• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I agree with 4. However I think many people here want DC to follow Marvels path and I think that ship has sailed.

I actually quite like that DC's movies tend to be tonally quite different to Marvel's.

Provides some variety.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I actually quite like that DC's movies tend to be tonally quite different to Marvel's.

Provides some variety.

that for me is the big attraction as well. I think they should continue down that path but with a different person at the helm. While I like Snyder's work it's apparent that he does rub some people the wrong way

24 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I never heard your opinion of Inhumans after being one of the few who were positive on it

Maybe my drastically reduced expectations caused me to enjoy it. I found it quite engaging by the third episode and Karnak ended up being a standout.  It did have a somewhat rushed feeling to it and they really copped out with Medusa's hair in the first episode, but, like most things if you enjoy the characters you will always find something to like, even if it's just the Easter eggs. :)

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I see you're still refusing to post the correct budget of $300MM for this movie for some reason... :baiting:

-J.

Oh, did Box Office Mojo finally confirm an official number? I'll have to check.

:insane:

I still don't think losing Zack Snyder is the biggest problem here -- he's got an effective style for the genre, even with the pacing/editing issues.

In my mind, the most important thing is the writing (which in turn brings the characters to life). 

A strong -script does wonders, but so far the recent DC movies have not had tight, engaging, worthy dialogue.  Get back to basics.  The actors are doing all they can, but a lot of it is weak.

Dan

15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Maybe my drastically reduced expectations caused me to enjoy it. I found it quite engaging by the third episode and Karnak ended up being a standout.  It did have a somewhat rushed feeling to it and they really copped out with Medusa's hair in the first episode, but, like most things if you enjoy the characters you will always find something to like, even if it's just the Easter eggs. :)

-J.

You said it was going to be landmark television. :roflmao:

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:
3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

he meant landfill.

Unfortunately, since its a licensed property it will be remembered a while down the road as one of the worst TV shows of all-time.

Soon, Phoenix and Manimal will fall of the "Worst" list. :wishluck: 

I watched the whole thing, unfortunately, I'm not even sure its the 'worst'.  Its actually starts awful and ends at just 'meh', entirely forgettable, other than the terrible set construction of attilan.  So the result is even worse than 'bad', which might become some type of odd cult classic or anti-establishment prize (like showgirls?).  You just feel nothing for the last 5 episodes, with a slight smile when Karnak gets to wet his whistle, and some confusion when Black Bolt finally puts on his more well-known costume.

28 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

I will go see this movie but I have to say that it makes me smile to see that DC bungled another movie. A Cyborg spin off has already been cancelled.

I don’t think that’s a bad move.  I thought Cyborg was a cool character for JL but I don’t see him carrying a film.  At least in this universe.   

My daughter liked him as she was familiar with him from TT Go! If they did a Kid-friendly Cyborg movie, that could make them some coin.  But a stand-alone Cyborg flick in the current universe?  I’d shelve it too.

The Atom has his own tiny little Easter egg in Justice League

ryan-choi-atom.jpg?itok=fmzVLXSm

You almost need an electron microscope to see it, but easter eggs like this one are the kind of stuff that makes movies based on comic books so much fun.

Mind you, it’s best not to take it as anything more than an itty-bitty shout-out — at least for now — but it seems that Justice League’s growing reputation for folding in tons of fan service also includes an oh-so-fleeting, easy-to-miss reference to the Atom.

A very dedicated Reddit user who goes by the name of naelps singled out the apparent reference, screen-freezing the movie’s frantic S.T.A.R. Labs scene to zero in on one of the lab’s computer terminals. Appearing there is a name familiar to fans of DC’s short-lived Brave New World comics series from the mid-2000s.

Qa0f8FG.png

The highlighted name is that of Ryan Choi, who’s among the most recent in a line of scientists in DC lore to take up the Atom moniker. First introduced in Brave New World, Ryan Choi was probably the best-loved thing about that cycle, headlining a spinoff 2006 series — The All-New Atom — that ended up dispensing with his character after 25 installments in an unceremonious fashion that irked some fans.

I Enjoyed Justice League and It's Okay if You Did Too

What happens when a movie makes some people cheer with delight, and others ask for an end to the franchise? Justice League drew some very diametrically opposite reactions within the Gadgets 360 team, which got us wondering whether it really deserves the terrible 41 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Our own review wasn't particularly positive either, but as we've argued in the past, critics and the audience seldom agree on what works for them.

But the divide between a fan and a critic isn't as sharp this time around. Our review used the words "rushed", "by the numbers", and "mind-numbing" to describe the film, and they certainly apply. But beyond that, Justice League is also a film that has the potential to be amazing. With the success of Wonder Woman (and more generally, of Marvel's cinematic universe) there's been a mandate to lighten up the DC Extended Universe (DCEU), the Warner Bros. shared superhero universe. And while it doesn't always work - consider Suicide Squad, and then repress the memory again - in the case of Justice League, it's definitely made a difference.

Some of the better lines - particularly the ones given to Ezra Miller's Flash - were already shown in the trailers, and there's more where that comes from. The overall tone of the movie is lighter and weirder than Batman v Superman, which is what this film is a direct follow-up to.

As of now, there's a certain tendency to dismiss DC's movies out of hand, rather than enjoying them for what they are. It doesn't help that the more DC extreme fanbase is willing to threaten and relentlessly troll people who don't agree with them, but there's also a sense that you shouldn't enjoy such films, and that's just nonsense.

Justice League is a thoroughly mediocre movie in many senses, but one that is very enjoyable nonetheless. And if you liked it too - there's nothing wrong with that at all because no one should feel bad about the pop-culture they enjoy, regardless of what the people are saying on Twitter.