• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,663 posts in this topic

The Felix Comic Art Podcast welcomes Robert Kirkman to the show!:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

Robert loves comic art. Yes, he created THE WALKING DEAD and co-created INVINCIBLE. Yes, he's a partner at Image Comics. Yes, he runs Skybound. And so on and so forth. But what really matters to us: He loves comic art!

Especially comic art from the '90s. Check out his show-and-tell video on our YouTube channel, which features such '90s stalwarts as Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Whilce Portacio, and Dale Keown:

Thanks to Robert for the chat and sharing all his stories of collecting. Especially the absolutely insane one from his early days, which is guaranteed to make even the most hardcore collector feel like a responsible adult in comparison.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Check out our website at www.felixcomicart.com and sign up for the mailing list. Please leave a rating/review on iTunes. Thanks and enjoy the show!

Felix
www.felixcomicart.com

Edited by Nexus

That was a fun episode.  Robert's about a year older than me and it sounds like we both got into comics at the same time.  It was fun to hear such enthusiasm for the art of that era.  I will admit that it was a little bittersweet to hear him talk about his love for Youngblood.  An early Youngblood page is pretty high on my checklist and they don't pop up very often.  Knowing that someone like Kirkman is after the same stuff is a bit disheartening.

Felix, thanks for getting Kirkman on the show and bringing us our '90s art edition! Like @rocket1312 said, it turns out that Kirkman is my age (I guess depending on when his birthday lands this year) and, although I seemed to have started reading comics a little younger than he did, it seems like we all were swept away by the same zeitgeist (dare I say). He said something about the 90s that reflected exactly what I thought when we have these discussions--that the 90s stuff has a different type of energy than its predecessors. Compared to the books I read in the 80s, which were well crafted, very "classical Hollywood cinema"--the early 90s stuff by Liefeld, Lee, and McFarlane, just brought a lot of youthful energy and momentum. I'll have to look back at my collection, but I think it may have been New Mutants #100 that brought me back to comics (they weren't easy for me to get back then so I had to make the effort to find them) and invited me into what is now my sweet spot. I recently went back to my copy of NM100 and looking through it, there is a lot of youthful flair and energy despite the wonky anatomy, and I can see why it got me excited about comics again.

And yes, when you have someone like Kirkman buying up Liefeld, what chance do we mortals have?  

14 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Felix,

Another fine podcast. While I am not a big 90s or modern art collector especially not Image it was very interesting to hear from one of the major 90s collector. I know he is primarily into 90s and forward comic art he did mention Byrne and Kirby. I wish you would have asked him if he has any pre-90s, non-image artist work. Does he have any Kirby, Romita Sr or John Buscema art? Looking forward to the next installment.

Robert did allude to compartmentalizing; he only collects a specific list of artists and doesn't want to buy any stray pages from other artists or he will get swept up into going all out on that artist.   I didn't get the sense any vintage artists were on his list

12 hours ago, rocket1312 said:

That was a fun episode.  Robert's about a year older than me and it sounds like we both got into comics at the same time.  It was fun to hear such enthusiasm for the art of that era.  I will admit that it was a little bittersweet to hear him talk about his love for Youngblood.  An early Youngblood page is pretty high on my checklist and they don't pop up very often.  Knowing that someone like Kirkman is after the same stuff is a bit disheartening.

Yes! He truly loves the art he collects. Even though I don't like the same stuff he does, I can certainly appreciate the enthusiasm!

And yes, if you are into the same stuff he's into, then my condolences. I remember when I was hunting a WATCHMEN page early on in my collecting, it was a huge relief to find out that the major BSD at that time had zero interest in it. I'd have no shot if he did.

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

Robert did allude to compartmentalizing; he only collects a specific list of artists and doesn't want to buy any stray pages from other artists or he will get swept up into going all out on that artist.   I didn't get the sense any vintage artists were on his list

Right, that's what I understood, too.

Which is great news to those still looking to get Kirby, Romita Sr, Buscema, et al. But again, sorry to you guys trying to get YOUNGBLOOD.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

Which is great news to those still looking to get Kirby, Romita Sr, Buscema, et al. But again, sorry to you guys trying to get YOUNGBLOOD.

I can't tell if you wrote that with a straight face or tongue-in-cheek but that sentence is lol 

9 hours ago, Nexus said:

What can I say.  I was 12 in 1992.  I think everyone here can appreciate where I'm coming from.  Kirby might be king, but my local Dairy Mart didn't have any Kirby comics on the spinner rack in 1992 that I can remember.  That said, if someone would like to sell me a Kirby Cap or Thor page for the price of an equivalent Youngblood page, I'll have the money in your account by this afternoon.

11 hours ago, Nexus said:

My impression from the interview was that Kirkman sounds pretty grounded (talking about his Depression-era mentality from when he was broke, taking into consideration what his wife might say/think about a big purchase, etc.) and, in most cases, is probably not willing to bid krazy money just because he can.  He definitely sounds like he's into comic art, but, as you & he remarked during the podcast, it's not like he's plugged into this hobby 24/7 like yourself or others here. :blush:  As such, I'd say that it's probably more like "sorry to you guys trying to get YOUNGBLOOD on a budget, but those of you with both the resources and DSM-5 clinical OA psychosis, you probably don't have a lot to worry about from him." :insane: 

Edited by delekkerste

9 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I can't tell if you wrote that with a straight face or tongue-in-cheek but that sentence is lol 

lol

Both. I really do feel the pain for those going up against that kind of superior firepower!

