• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crying the Canadian Blues (How low can the Loonie go??)

267 posts in this topic

I can see why collectors would hate that. "If you buy in Canadian, you should sell in Canadian."

The way I price my stuff, if sold in person, is the following:

1) I log into Ebay. I look at the sold items search for any matches. I sometimes look at Amazon.com because Ebay is simply a train wreck right now. Prices may not reflect supply and demand.

2) I convert to Canadian dollars at the current exchange rate...but...

3) I deduct 25% for projected Ebay and Paypal fees, I never charge for shipping if I don't ship. Then I take another 10-15% or so off for the pure convenience of not having to ship. I package comics tightly in cardboard, so it's a big hassle.

4) Group discounts as always.

Last time there was a big difference between the money in Canada and US race horse trainers would go up to Ft Erie and Wiodbine and claim horses out of races. Canadian horses running for 10k could be taken for much less due to the exchange then taken back to a US track and in some cases entered for 15k (US dollar mind you), win the race and now the horse gets claimed again for 15k. Not a bad deal if you can load up a van full of nice stock. Brains and money.

We've sunk pretty low before. 65 cents if I recall. We've been under far longer than we've ever been close to parity. Eventually, the dollar will fall so low that it becomes attractive to investors, buyers and importers.

What the gov should learn is not to put all their eggs in exporting the same old resources (lumber, oil, gas, diamonds, water, electricity,...) and actually build something that people want. They need to diversify and not leave their people in a lurch on a global downturn. We are also too reliant on American consumers.

Sorry got that out of my system. I will still buy but I'm just pickier.

Yeah, I'm considering selling my run of Amazing Spider-man. I bought most of it when the dollar was 92 cents CAD to $1 USD so I made a deal with myself that if the CAD drops below .70 cents to $1 USD I'd sell my run. We're looking at buying a house in the new year anyways so it might be time...

(Ps, in case anyone collects ASM it's issue 100-current including every variant. Except 667 Del Otto, 678 MJ as Venom and 700 Ditko)

It's going to get worse before it gets better too. I think 65 cents is coming, and quickly.

USA exchange rate to loonie is fine now at 1.40. The pain came when exchange rate used to be 1.58 Cdn = 1 greenback and int'l money order cost 1.60 exchange to buy plus service fee. Remember when Dark Horse Comics all charged exchange rate of 1.60 or 1.65 on new issues to Canadians? :boo:

I cannot buy books in USD like I did a couple years go - or even as recently as July when the dollar was 1.25

At 1.4 or worse, that's where I draw the line

I'm going to try to sell some books and use the USD to make a purchase or two, but my buying will be way lower than usual.

whining Canucks. let me know when you're paying $2500 a month for healthcare

I already am.

Why do you think my tax rate is so high?

Canadian Health Care isn't "free".

It's certainly subsidized. :makepoint:

I already am.

Yeah, depends where you live too. In BC, unless it's paid through your job, you pay for health care based on your income. The more you make, the more you pay for it. Lots of self-employed peeps in BC paying for health care.

As well, the low looney is ensuring my field (film work) is booming. Tons of Hollywood productions shooting here because of the super low dollar.

I already am.

Yeah, depends where you live too. In BC, unless it's paid through your job, you pay for health care based on your income. The more you make, the more you pay for it. Lots of self-employed peeps in BC paying for health care.

As well, the low looney is ensuring my field (film work) is booming. Tons of Hollywood productions shooting here because of the super low dollar.

So life is good! :applause:

43% tax rate on the upper end and its about to go up another 1.90% next year. :tonofbricks:

Tax is a percentage. If you want more money then your goal s/b to pay more taxes. ;)

Oh yeah I work hard but I like to keep some of my money not give it away to fat cat government employees so we can pay their ridiculous pensions/benefits. rantrant

43% tax rate on the upper end and its about to go up another 1.90% next year. :tonofbricks:

Tax is a percentage. If you want more money then your goal s/b to pay more taxes. ;)

Oh yeah I work hard but I like to keep some of my money not give it away to fat cat government employees so we can pay their ridiculous pensions/benefits. rantrant

So, life isn't good. (shrug)