• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2015: The Votes are in

258 posts in this topic

First, and as always, thanks to Brian and Bill for pulling this together. I feel like I spend an inordinate amount of time viewing OA on CAF, and yet somehow I miss a ton of great artwork. This little event catches me up on everything I’ve missed. So, thanks to all of you that take the time to share your collection with us. My choices:

Covers:

Detective #473, by Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin. I loved this run, and I think Rogers set a tone for the Dark Knight that is still thought of some 30 years later. Link: http://cafurl.com?i=22296

Weird Science #11 – Al Feldstein. It’s a classic EC cover by one of the greats. Link: http://cafurl.com?i=22299

Splashes:

Captain America #137 – Gene Colan and Bill Everett. Everett’s inks make Colan’s pencils pop to an almost 3D level. Link: http://cafurl.com?i=22295

Interior Panel pages:

Superman Annual #11 - Dave Gibbons. Just a great page from one of the best Superman stories of all time. Link: http://cafurl.com?i=22297

Unpublished Other:

Unfinished, unpublished cover to the Bone Tribute Edition – Jeff Smith. Who didn’t love "Bone”? Link: http://cafurl.com?i=22298

Thanks for looking!!

Ron Sonenthal

Is it normal for there to be so few entries at this stage of the game? Do most people normally add in the last day or two? It seems low to me, but I don't have data to support that.

I had the same feeling last year when I discovered this "event". My opinion is that nearly nobody knows about it! No highlight or news on CAF, no email received, if it were not for this forum I would never have been aware of the event.

But are they your "Best"?

Well, as you may recall, I sold a lot of high-end art to help fund an early retirement, so everything I buy from now on will have to be accommodated by the monthly budget I'm allowing myself. They were affordable and I'm happy with them (the Demon With a Glass Hand art is representative of a much-loved Harlan Ellison Outer Limits teleplay for me, as I lean towards science-fiction as a favourite genre). Five pieces out of a total of eighteen 2015 purchases showcases what I'd been up to on the collecting front. It's not a pizzing contest . . .

"Best of 2015" vs. representative, was my point.

Small pool of 2015 acquisitions for me to choose from and I pretty much liked everything I bought . . . so the best five representative examples of that selection (which were difficult to narrow down) - if that works for you? (shrug)

What did you enter?

Lowry is complete

Doc Joes Lowry

I don't know, needless to say I love all these pieces, it says I got 39 pieces in 2015 - (I did actually get a few more)

Of the ones I chose to post I think the Secret Wars 4 remains Iconic as a cover and The Doctor Will Kill You Now was such a well known image its worth a vote or two!

Regardless...delighted to own all the art I own.

Is it normal for there to be so few entries at this stage of the game? Do most people normally add in the last day or two? It seems low to me, but I don't have data to support that.

I had the same feeling last year when I discovered this "event". My opinion is that nearly nobody knows about it! No highlight or news on CAF, no email received, if it were not for this forum I would never have been aware of the event.

I have no problem with the promotion of the "event"...I think Brian does a great job and Bill and co. as well. I just wanted to see compare this year to other years of this "event".

I still am not quite sure what Brian's response indicated though. :sick: It was characterized as doing well but then I thought he said it was half of what it usually is. But in any event it seems to have picked up a bit, especially in interior pages.

You know, I remember when I first discovered CAF I would lay in bed at night and think "I don't think a better collection exists than mine in all the world!" I loved what I had and I had what was best for me to own at that time. I truly did have the best collection in the world. Even after I failed to acquire, despite lowballing, some Charest WildC.A.T.s pieces from some guy I'd only heard of on CAF named David Mandel I knew I had the bestest collection.

I still do.

I look at the categories every year and say "surely this year, surely they will see what I see and I shall be rightfully acclaimed throughout the computer screen as the king of all categories he surveys".

This year is no different.

look out muthaers!

now quit yer' belly'aching...ooh is my stuff good enough to enter....ooh I didn't get any votes...ooh ooh ooh...and show off your stuff. The stuff you lie awake plotting to acquire and then going out and doing so! I won't vote for it, but who cares! It is the best collection you have and you should be proud of it! Every piece of it.

Well, not those pieces.

Surely not those.

When I posted earlier I said we had about 1/2 way to the total we usually have each year. Usually we get about 550-600 entries which is at least 110-120 collectors. I never know the total number of collectors who enter since not all post 5 entries.

When I posted earlier I said we had about 1/2 way to the total we usually have each year. Usually we get about 550-600 entries which is at least 110-120 collectors. I never know the total number of collectors who enter since not all post 5 entries.
Correction: at most 110-120 collectors. Less is more ;)