• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grails by age....

80 posts in this topic

OF, very cool idea. Mine are:

Golden Age : Four Color 9

Atomic Age : Definitely a Duck book, but need to think about which issue

Silver Age : Showcase 4 & 22

Bronze Age : GS X-Men 1

Modern Age : TMNT 1

Yeah, other than ducks I have to admit I have close to zero interest in GA. Unfortunately, I don't have FC 199, but would dearly love to. A HG copy is one of my GA grails.

Sorry that my list is so boring, but I guess when it comes to the older stuff, I'm a traditional collector. I don't own any of the first three, and am always looking to upgrade for Bronze Age:

Golden Age: Action 1

Atom Age: Mad 1

Silver Age: FF 1

Bronze Age: Zap 4 first print; Conan 1; GL/GA 76

Modern Age: Hate 1

What are your personal grails for each comic age?

Golden Age: Action Comics 1

Atomic Age: A Gaines File Copy of Aces High 1 or 2. I also want Frontline Combat 3, Frontline Combat 4 and Frontline Combat 6

Silver Age: Showcase 4

Bronze Age: Conan 1

Modern Age: 893scratchchin-thumb.gif There are several modern comics I want but I don't think any qualify as a grail. I just have not bought them yet.

Golden Age: Mark Wilson's Fighting Yank #7 CGC 9.6 Church Copy. Metro's Wonder Comics #1 CGC 9.2. Both out of my price range, unfortunately.

Silver Age: Tim's Brave & the Bold #28 CGC 9.4. Even if I had enough dough, I doubt I could pry it from his cold, dead hands.

Bronze Age: Detective #395 in CGC 9.4 or 9.6. Just plain tough to find.

Ya nice thread by Age:

GA: Don't collect GA

AA: Weird Science Fantasy #29 - House Of Mystery #1

SA: Amazing Spider-man #50 and Silver Surfer 4 in HG

BA: GS X-Men #1 in HG (recently purchased cloud9.gif) - Batman 232 in 9.6 (I have a 9.2) - HOS #92 and HOM 174 (pref the Northland copy Christo_pull_hair.gif)

MA: Albedo #2 in HG hail.gif

Silver Age: Tim's Brave & the Bold #28 CGC 9.4. Even if I had enough dough, I doubt I could pry it from his cold, dead hands.

Maybe I'll bring it to your BBQ in 2006 just to taunt you! grin.gif

The Blind Sword Pig is based on Zatoichi the movie character, but this is one case where I love the original more than Stan's take on the character. I can recommend a few titles if anyone is interested.

Recommend away. thumbsup2.gif

The Zatoichi series and the lead actor were so popular there were 26 films and close to 100 TV episodes from 1962 to 1989. The star is the brother of the lead actor in the Lone Wolf & Cub series, which, in my opinion is not nearly as good. The Zatoichi series contains it share of action, but not the bloody, leg-amputating type of Lone Wolf. There is such a strong emphasis on good stories and strong characters that 3 ladies that have watched the "The Chess Expert" have very much enjoyed it. (I don't know that I would recommend all of the films in the series for a female audience, but figured I'd point out one that you could watch with a date.)

The stories are set in the Edo period of Japan circa 1750 - 1800 and, like with Usagi, you get a chance to learn a bit about Japanese life and culture. I haven't seen any need to watch them in order as there's no complicated continuity. I haven't seen the first four films in the series. All except the first 3 are widescreen and in color.

#12 Zatoichi and the Chess Expert is an excellent entry in the film series and one that I recommend for most guys and gals.

#8 FIght Zatoichi Fight good for guys and gals.

#15 Zatoichi's Cane Sword

#10 Zatoichi's Revenge

I believe they have these on Netflix. For purchasing, I generally find the best prices at the link below:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/index.cfm

They don't charge for shipping and there's no minimum order amount.