• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February 2016 Heritage Auction

400 posts in this topic

Please STOP bidding on the UXM 221 splash so I dont have to make fun of you 4Ever. :makepoint:

I really hope whoever won that is also a dentist and will hang the artwork at his practice with a warning about the risks of not flossing properly.

More like don't grind your teeth. It is alot for a headshot.

Prices are incredible for the more modern art. Guess my full attention on early bronze and before needs reconsideration.

I find comments like that interesting. In effect you're saying you're attracted to the high prices. Nothing wrong with that, but interesting.

Not so much that, although price appreciation of my collection is appreciated! My real desire is to have as broad an understanding of this incredible hobby as possible. Much like I pay little attention to modern books I just hadn't realized that interior pages from the 1980's could compete with twice up silver art.

I really wanted to purchase the Quesada/Palmiotti Deathlok Annual #1 cover. I inquired via an email to HA about how it was matted, i.e., glued, taped, or photo edges. They replied that they didn't know. Thus, I passed.

You're not going to like my answer, but had you posted about this before, someone could have pointed out the consignor to you and you could have tried asking them directly.

I like the Golden MARVEL FANFARE #1 at $45K better than the Bright SPIDER-MAN VS. WOLVERINE at $35K.

Yeah, MF #1 @ $45K kind of makes sense to me. Spidey vs. Wolverine #1 @ $35K...well, I hope whoever bought it really, really likes it. More than I like eating hats, anyway. I'm just glad it didn't hit $75K, which would have triggered my immediate retirement from the hobby. SERENITY NOW!! :ohnoez:

At least I nailed the $179,250 prediction for the ASM #62. Shill-gate ain't got nothin' on The Cabal!

Can someone explain to me why this page from ASM 39 sold for so much less than the other one that sold today (and so much less than the ones from the last auction)?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-and-mike-esposito-as-mickey-demeo-amazing-spider-man-39-how-green-was-my-goblin-page-16-orig/a/7124-92201.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I thought about bidding but got scared that it was so much cheaper than the others that maybe something was wrong with it. (I thought the image was better on this one than the first one that sold today for almost twice the price?)

(I wasn't the consignor or buyer on any of them, just curious if there's a simple answer)

I like the Golden MARVEL FANFARE #1 at $45K better than the Bright SPIDER-MAN VS. WOLVERINE at $35K.

Yeah, MF #1 @ $45K kind of makes sense to me. Spidey vs. Wolverine #1 @ $35K...well, I hope whoever bought it really, really likes it. More than I like eating hats, anyway. I'm just glad it didn't hit $75K, which would have triggered my immediate retirement from the hobby. SERENITY NOW!! :ohnoez:

At least I nailed the $179,250 prediction for the ASM #62. Shill-gate ain't got nothin' on The Cabal!

Holy cow! You got it down to the exact dollar.

Daaaaaayyyyyyyummmmmmmm!

I had that over street update with the Jim Lee Punisher and Wolverine cover. maybe I am missing something but I thought it went for a good price. If I didn't already buy the DPS I would have bid on it. I hope I don't regret it! You hate it when something is so close to what you would have bid. You would rather it go for an order of magnitude more knowing that you had no chance.

Malvin

I agree. I was thinking about bidding but passed in hopes of one of the Romita pages with Mary Jane. Ended up with neither one.

The Kirby animation presentation pieces are really interesting -- I'm glad to see most of this material for the first time. Every once in a while I see a DPS he did from that era and it's amazing to me we didn't know of its existence until just now.

Totally. I think they are amazing. Some of them going for well below what I would expect. I mean these are focused and refined. I see rough sketches going for a lot more.

Any know the background on some of these pieces, especially the ones Marvel characters?

I'll admit, I forgot that the auction was today. A buddy sent me an e-mail earlier, or I would have missed it. I haven't been this apathetic about an HA auction since I started collecting. I'm sitting it out. But good luck to all legit bidders, hope everything's on the up and up this round.

