• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

i hope the copy of Pep 25 they took the logo from was a beater.

Yep, I was just thinking the same thing. If you look closely on the Pep 22, you can just see the seam where the two "parts" were joined just below Dec. on the cover.

i hope the copy of Pep 25 they took the logo from was a beater.

Yep, I was just thinking the same thing. If you look closely on the Pep 22, you can just see the seam where the two "parts" were joined just below Dec. on the cover.

Am I missing something here?

If the top portion of the book came from Pep 25, then shouldn't it say 25 instead of 22 and the month should be Mar instead of Dec? hm

I definitely do see the seam line cutting across the cover though. ???

The top portion must have been painted over to match the 22.

In other words, the lower half is a real 22 and the top half is a 25 painted up to look like a 22 :sick:

Obviously some collectors exist who feel heavily restored books are a good investment. Others do not. But remember those of us who are doubters do believe that unrestored books ARE a good investment. Do you see the irony? Reminds me of the famous star trek episode on racism guest starring Frank Cashen. Two faces of the same coin! As long as the seller or restorer are not also one of the bidders whats the real problem that the market won't correct on its own.

It was Frank Gorshin, well known impressionist/actor. A great early role was in INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN! He also played The Riddler on the 60s BATMAN TV show.

Thanks for the correction. I knew Cashen didn't look right. Sad, but I even took the time to google the name before the post! Memory ain't what it once was.

No explanation is needed. It's quite obvious that the company is trying to keep itself afloat by attracting ambitious sellers with questionable books.

Kinda been like that from the beginning.

-J.

Strongly doubt this is based upon any factual truth since I heard from some actual collectors who use their services that they are swamped with books and their turnaround times are also exceedingly long. (shrug)

Jaydogrules is one of the board members that constantly feels the need to attack Voldemart logic and reality.

Fixed.

^^^^ Lazyboy, thy name is "troll". :eyeroll:

Joey, while I appreciate your less incendiary tone, it really is nobody's place or duty here on these boards to proffer suggestions on how to make Voldemort "better". They've picked their path and it is what it is. People are free to dislike them and spurn their product if they wish.

But to clear things up anyway just for the heck of it, here is my list of what I don't like about their services with some friendly suggestions for solutions:

1) Their labeling- (mostly) one colour fits all and specifically the use of blue for seemingly the sole purpose of blurring the lines if not to outright confuse the less savvy or well informed segments of the marketplace between restored and un-restored books.

Solution: If you want to use "one colour" for all your slabs use one other than blue.

2) "Verifying" dead creators' signatures.

Solution: None of your are professionally trained handwriting experts, stop doing that as forged signatures of dead people has in fact even fooled people with such credentials.

3) Validating the wanton destruction of books by calling it "professional restoration" and rewarding them with false, artificially high grades which will only encourage the destruction of more books.

Solution: Draw a line on how much and what kind of "restoration" a book can have before it is deemed un-gradeable.

4) Failing to state that books from bound volumes are trimmed.

Solution: Start doing that, even if you think it should be "obvious" or "common knowledge".

5) Labeling some books that have simply been restored as having "amateur conservation".

Solution: Stop doing that, since it is an oxymoron.

6) Slabbing essentially any "restored" book with virtually no or very little original material left and giving it a "grade".

Solution: Not everything belongs in a slab and/or should have a grade. Set some standards so that your labels aren't slathered across so much garbage.

7) Gift grading high end GA and SA books.

Solution: Tighten up a little to gain more credibility in the market.

8) All of this is to attract submissions from sellers with little regard to the buyers of these slabs. CGC has muuuuuch better mastered the balance of the interests of the secondary market IMO. Hence why Voldy slabs routinely sell at a noticeable discount.

Solution: Recognize that sellers will stop coming to you if buyers are paying significantly less for your slabs if your product is considered to be inferior.

My 2 cents.

-J.

I wonder why CGC graded many of IGB's comics then. At grades like 9.4's. I mean considering ''CGC has muuuuuch better mastered the balance of the interests of the secondary market IMO'' They must of only very recently mastered this skill. But good on them hey for finally getting there lol

To the CGC Community:

For purposes of transparency we thought it important to inform everyone that on December 13, 2016, CGC was sued in the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County by Matthew & Emily Meyers, as well as by their business Investment Grade Books, LLC ("IGB"). Also named as defendants were CCS, Matt Nelson and Heritage Auctions, Inc. We just received the Complaint three days ago.

In all five claims were asserted against the defendants. The Meyers claim (1) Defamation and (2) False Light, while IGB alleges (3) Intentional Interference with Existing Business Relations and (4) Intentional Interference with Prospective Contractual Relations. Both the Meyers and IGB are jointly pursuing a claim of (5) Civil Conspiracy. Rather than provide all the specific details, and because we believe it is important the community is aware of this action, I am providing a link of the full Complaint for everyone's review:

https://www.docdroid.net/Dx6w7uS/complaint.pdf.html

On behalf of CGC, CCS and Matt, rest assured we find the allegations to be false and completely baseless. We will not just defend ourselves against this lawsuit but actually fight aggressively. We welcome the opportunity to prove before a court of law that the accusations are frivolous.

Many of you may recognize some of the allegations as having been the subject of discussion in this thread where the Meyers posted under the username "igb":

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9083257&fpart=1

We take our commitment to this community very seriously, and we stand by our services and product 100%. That is why I will keep the community abreast of what transpires in the lawsuit, but please understand that given the nature of litigation I might not be able to respond to your questions. But at the appropriate times I will post further explanations and evidence.

If anyone has any relevant information to share, please feel free to contact me at Mark@MarkZaid.com.

From the CGC family, we wish everyone a very happy holiday season.

Mark S. Zaid, Esq.