• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crying the Canadian Blues (How low can the Loonie go??)

267 posts in this topic

From what I understand, the pump price is not directly correlated with ppb of oil.

Yes, but there should still be some type of indirect relationship between the two.

So, it makes sense to you that the pump price is relatively the same whether crude is at $40 a barrel as when it was $90 a barrel. :screwy:

Did anybody notice that Canada Post actually raised the price of shipping within Canada and to the USA last week? It's particularly bad for Small Packet USA for items over 500 grams.

Canada Post always implements their annual postal rate increases around the second week of January. Nothing new here. :gossip:

I bought $3K US at a rate of 1.4472 yesterday.

Today, it would have cost me 1.4615

If only you knew someone at the bank that could get staff rate :makepoint:

You hate me anyways so FU

From what I understand, the pump price is not directly correlated with ppb of oil.

Yes, but there should still be some type of indirect relationship between the two.

So, it makes sense to you that the pump price is relatively the same whether crude is at $40 a barrel as when it was $90 a barrel. :screwy:

Gene explained it a while back. Made sense when he did.

Gene explained it a while back. Made sense when he did.

To a certain extent it's mostly about protecting the federal tax dollars on gas. The government uses this tax base to fund many of our universal programs. It's the same reason that when Mulroney introduced the dreaded GST, one of Chretien's campaign promises was to eliminate it if elected, but once in power, he saw how much revenue it brought and we still have the GST to this day.

More importantly why doesn't he just have a US bank account and he wouldn't need to buy US, like a normal person? :baiting:

JJ

On the flip side, all of the comics us Canucks bought during the loonie parity period have appreciated by 40+% over the past year and a bit on top of any actual price gains. :banana:
yep, that's why I'm going to start selling of my ASM run....I bought 85% of it when the dollar was around 94 cents/USD.

You hate me anyways so FU

Good point carry on

lol

The story is even worse when you consider that the banks usually tack on another 3% for their "exchange services", so when the exchange rate is 1.4542 and if I try to buy USD my bank charging me 1.483 (these numbers are as of the very minute I'm typing this).

On the flip side, I'm also not getting 1.4542 if I'm selling books and converting back to Cdn dollars - again, the bank is taking their 3% off that as well.

At any rate, purchasing appears to be off the table for now as far as I'm concerned (unless it was something I just had to have, of course).

On the flip side, all of the comics us Canucks bought during the loonie parity period have appreciated by 40+% over the past year and a bit on top of any actual price gains. :banana:

Actually, not necessarily a good thing if you are a long term collector.

Especially with your better half fully cognizant of the exchange rate impact and constantly reminding you that it's a good time to be dumping your books. :blahblah::blahblah:

Especially with your better half fully cognizant of the exchange rate impact and constantly reminding you that it's a good time to be dumping your books. :blahblah::blahblah:

lol that's funny... she's right though. :baiting:

lol that's funny... she's right though. :baiting:

Yes, I really must get off my duff and start to think about dumping some of these books.

Should probably start with the doubles which I ended up with due to either purchasing errors or because they were simply too nice to pass up on when I saw them on the LCS shelves. Especially with some of these movie hyped books from the 70's and 80's since they probably really have nowhere else to go but down. Still hard to rationalize paying 50X or whatever the original book had cost me though just to have it graded. :P:censored:

Or I could continue to tell my better half that the dollar will continue to drop a bit further, which it most probably will. :idea:lol