I`m sitting out the OA part of this auction too.

I really wanted to purchase the Quesada/Palmiotti Deathlok Annual #1 cover. I inquired via an email to HA about how it was matted, i.e., glued, taped, or photo edges. They replied that they didn't know. Thus, I passed.

You're not going to like my answer, but had you posted about this before, someone could have pointed out the consignor to you and you could have tried asking them directly.

You might not like my answer, but HA advised me that my question was something they would have asked the consignor. They advised that they might not be the original owner or have that information. That was the second email I got on it. I decided it was time to just spend the money over at Comic Link.

HA listed the condition as "Excellent," so the winner got a bargain at $23.9K in comparison to page 15's $44K price tag:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/john-romita-sr-and-mike-esposito-as-mickey-demeo-amazing-spider-man-39-how-green-was-my-goblin-page-15-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7124-92200.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

I'll miss seeing the Perez Avengers #168 page on HA's site. This is the page where Henry Gyrich tries to crush the Avengers beneath an endless barrage of word balloons: http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/george-perez-and-pablo-marcos-avengers-168-issue-page-10-original-art-marvel-1978-/a/7124-92187.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

Also, this seems pretty high for a Wizard piece, even from George Perez: http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/george-perez-wizard-the-comics-magazine-144-superman-and-captain-america-cover-original-art-wizard-2003-/a/7124-92190.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

If it was Batman & Wolverine, I could better justify the price. In the immortal words of Jarvis, "Perhaps if I took a Jiu-Jitsu course..."

(I also wasn't the consignor or buyer on anything)

Well I was completely blown away at the stuff I was interested in.

Batman 251, pg 18 at just under $7800, strong price but not crazy high but more than I could see myself spending for a panel page.

Amazing Spider-Man #158 Splash Page 17 at just over $7800. This one shocked me a bit. I was thinking $5k on the high side.

Wolverine #17 Cover at just over $33k. I thought it was a great image and felt it would close at least $25k.

Daredevil #90 Story Page 21 at just over $5.2k. I was interested up to $3500 but too high for me (although it was a good image + the Black Widow).

Fantastic Four #113 Splash Page 1 at just under $10k. I wish I had tried for this one. I loved the image. I hate having to have a job that makes me focus on work rather than comic art auctions :mad:

Black Panther #7 Cover, I only got in one bid early and watched the bidding blow past my max price by over 50% :sorry:

Captain America #102 Splash Page 1 at just under $10k :o I was thinking $5k given cap wasn't in costume.

Amazing Spider-Man #49 Page 15 at almost $54k. I really had no idea how high it would go but that was way past what I could see dropping but I think this page had just about everything you could want. Large sized art, great action, two key villains, and nice big images.

My main take away from this auction is I need to take my auction guesses and then multiple by two and then I may be in the rough ballpark.

Anyone else get the vibe that the Buscema/Sinnot FF stuff seemed really reasonable after the Andru Spidey lots.

I know that Spec Spidey storyline was really a hidden gem of the late Copper Age BUT the art by Sal Buscema made me stop collecting Spec Spidey :P

People are going to point to that FF 107 cover as one of the bargains of the auction in the next few years.

I sold that FF cover 107 to Dandy Dave Mandel in the early 2000s.....

HA listed the condition as "Excellent," so the winner got a bargain at $23.9K in comparison to page 15's $44K price tag:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/john-romita-sr-and-mike-esposito-as-mickey-demeo-amazing-spider-man-39-how-green-was-my-goblin-page-15-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7124-92200.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

I'll miss seeing the Perez Avengers #168 page on HA's site. This is the page where Henry Gyrich tries to crush the Avengers beneath an endless barrage of word balloons: http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/george-perez-and-pablo-marcos-avengers-168-issue-page-10-original-art-marvel-1978-/a/7124-92187.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

Also, this seems pretty high for a Wizard piece, even from George Perez: http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/george-perez-wizard-the-comics-magazine-144-superman-and-captain-america-cover-original-art-wizard-2003-/a/7124-92190.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-BrowseThisAuction-120115

If it was Batman & Wolverine, I could better justify the price. In the immortal words of Jarvis, "Perhaps if I took a Jiu-Jitsu course..."

