• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Four words that will cause books to heat up in the next three months:

Spielberg's Ready Player One

Interesting thought but I don't see many movie attendees running to their local comic shop after the show.  The book made me re-listen to a ton of old songs and checked out some old movies but reading old comics was not on my list and I'm around books all day long.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, Jimbo749 said:

I think Ready Player One may also heat up some of the "retro" gaming market.

and the retro D&D module market... if there is such a thing

It's been a few years since I read RPO, but I don't remember any specific comics or characters mentioned.

22 minutes ago, Hekla said:

and the retro D&D module market... if there is such a thing

It's been a few years since I read RPO, but I don't remember any specific comics or characters mentioned.

I just read it recently, and the only thing about comics I remember is that Aech had several longboxes of comics that were "mysteriously" knocked over.

A lot of stores and online retailers boycotted the lenticular covers. Readers who just frequent local shops might not even know there is a lenticular cover for Thanos #13. We only had  one store out of five in my area that sold lenticulars and that shop only had about 4 or 5 to sell. All the shops sold out of  13 regular cover but you can basically find issues 1-12 of Thanos now. Besides the hype around #13 it wasn't a heavily solicited title.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:30 PM, Mapleleafvann said:

This is the regulat cover for Thanos 15.....sold out and the price is up in the aftermarket....not sure how much now.  Regardless, what's your scoop??

Thanos #15 with the Liefeld-esque cover tribute 'art' where the characters fist is larger than one's head? :p

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

9 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Why would the lenticular Thanos 13 be less than the non?  Aren't they equally printed?  

Did people hate the lenticulars that much? 

Patrick

The early lenticulars were increase previous order base. I think they relaxed this later but I'm not positive.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/23/industry-revolt-retailers-boycott-marvel-lenticular-covers/

And no, in almost all cases the cover A will be the highest printed cover. 

Edited by ygogolak

23 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I just read it recently, and the only thing about comics I remember is that Aech had several longboxes of comics that were "mysteriously" knocked over.

The movie is different than the book.  Check out the trailers.  Some characters that were not major players in the book, are major players in the movie.  Probably because Warner owns the rights.  Books related to those characters could see a bump.  Two especially come to my mind based on the trailers, and the trailers are not the end all be all of the movie. 

24 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The movie is different than the book.  Check out the trailers.  Some characters that were not major players in the book, are major players in the movie.  Probably because Warner owns the rights.  Books related to those characters could see a bump.  Two especially come to my mind based on the trailers, and the trailers are not the end all be all of the movie. 

Just watched a easter egg analysis of the trailer,  because I was still drawing a blank.  Spotted Deadpool,  Harley, Joker,  and a few others.  If his father named him Wade Watts to have a cool name superhero name like Peter Parker or Bruce Banner,  does that heat up Spidey and Hulk? 

4 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

Just watched a easter egg analysis of the trailer,  because I was still drawing a blank.  Spotted Deadpool,  Harley, Joker,  and a few others.  If his father named him Wade Watts to have a cool name superhero name like Peter Parker or Bruce Banner,  does that heat up Spidey and Hulk? 

None of those are the two characters which appear to be featured (more than cameos) based on the trailer and certain comments made in the media.  I am thinking of two characters who have not been in movies since before the turn of this century, but who have a significant following such that their role in this movie would delight their fan bases and might lead to demand.  And, yes, I'm being cagey and trying to see if anyone reaches the same conclusion I do.  Both appeared in U.S. comics that came out in the 90s (maybe 80s and 90s for one character), and those are what I'd expect to see have a bump.