• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February 2016 Heritage Auction

400 posts in this topic

Some strong Jim Lee Batman prices (especially to me the Hush DPS Batman vs. Superman).

Was curious - did anyone on the Boards pick up the Lee/Williams Black Canary splash from All Star Batman?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/jim-lee-and-scott-williams-all-star-batman-and-robin-the-boy-wonder-3-splash-page-3-black-canary-original-art-d-1-/a/7124-92158.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013

I was a contender for the piece, my limit was $3,300 which equates to $4k after paying the vig Heritage charges (i.e. Buyers Premium), where I had to tap out and let it go to a more passionate bidder/buyer.

It's cover quality and great rendering, but what stopped me was that it was from the "All Star" universe and the storyline, 'tho written by Frank Miller, wasn't even close to a "Dark Knight" nor a "Hush" in Batman folklore, and the character of Black Canary wasn't and isn't too remarkable to justify going beyond that for me personally

I have a feeling it's a piece I may regret not acquiring in the future 'tho, but we can't win nor own everything. I do think the price was a great one and I'd probably think it has upward potential to have value of $6k+ easily and are fairly sure if the buyer ever wanted to get out of the piece, he (or she) wouldn't have a hard time pulling their money off the table to break even and probably would profit nicely.

ah, that helps explain the premium price. haven't read the Jane Foster comic ...

thanks for the info!

Then there's the WHAT IF? #10 DPS that went for $5975 -- Rick Hoberg FTW!!!

Jane Foster as Thor is a new Marvel title that is extremely popular. The price point for What If #10 comics has been much higher for about a year.

I know that What If #10 Page #29 went for about $1,500 to $2,000 and that featured Jane Foster as "Thor"

So, this DPS, 'tho does not feature Lady Thor, Jane Foster in rendering, has the origin of Thor and is a nice piece. It's one of those interesting situations, that does owning a page from a "1st Appearance" key issue yet not a page that features the character, have a lot of value because of the issue it is a part of, or does the value diminish because it's a part of a key issue yet does not have the reasons behind the value (rendering of that character) on it?

I know New Mutants #98 and NYX #3 with the 1st apperances of Deadpool and X-23, respectively has had pages floating around for sale without the characters on the pages being offered.

I really wanted to jump in on one of those Kirby Thundarr The Barbarian pieces, but was out of town with the family and the auction fell off my radar.

the Kirby Thundarr pencil piece for $2629 (including the vig) seems like a steal to me.

I'm assumin the much lower price for the other Kirby Thundarr drawing is due to the Alcala inks?

I was wondering the same thing, some of the Kirby/Alcala pieces went cheap IMHO.

In the past, even in later Thor issues, if you have a small panel where Blake turns in Thor, it goes for a huge premium. Here is the money shot in large refined glory, albeit unpublished and Alcala inks. For late 70s /early 80s period this very refined and fantastic stuff. Like prime 1960s effort. This looks just like the comic rather than an adapted cartoon. What gives?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-alfredo-alcala-attributed-thor-animation-cartoon-concept-illustration-original-art-ruby-spears-/a/7124-92143.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

I really wanted to jump in on one of those Kirby Thundarr The Barbarian pieces, but was out of town with the family and the auction fell off my radar.

the Kirby Thundarr pencil piece for $2629 (including the vig) seems like a steal to me.

I'm assumin the much lower price for the other Kirby Thundarr drawing is due to the Alcala inks?

I wouldn't read too much into it. I was the underbidder on the pencil-only piece, but I won the inked piece. And, my max bid on the inked piece was not only multiples of the winning price, but also multiples of where the pencil-only piece ended up!

If I hadn't bid up the pencil-only piece as well, maybe the difference wouldn't have been as much. And, on another day, someone else could have really run the price on the inked piece up on me. I think it's just another instance of what something sells for, high or low, one day at auction is not necessarily indicative of either the absolute or relative value of such. Case in point, that ASM #39 page that sold for so much less than expected... 2c

I wouldn't read too much into it. I was the underbidder on the pencil-only piece, but I won the inked piece. And, my max bid on the inked piece was not only multiples of the winning price, but also multiples of where the pencil-only piece ended up!

If I hadn't bid up the pencil-only piece as well, maybe the difference wouldn't have been as much. And, on another day, someone else could have really run the price on the inked piece up on me. I think it's just another instance of what something sells for, high or low, one day at auction is not necessarily indicative of either the absolute or relative value of such. Case in point, that ASM #39 page that sold for so much less than expected... 2c

I got stuck on deciding which gif to use. So you get both....

counting-money-3.gif

O7EEkYa.gif

It's interesting to see that now that the auction is over Robert Dennis posted a comparison photo showing the extent of his restoration work on UXM 137 page 18. I didn't pay much attention to HA's description at the time "[t]he piece has been professionally cleaned and flattened. Some discoloration from prior mold stains remains, mostly visible on the back of the piece and slightly visible in panels one and two" but seeing the photo makes me wonder whether people think it was sufficient.

Anyway here is Robert Dennis' entry on CAF and below is the comparison photo (in case Dennis is asked to remove the CAF page).

zUgYrNZ.jpg

Robert saved that piece's life. lol Just cleaning off the mold was really a mission of mercy. He did nice work.

Any estimate on how the value was changed by the cleaning?

It sold for $43k, which is a solid price for this page. I'd say the resto work had no negative impact on the final price of this piece.

Art, books - totally different thing re: restoration.

Yup there was discussion recently about resto affecting OA value; looks like this sale settles it.

Interesting discussion as so many antiquities from furniture to coins lose value when the patina of time is rubbed off. Torn, because it really does look nicer, but I think I'll let the next owner do that to my art.

Yup there was discussion recently about resto affecting OA value; looks like this sale settles it.

Interesting discussion as so many antiquities from furniture to coins lose value when the patina of time is rubbed off. Torn, because it really does look nicer, but I think I'll let the next owner do that to my art.

I am usually in the same camp, not wanting to do much ( or really anything ) to artwork that I own.

I do draw the line at mold damage though. It shows the paper is unusually unstable, and mold is a living thing. Left alone it puts the artwork in jeopardy. So I really see what was done to this page as conservation. No re-inking, nothing but cleaning, de-acidifying and removing that mold.

There was a Silver Age DC story I was negotiating to buy years ago that had the same problem. I didn't wind up getting the artwork but I was ready to remove that mold as soon as I got my hands on it.

I am usually in the same camp, not wanting to do much ( or really anything ) to artwork that I own.

I do draw the line at mold damage though. It shows the paper is unusually unstable, and mold is a living thing. Left alone it puts the artwork in jeopardy. So I really see what was done to this page as conservation. No re-inking, nothing but cleaning, de-acidifying and removing that mold.

There was a Silver Age DC story I was negotiating to buy years ago that had the same problem. I didn't wind up getting the artwork but I was ready to remove that mold as soon as I got my hands on it.

Totally agree. I think its almost our duty as collectors to remediate the mold as I can't imagine leaving that in a Ioyta portfolio, rotting away, mold festering.