(I also wasn't the consignor or buyer on anything)

I was the original owner of this piece and it was expensive (for the time) when I purchased it. I was offered substantially more for it several times, finally relented, and sold it nearly 10 years ago to a fellow in the UK. So, by 2005, it was already a fairly expensive piece, relative to other Perez artwork.

Well I was completely blown away at the stuff I was interested in.

Batman 251, pg 18 at just under $7800, strong price but not crazy high but more than I could see myself spending for a panel page.

Amazing Spider-Man #158 Splash Page 17 at just over $7800. This one shocked me a bit. I was thinking $5k on the high side.

Wolverine #17 Cover at just over $33k. I thought it was a great image and felt it would close at least $25k.

Daredevil #90 Story Page 21 at just over $5.2k. I was interested up to $3500 but too high for me (although it was a good image + the Black Widow).

Fantastic Four #113 Splash Page 1 at just under $10k. I wish I had tried for this one. I loved the image. I hate having to have a job that makes me focus on work rather than comic art auctions :mad:

Black Panther #7 Cover, I only got in one bid early and watched the bidding blow past my max price by over 50% :sorry:

Captain America #102 Splash Page 1 at just under $10k :o I was thinking $5k given cap wasn't in costume.

Amazing Spider-Man #49 Page 15 at almost $54k. I really had no idea how high it would go but that was way past what I could see dropping but I think this page had just about everything you could want. Large sized art, great action, two key villains, and nice big images.

My main take away from this auction is I need to take my auction guesses and then multiple by two and then I may be in the rough ballpark.

That would definitely be a bargoon these days, especially considering a comparable splash (ASM 159p1) sold at the Nov 2015 Heritage Auction just shy of $12K, and decent panel pages sell consistently between $3-$4K (thumbs u

I was surprised by the Neal Adams X-MEN page going for under $3k, probably due to the fact it was either laminated or mounted on another board. If it was just mounted from the back side, I'd have considered it, but if it was laminated from the front on the surface, that's the deal breaker for me. I would have liked to see it in person.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/neal-adams-and-tom-palmer-x-men-60-story-page-16-original-art-laminated-to-foam-core-board-marvel-1969-/a/7124-92003.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The original buyer might have had remorse as it purchased 5 years ago in 2011 for about $3k, and the owner took a loss (could be more substantial than it looks, factoring in the original price then netting out the price listed it sold for includes the buyers premium plus has to pay a sellers premium)

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/neal-adams-and-tom-palmer-x-men-60-page-16-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7030-92033.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Neal Adams and Tom Palmer X-Men #60 page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1969). Power corrupt Dr. Karl Lycos recalls his past as he siphons mutant energy from Havok in this partial origin page from the tale, "In the Shadow of... Sauron!" The art has an image area of 10" x 15". There is light tape residue at the top and bottom edges along with production process stains and a small area of water damage at the lower left, and the work has been laminated onto a sheet of foam board; otherwise the art is in Good condition.

So what's the "better deal" consensus: Wood DD portrait cover $150k or Romita ASM bondage $170k?

I prefer the DD for even money, all the better for $20k+ less. But either way I'm not a player at that money anyway :)

So what's the "better deal" consensus: Wood DD portrait cover $150k or Romita ASM bondage $170k?

I prefer the DD for even money, all the better for $20k+ less. But either way I'm not a player at that money anyway :)

Yeah, it's hard to imaging dropping that sort of cash, even as an investment, as you can get a nice home in the mid-west for that money instead...