• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crying the Canadian Blues (How low can the Loonie go??)

267 posts in this topic

With the CDN dollar sitting today at 1.38 I'm sure most of us Canadians will be really cutting back on our buying :(

Add on the taxes/duty we have to pay for books coming in from the US plus higher shipping to up here and we are paying almost 50% more..... :cry:

Just needed to rantrant

With the CDN dollar sitting today at 1.38 I'm sure most of us Canadians will be really cutting back on our buying :(

Add on the taxes/duty we have to pay for books coming in from the US plus higher shipping to up here and we are paying almost 50% more..... :cry:

Just needed to rantrant

Actually at closing today it was $1.395 and will get worse before it gets better. Great for Americans shopping here or coming up to our cons, but I agree with your rant. I am becoming a lot more choosy on what I purchase or refraining altogether. I can't maintain spending at this rate and for investment purpose it is a major loss on return. I'm wondering how this will affect prices at the Canadian cons or talent attending since they will not get as big of a return.

The other issue is subbing books to CGC. Becoming a fair bit more expensive to sub to CGC as a Canadian. Will be sending less for awhile now I imagine (not that I was ever a 'huge' submitter).

Also being a lot more choosy...Almost to point of paralysis...lol...Not sure if that is entirely fault of loonie but combo of shifting/unsure focus and loonie value...

whining Canucks. let me know when you're paying $2500 a month for healthcare
Or $35K for an ungrateful kid to attend some liberal arts college in some cold state.

Or $35K for an ungrateful kid to attend some liberal arts college in some cold state.

Send your ungrateful kid to McGill, an A-1 school at half the price :baiting:

(plus the exchange rate will almost make it free)

Yup. my spending has dropped a bunch. The longer the exchange sucks, the harder it'll be for Canadian dealers to restock. At best, they'll buy and sell in US funds, which doesn't help me at all.

Send your ungrateful kid to McGill, an A-1 school at half the price :baiting:

(plus the exchange rate will almost make it free)

I went to McGill! Still dumb... lol

What's tuituion for a foreigner now, $6000 a semester?

Pardon my stupidity, but why not just buy comics from dealers in Canada?

Because when dealers in Canada sell comic books to Canadians, they do this:

$1000 USD book (according to GPA) x 1.40 exchange rate = $1400 CAD

Some would even factor in the cost of shipping from the US.