1 hour ago, rocket1312 said:

What can I say.  I was 12 in 1992.  I think everyone here can appreciate where I'm coming from.  Kirby might be king, but my local Dairy Mart didn't have any Kirby comics on the spinner rack in 1992 that I can remember.  That said, if someone would like to sell me a Kirby Cap or Thor page for the price of an equivalent Youngblood page, I'll have the money in your account by this afternoon.

If YOUNGBLOOD is the Kirby Cap/Thor to the BSDs of your generation, then you could well end up paying the same price for both.

16 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

My impression from the interview was that Kirkman sounds pretty grounded (talking about his Depression-era mentality from when he was broke, taking into consideration what his wife might say/think about a big purchase, etc.) and, in most cases, is probably not willing to bid krazy money just because he can.  He definitely sounds like he's into comic art, but, as you & he remarked during the podcast, it's not like he's plugged into this hobby 24/7 like yourself or others here. :blush:  As such, I'd say that it's probably more like "sorry to you guys trying to get YOUNGBLOOD on a budget, but those of you with both the resources and DSM-5 clinical OA psychosis, you probably don't have a lot to worry about from him." :insane: 

He doesn't need to be plugged in 24/7...so long as sellers are. Since this podcast dropped, I've gotten a bunch of unsolicited offers from listeners looking to sell him '90s art! Including YOUNGBLOOD! lol

Seriously, I don't care at all about YOUNGBLOOD art, but I'm absolutely sympathetic to those who do.

2 minutes ago, Nexus said:

If YOUNGBLOOD is the Kirby Cap/Thor to the BSDs of your generation, then you could well end up paying the same price for both.

Good point.  If the NYX#3 cover is worth 70k then I'd have to think Youngblood #1 would fetch at least 250k.  Probably half a million when the movie finally comes out.

7 minutes ago, Nexus said:

He doesn't need to be plugged in 24/7...so long as sellers are. Since this podcast dropped, I've gotten a bunch of unsolicited offers from listeners looking to sell him '90s art! Including YOUNGBLOOD! lol

Seriously, I don't care at all about YOUNGBLOOD art, but I'm absolutely sympathetic to those who do.

Right again.  Greg Capullo has said many times that if and when he ever sells his X-Force art (Another nostalgic sweetspot.  I'd rather have it than Liefeld X-Force), Kirkman gets first dibs.  He doesn't need to be browsing CAF everyday.  He already wins.

58 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Maybe that was a poor choice of words on my part, as lack of access is not even remotely close to the point that I was trying to make.  What I meant was that I didn't get the impression that he eats, sleeps and breathes comic art 24/7 - that and the other things he mentioned (still remembers where he came from, wife would kill him if he blew a big wad on comic art, etc.) suggest to me that he probably would not be willing to pay $250K for the Youngblood #1 cover or $657K for New Mutants #98 or $2 million for Spawn #1 or what have you.  It takes a real clinical level of obsessive psychosis to justify purchases like that, and I got the distinct sense from the podcast that Kirkman was too grounded/balanced to have that level of OA fever these days (and I say that as a compliment) - and, as you mentioned in the podcast, why should he, as he has better options of how to spend his time these days.  

But, hey, if I'm wrong, I hear that the Lee/Williams/Chiodo X-Men piece he liked could be available - for a strong price, of course, but celeb-tax free! :whistle::insane:lol 

Edited by delekkerste

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Maybe that was a poor choice of words on my part, as lack of access is not even remotely close to the point that I was trying to make.  What I meant was that I didn't get the impression that he eats, sleeps and breathes comic art 24/7 - that and the other things he mentioned (still remembers where he came from, wife would kill him if he blew a big wad on comic art, etc.) suggest to me that he probably would not be willing to pay $250K for the Youngblood #1 cover or $657K for New Mutants #98 or $2 million for Spawn #1 or what have you.  It takes a real clinical level of obsessive psychosis to justify purchases like that, and I got the distinct sense from the podcast that Kirkman was too grounded/balanced to have level of OA fever (and I say that as a compliment) - and, as you mentioned in the podcast, why should he, as he has better options of how to spend his time these days.  

But, hey, if I'm wrong, I hear that the Lee/Williams/Chiodo X-Men piece he liked could be available - for a strong price, of course, but celeb-tax free! :whistle::insane:lol 

Yes and no...my sense is that there's definitely that push/pull between sanity and madness. Which side wins depends on the day. Don't forget...this is the guy who spent HALF his home equity loan on a (frankly questionable) art purchase when he was broke!

He definitely has better/more important things to do with his time, but I could see him as the type who eats/sleeps/breathes comic art 24/7 if he didn't. As it is, money buys him time via access, convenience, etc. Enviable position!