with a SUPER MOVIE/COMIC lover (some might say bosco-type), and he likes to invite a bunch of people and arranges everything.  He's a good guy and he knows a lot and makes it fun.  THOR has been my wife's LEAST favorite Marvel franchise, and so set a high bar for RT for HER to go see the movie.  She's not gonna go digging around for reviews or whatever, she has no interest in Thor other than Loki, if we're being honest.  But Thor hit the threshold of 80% or whatever, so we all went to see the movie.

But Justice League didn't release the RT, and my wife HATED BvS, so there's no way she's going opening night without a RT score.  So they released the score late, so we obviously weren't going opening night, and now the score is low, my wife wanted a 90% RT, so she's def not seeing it at all.  And now most of my friends have seen it, and most people who haven't don't want to.  I'll probably end up seeing it because I'm sure there are some very memorable scenes and I'm sure I'll be entertained, but I'm not in a hurry either, and our home movie set up is pretty good.

*My wife isn't really into comics, but she's actually pretty open to see the movies, but if its a sequel, it definitely matters how the previous one went.

35 minutes ago, paperheart said:

(Summary of article)...

1. Assume Wonder Woman was a fluke.
2. Sell the movies as events entirely outside of their existence within the DC Films continuity.
3. Keep those budgets in check!
4. Deemphasize the Cinematic Universe.
5. Keep Green Lantern in the continuity.
6. Diversity, diversity, diversity!
7. Make Teen Titans Go to the Movies! a part of the DCU.

Good article.  Not because I agree with it but because it comes up with new ideas (not the standard "get rid of Snyder and reboot" answer).

1.  I agree

2.  Sure...I agree

3.  Duh (that shouldn't even need to be stated)

4.  Sure...I agree

5.  I never thought of this (A+ for thinking outside the box)

6.  That Michael Bendis move from Marvel to DC makes this a real possibility

7.  Um what?!?!? (Again, A+ for thinking outside the box)

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Seriously, get rid of Affleck