• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta Famous Funnies

102 posts in this topic

when i got out of the frazetta covers run, i kept only my two favorite ghost riders, and my fave tim holt. i did later end up with this, for a g.a. [g.a. goes right up to s'case 4, for my purposes] twin cities ped type-set rep.

ff209.jpg

Particularly amazing copies of an always amazing set of books.

I still think Buster Crabbe #5 should be considered part of the set, though.

Buster_Crabbe_05_zps3xcqxybi.jpg

OK, it's actually a couple years earlier. But Buster Crabbe did play Buck Rogers in the serial, and it is a SF cover.

Totally agree...one of the best comic book covers ever..and should be included in collection along with WSF 29.

Thanks guys. 213 is my favorite cover as well.

I think 213 is a favorite of many

Wish I could have afforded this cover a few years back

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-frazetta-original-cover-art-for-famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1953-a-true-example-of-why-frank-frazetta-is-c/a/802-6710.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

:gossip: It's hanging in Mr. B's bathroom.

My goodness, I wish!

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-frazetta-original-cover-art-for-famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1953-a-true-example-of-why-frank-frazetta-is-c/a/802-6710.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That was a year before Heritage sold the 5.5 (later 6.0) Action #1 for $120K. Which would you choose?

I may be wrong, and this might be a dumb question, but did Wood help out on 213 and 214? It sure looks like it to me since that's the way Wood drew machinery and spaceships...BTW, nice books...

I thought Wood was considered to have swiped some of FF's work on these covers. hm

I may be wrong, and this might be a dumb question, but did Wood help out on 213 and 214? It sure looks like it to me since that's the way Wood drew machinery and spaceships...BTW, nice books...

211 was Frank's homage to Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon and 213 was his homage to Wally Wood's Spirit/EC art. Frank didn't need help from either artist to draw the covers but he certainly owes them.

That was a year before Heritage sold the 5.5 (later 6.0) Action #1 for $120K. Which would you choose?

Frazetta every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

when i got out of the frazetta covers run, i kept only my two favorite ghost riders, and my fave tim holt. i did later end up with this, for a g.a. [g.a. goes right up to s'case 4, for my purposes] twin cities ped type-set rep.

ff209.jpg

A fabulous representation for that pedigree.

Ken

I thought Wood was considered to have swiped some of FF's work on these covers. hm

Not so, as adamstrange noted, #213 was Frazetta's nod/tip of the hat to the way Wally Wood drew his spaceship interiors -- thousands of hooded dials and tubes and all.

The only thing I don't care for on #213 is the musculature of the girl's legs, but oh well. I guess it's pretty good anyway. ;)

Outstanding collection to put together! I don't have any copy of a FF Frazetta cover as yet, but will get one someday, probably in reader-ish grade. :)

About Buster Crabbe #5 -- the alien on the cover is most definitely the influence (IMO) for the cannibal child-thing in Willamson's first story for EC, TFTC #31's "The Thing in the Glades". Or could it have been vice-versa? I tend to think Al borrowed the look with Frank's approval. :)

Get a load of the BEAUTIFUL original art by Williamson for one of the story's pages, where the monster is revealed:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=544209