• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta Famous Funnies

102 posts in this topic

I may be wrong, and this might be a dumb question, but did Wood help out on 213 and 214? It sure looks like it to me since that's the way Wood drew machinery and spaceships...BTW, nice books...

I thought Wood was considered to have swiped some of FF's work on these covers. hm

Not so, as adamstrange noted, #213 was Frazetta's nod/tip of the hat to the way Wally Wood drew his spaceship interiors -- thousands of hooded dials and tubes and all.

The only thing I don't care for on #213 is the musculature of the girl's legs, but oh well. I guess it's pretty good anyway. ;)

Outstanding collection to put together! I don't have any copy of a FF Frazetta cover as yet, but will get one someday, probably in reader-ish grade. :)

I'm probably hallucinating, but wasn't there a later Wood cover that looks very similar to FF 213? Or maybe it wasn't Wood ... or maybe it wasn't a cover but something Wood did as an homage to Frazetta's homage to him ... or something. :D

This has a similar interior spaceship look.

CS4_zpsjv7tfxou.jpg

That's the one! Of course, it precedes FF 213, so it looks strictly to be a case of Frazetta playing off Wood rather than the other way around as I had thought.

Ken, is that WSF 29 you posted a Gaines File Copy? Just curious, it looks nice enough to be one.

My only (but favorite) Frazetta FF. It scored a CGC 7.0.

FamFun213_zps8d92e2fc.jpg

That is one gorgeous 7.0! Looks much nicer. Such vibrant colors. The WSF 29 was not sold to me as a Gaines copy and only has the tiny ding on the right edge bringing down the grade. If is very nice though and I have wondered whether it might have been and just lost the designation and certificate.

Ken

This set was one of my first challenges when I returned to collecting a few years back.

I assembled a set, they're all graded, but I have to say the hardest to find was the 215.

FF215c_zpsdf819bc2.jpg

I don't think ill be able to upgrade this copy any time soon:

buster5_zpsf9209890.jpg

I do miss my old copy, a 7.0 I found raw on eBay a bunch of years back.

Same for my WSF 29.

I was amazed to be able to pick them up in such nice shape on eBay no less.

while I was digging in my boxes found some other related material on Frazetta.

a partial cover and the first story from Buster Crabbe 5

and a Mexican comic with a cover that will look familiar.

159175.jpg

Very interesting how and why the chose to remove the girl from the Mexican copy. (shrug)

Jaw dropping! :golfclap:

I have 209 and 214 - in grade 2.0. My two favorites of the series. Also have Buster Crabbe #5. I remember staring at the image of #209 in my Overstreet Comic Price Guide in the mid-70’s, and then looking at the graded value thinking how out of reach the price was – seemed like several months of paper route money at least! I wound up investing in a Honda Express moped to handle larger sized routes instead and never come back to these comics until recently - 40 years later....

Hello everyone,

I have been working on completing a set of Frazetta Famous Funnies in nice shape for quite a few years and recently acquired the last issue I needed to finish the run, including Weird Science Fantasy 29 which was originally supposed to be part of the set.

The order in which I acquired the books is 216, 210, 209, 214, 213, 215, 211, and 212.

WSF 29 was purchased a long time ago and is fairly easy to get in high grade because of the Gaines copies. 209 is the Cosmic Aeroplane copy which was CGC graded 9.4 white and is an upgrade from my original copy. 210 was CGC graded 9.4 white. 211 was CGC graded 8.5 ow. 212 was purchased raw as a 6.5/7.0 ow/w. 213 was purchased raw and I would call it 8.5 ow/w. 214 was CGC graded 9.2 ow/w. 215 was purchased raw and I would call it 8.0 ow. 216 was purchased raw and I would call it 8.5 ow/w.

In my experience I would say the order of difficulty in finding these books in nice shape from easiest to hardest would be 210, 209, 214, 211, 212, 216, 213, and 215.

I look forward to your thoughts on my favorite set of books and hopefully will see scans or photos of other copies in your collections.

Ken

FF%20GROUP_zpsh8bkhz3x.jpg

Sharing my Buster Crabbe #5, it was not easy to come by.

image1216.jpg

Particularly amazing copies of an always amazing set of books.

I still think Buster Crabbe #5 should be considered part of the set, though.

Buster_Crabbe_05_zps3xcqxybi.jpg

OK, it's actually a couple years earlier. But Buster Crabbe did play Buck Rogers in the serial, and it is a SF cover.

Totally agree...one of the best comic book covers ever..and should be included in collection along with WSF 29.

This has a similar interior spaceship look.

CS4_zpsjv7tfxou.jpg

That's the one! Of course, it precedes FF 213, so it looks strictly to be a case of Frazetta playing off Wood rather than the other way around as I had thought.

Yep, that's the case! :) Frazetta, Wood and Williamson were all pretty friendly with one another as far as I know -- Williamson and Frazetta for sure. The Captain Science #4 (love it! I only have a VG- copy) is Wood, plus a dash of Joe Orlando, I think?