• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most memorable Christmas gift you received as a child?

109 posts in this topic

One of the most memorable Christmas gifts I've ever received... hm

It was in 1985, I was 6 years old, my parents got me the NES that came with R.O.B., two controllers, a gray gun and two games, Gyromite and Duck Hunt.

I was so ecstatic when I got that gift, that memory still puts a smile on my face to this day!

:grin:

Right there with you! I got the base system, my mom bought me Pro Wrestling, and I had enough xmas money to go buy the Legend of Zelda (which I knew nothing about ahead of time). Having Super Mario Brothers alone was cool enough but when I popped in Zelda and played for the first time, my mind was blown!

For me it was Christmas 1982, I would have been 9. My grandparents came over one day and left this huge box on the floor, my brother and I just daydreamed all day long over what was in that box, both praying for toys.

Christmas morning came and we couldn't tear the paper off that thing fast enough. It ended up being an 18 inch black and white TV! Even though we really wanted it to be toys, to have a TV in my own room (which I shared with my brother), at 9 was pretty cool. I just remember all the nights watching SCTV or the Twilight Zone on that thing, good times.

I also got a good run of the Jim Davis Garfield books that year (Garfield was all the rage that year), which gave me hours of entertainment. I truly believe it was those books that really got me hooked on comics, which I got big time into within the next few years!

Jay

My parents bought me a James Bond attache case too, but my mother threw it out when I left.

Mom also threw away my boxed King Zor. :sick:

bigzor2.jpg

The King Zor really meant it something to me, since my late father went out of his way to purchase one for me.

I remember that. My brother got that and I got this:

biglou_zps4db0b445.jpg

A Gibson Les Paul guitar (cherry sunburst!) for Christmas during my junior year in high school. My older sister, my parents, and one of my uncles went in together on it -- 500 bucks was a lot of $$ back then!

I almost keeled over when I saw it. Pete Townshend! Jimmy Page! And now...me! I never did sound like them, of course, but I felt like them when I played it -- never a bad thing.

I'd like to say that I still have it, but I ended up trading it straight-up for a Gibson acoustic guitar during college. I do still have that guitar, and have written hundreds of songs with it, including the two I'll be recording in a new studio with a new producer in January.

So in a way, that Les Paul from 30+ years ago was a gift that very much keeps on giving today...I'll never forget it.

YEAH! I got a similar one. On my 15th birthday my dad told me to get into the car and we went down to a pawn shop in the bad part of town. I'd been playing a crappy Japanese guitar for a couple of years. My dad, was a cop (and a bit of a hard ), and who wasn't to wild about the rock 'n roll scene apparently noticed my dedication.

We walked in and he told me to pick out the one I wanted. My eyes immediately gravitated to an old white Stratocaster on the top shelf. The guy took it down and handed it to me. After a couple of minutes I knew it was the one. My dad paid him $150 for it and off we went.

I still have it and play it often. As it turned out, it was a 1959 model. My dad's $150. investment sure paid off. I really miss him.

First thing that popped into my head, so maybe the most readily memorable was Christmas 1981. My uncle dropped these two on vinyl greats on me:

Rolling Stones - Tattoo You

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock

Yeah, when a teenager, I got records as well. My dad asked me for a list. When I opened them I remember Grateful Dead "American Beauty", Allman Brothers "Live at the Filmore East" and another I can't remember. What I do remember my dad saying was: "Son, who is grateful to be dead?".

As a young child, the Christmas I had just turned six I received a Marx Civil War Playset. As a teenager I received my German Shepard pup, but he did come a few weeks early.

Many, many fabulous gifts over the years, but those two stand out.

Most memorable -Lost in Space Robot.

Most incredible-one year our parents went off and spent an incredible amount on Christmas-I got a locktop desk and mini TV set that I kept inside. I was able to watch my own shows while everyone else bickered. Amazing. My brother got a gumball machine and other stuff. He always wanted a gumball machine ever since he was 3 and knocked one over in the bank busting it and sending gumballs everywhere.

He sold his gumballs and then when he emptied the pennies there was a huge haul in there-like $30. My parents confiscated the money so he threw the gumball machine outside. It was later sold at a yard sale.

A toss up-at 6 my parents searched EVERYWHERE for an Ultimate Warrior Wrestling Buddy (in 1990 the WWF was white hot) with no luck. On Christmas I literally cried my eyes out when my uncle Nick gave me one. 25 years later and my 7 year old son has it in his room.

At 14 I started playing guitar and had a Strat knockoff from a pawn shop. At Christmas I damn near fainted when my dad pulled a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 out of his closet after all the other gifts had been opened. I used to go to my local guitar shop (Modern Music) and play that exact guitar for hours. As luck (for me) would have it, they were going out of business and the owner sold it to my dad for half price.

I have two. When I was 5 my parents bought me a Red Rider B.B. gun. When I was 6 my dad( because my mom was thoroughly against it) bought me a Honda mini bike 50cc,let's say I really scraped up the legs for awhile with that one. It however made me the cool kid of the block. :headbang:

Great lists here!

Some of my favorites from the 1970's and early 80's included:

Millenium Falcon

Shogun Warrior -- Raydeen

Stretch Armstrong

Mego Super-Hero Dolls (Batman, Iron Man in particular)

Viewfinders

18" Star Wars posable figures

Dan

Great lists here!

Some of my favorites from the 1970's and early 80's included:

Millenium Falcon

Shogun Warrior -- Raydeen

Stretch Armstrong

Mego Super-Hero Dolls (Batman, Iron Man in particular)

Viewfinders

18" Star Wars posable figures

Dan

One year I got a stretch armstrong and my brother got the vac man... Totally forgot about that till now