• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2015: The Votes are in

258 posts in this topic

- and although it's probably impossible to compete with Joe among other great collectors it's fun to participate!

Yeah, there's no way I can compete with some of the heavy hitters here and I'm used to getting very few votes for what I do enter. (and being told by some that I should "buy better art" if I want to get more votes). I still participate as I'm proud of my meager collection and what I've been able to pick up working off my budget. Understanding it's the competition aspect that appeals to some, I try to take it more as a highlight of people's achievements from the year. I'll throw out a page or two that have meaning and nostalgia for me, and hope they're appreciated by others. Maybe something like this page that I'm also happy I was able to acquire this year...

8FPrYcov_0505150058561.jpg

- and although it's probably impossible to compete with Joe among other great collectors it's fun to participate!

Yeah, there's no way I can compete with some of the heavy hitters here and I'm used to getting very few votes for what I do enter. (and being told by some that I should "buy better art" if I want to get more votes). I still participate as I'm proud of my meager collection and what I've been able to pick up working off my budget. Understanding it's the competition aspect that appeals to some, I try to take it more as a highlight of people's achievements from the year. I'll throw out a page or two that have meaning and nostalgia for me, and hope they're appreciated by others. Maybe something like this page that I'm also happy I was able to acquire this year...

8FPrYcov_0505150058561.jpg

Great page (thumbs u

As Yoda would say - Expense of the art not make art great. I agree with your point.

I agree it's not always the price that makes the art great. That Sale cover, rejected by Marvel, still has a cool feel to it and the classic Sale layout style.

I'm not really complaining as I'm happy with what I have been able to pick up here and there. As always, and like most of us, I pick up art that means something to me within the budget I can afford. Just saw this comment awhile back from some when I was posting in a thread about commenting about low number of votes on pages of art. Doesn't matter as I look forward to seeing what people have picked up and the "Best of" is still one of my favorite times of year. I look forward to the write ups that people do about their selections and why, as that's the most interesting part to me.

(and being told by some that I should "buy better art" if I want to get more votes)

I dunno, you've got an Orbik American Century painting. Doesn't matter what year you got it, good in my book :)

Yes, I'm particularly pleased with that. Even more so as I bought it from Glen directly and he was just an amazingly nice, great guy. Really sad to hear of his passing earlier this year. May he Rest in Peace.

I'd also like to take a moment to once again say a Thank You to Brian for organizing and coordinating this again for another year.

I always view best of as a chance to see what everyone else found and toot my own horn a bit on what I got that I liked. Throw some votes at what I enjoyed seeing and maybe missed, and in general just look at a lot of fun art.

I don't get what gets folks bent out of shape about it, but what do I know?

Like Lucky Baru, I found the Dork #10 cover at HeroesCon over at Evan's table, and been thrilled with it ever since.

18768054683_0a6d1ef0be_b.jpg

Totally know my entry, no brainer. (Not anticipating any major purchases between now and the end of the year)

As an 80's Baby I grew up on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I had everything Turtles (sheets, figures, toys, action sets, posters etc.) so the chance to own a major Turtles piece is not one to pass up. Page 7 from Raphael #1 (Microseries) the first appearance of Casey Jones, who ended up being one of the most major characters in the "Turtleverse". I bought this directly from Kevin Eastman so he included a ton of memorabilia with it which also adds to the allure of the piece for me (since it literally came from his hands to mine)

18180546770_a29aa86dfb_b.jpg

Soo you picked up this page!! It was the first to go from all the pages.. And by far the best.. Congrats on the pick up..( Frank miller Ronin poster in the background!)

Even though I missed out on that page I was lucky to get a TMNT #3 pg 2 shortly after.. Directly out of Kevin Eastmans collection.

My pieces of 2015.. First year collecting art.

My CAF gallery

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?yr=2015&gcat=107600

Wow, RIckyBobby, this is your first year? I can't imagine what your collection would look like after a few more years with that kind of start!

Malvin

Thanks for the compliment Malvin! But probably not much different .. Sold most my comics and now money has ran out :( ..

If anything I'll have to down size!

Ricky

Got a few things for me this year

E119YQqr_2209151935501.jpg

Sal Buscema Splash from MTU 58, basis of the cover...kinda fun.

Ti64NCk9_1808152125491.jpg

Sienkiewicz Nmutants 24 end page.

aPt2ETXU_2209151944161.jpg

McFarlane ASM 311 page 9, sorta splash with lots of spidey

Covers, i didnt acquire any for my collection this year so ill just go with a splash, 1/2 splash, and a panel...huzzah...

Wow, Ricky Bobby, that is very impressive Rookie Year collection. Can we create a category for this guy?! I also coveted that Jim Lee-Wolverine trading card OA, but I no way had the funds to buy it. That and the Art Adams FF piece are prized nostalgic treasures (I had those cards, too, as a kid!). Well, start selling off your furniture to build your 2016 war chest!

..and the last few that I'm thinking of

Miracleman Jam Cover Variant to #1 by Alan Davis, John Totleben, Garry Leach and Rick Veitch - this is a super cover that sums up why this character is so special to some of us

Carlos Pacheco - an X-Men DPS that he created an overlay to "fix" some costumes so this is really TWO DPSs -- published as a DPS, published as a poster and published overseas as a cover -- in one iteration or another

Spiderman #140 - cover - a dream come true to own a bronze age Spidey cover

159846.jpg.025774e67f3fb60612512a7d70d3acc7.jpg

159847.jpg.40e298e1d8e73f666db075bac8a5f11b.jpg

159848.jpg.b87511bc328214671a27b672ef8b4d30.jpg

159849.jpg.2d951e74663951151de27cd504672fed.jpg

Got a few things for me this year

E119YQqr_2209151935501.jpg

Sal Buscema Splash from MTU 58, basis of the cover...kinda fun.

Covers, i didnt acquire any for my collection this year so ill just go with a splash, 1/2 splash, and a panel...huzzah...

I love this one :cloud9:

..and the last few that I'm thinking of

Miracleman Jam Cover Variant to #1 by Alan Davis, John Totleben, Garry Leach and Rick Veitch - this is a super cover that sums up why this charac

Spiderman #140 - cover - a dream come true to own a bronze age Spidey cover

That Spider-Man cover is definitely a classic. Gil Kane's work on Spider-Man was always great.