• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Nexus said:

I didn't ask. My sense was that "Scott Free" was his stage name as a musician and he just used it elsewhere, too. The guy has flair and I think there's a performance aspect to his public persona. In his private life, he uses his real name.

I have to say that this was the one podcast I was most excited to do. Everyone else I've talked to I pretty much know. There wasn't much they'd say that would be a surprise to me. This guy, OTOH, has been a total mystery for years. That he's even still around was cool to find out. So thanks again to Flambit for putting him in touch with me.

Thanks!  Really looking forward to hearing the podcast!

I did reach out to him, and sent him a link to this thread, but I haven't heard back.  Hopefully he'll drop by at some point...

Great work as usual Felix!  It's like the Big Lebowski sold a bunch of Frank Miller's Dark Knight artwork on accident.

I have one technical question about the podcasts: I tried to "go back" toward the end of the podcast and listen to a segment again, and the podcast kicked me back to the beginning.  Is it possible to skip around in the podcast?  I hadn't downloaded it, and I wasn't listening from iTunes or anything, just the link you provide in these posts.

Keep up the good work!  Best, Lee

Edited by Lee B.

7 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Smoking, drinking, drugs, rock star lifestyles, unprecedented profits and alleged communication breakdowns.
What could possibly go wrong?

Great podcast! 

sounds like a good late night made-for-cable-movie!

11 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Oh what I'd give to hear what Kirby would say about these guy's coke habits...

Great podcast!  Thanks again.

No, no....we kept things as clean and happy as a kid at Christmas when visiting Jack and Roz...

Scott

On 5/10/2017 at 0:57 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Thanks Felix!

Probably the most fun podcast to date. Tons of energy. Scott painted a vivid (colorful?) picture of those days. I felt transported to the 80s.

Hope you can do a 2nd one with him regarding the other creators he mentioned.

Hopefully Felix can return for a sequel. It was great fun reliving those Halcyon days..

SCOTT

Welcome to the boards Scott.

It's refreshing to hear someone talk so openly about things from that era.

So, from your recollection, regarding the 2 pages Frank wanted back ........

1) was the EMT nurse Mike Burkey?    

2) was the dealer who bought the Death of Joker page Albert Moy?  Felix already posted an image of the page Klaus inked and it seems like Frank had inked a version himself.  

Thanks.

All the best.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI

Scott, If ever there is a radio play of the Jack Kirby story, I want you to be the voice of Jack. Based on the Kirby interviews I've heard online, you've nailed both his voice and personality!

Thanks for sharing your recollections and thanks to Felix for conducting the interview, that was great fun!

Steve

5 hours ago, Scott Fresina said:

Hopefully Felix can return for a sequel. It was great fun reliving those Halcyon days..

SCOTT

I was at that 87 SDCC Scott and I remember you and the DK art.  What struck me then, and had me nodding during your podcast with Felix, was you mentioning that there was no organization of the art on display.  No folders, or wall mounts.  DK pages and splashes literally strewn over a table top! lol  I even mentioned this amazing sight in my own Felix podcast, it was so remarkable.  If I had known then that that was really my one single best shot at owning the best of the best DK art, I might have tried to figure out how to beg borrow or steal (not really) enough for an example, but I was dirt a poor comic artist!

Thanks for sharing your story and please, come back for round two!

Scott (a different Scott)

7 hours ago, Scott Fresina said:

No, no....we kept things as clean and happy as a kid at Christmas when visiting Jack and Roz...

Scott

Haha!  Thanks so much for sharing everything Scott!  I'd love to hear more of your comic stories.

Thank you Felix for the shout out on the latest podcast. It was interesting to hear  a bit more of the story behind the art I purchased at San Diego in 1987-hard to believe now that it  was 30 years ago!

Scott, I certainly didn't think that pic I shot with my disposable Kodak camera would end up being so famous in the original art world. I'm glad you were willing to pose for it though. Of course one reason I had you hold up that great Batman splash  was because I wanted to remember the one that I couldn't afford to take home that day and I figured it would likely be the last time I saw it (which thus far has turned out to be correct!)

One question-I know SDCC was a lot looser back then when it was in the hotel. I saw from the pic that you were set up next to Mike Thibideaux's booth. Since you were friends, did they let you set up that way so you could hang out with a friend, or was it just happenstance?  I was staying with Mitch Itkowitz and he got a spot along the wall-I assume that was harder to do, but clearly a better deal as a lot of the art he had up was literally taped (inside bags of course) to the wall and you didn't really have that opportunity so it wasn't as prominent. Of course the show was a lot smaller then so a prominent spot wasn't quite as critical, just helpful to show your wares better. Benno

5 hours ago, furthur said:

Thank you Felix for the shout out on the latest podcast. It was interesting to hear  a bit more of the story behind the art I purchased at San Diego in 1987-hard to believe now that it  was 30 years ago!

Scott, I certainly didn't think that pic I shot with my disposable Kodak camera would end up being so famous in the original art world. I'm glad you were willing to pose for it though. Of course one reason I had you hold up that great Batman splash  was because I wanted to remember the one that I couldn't afford to take home that day and I figured it would likely be the last time I saw it (which thus far has turned out to be correct!)

One question-I know SDCC was a lot looser back then when it was in the hotel. I saw from the pic that you were set up next to Mike Thibideaux's booth. Since you were friends, did they let you set up that way so you could hang out with a friend, or was it just happenstance?  I was staying with Mitch Itkowitz and he got a spot along the wall-I assume that was harder to do, but clearly a better deal as a lot of the art he had up was literally taped (inside bags of course) to the wall and you didn't really have that opportunity so it wasn't as prominent. Of course the show was a lot smaller then so a prominent spot wasn't quite as critical, just helpful to show your wares better. Benno

Can you post the pic?