• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

I never particularly saw a buy out on the horizon but I do think the viability of long term growth has been compromised. However, the PLOD designation gets 0 respect due to the stigma of a different label. The smartest thing Voldemort did was keep a single label but add the restoration notes on the top of the slab.

+1

I can't help but wonder whether, from a business standpoint, the new company would have done better if it had graded more strictly than CGC. The downside, of course, would have been that some sellers would have been reluctant to have their books graded by a company that gave more conservative grades. But the upside would have been increased credibility in the marketplace, which might have been a worthwhile tradeoff over time.

Based upon what I have been reading on the boards here over time, didn't CGC just come out of a period of loose grading towards the latter half of last year and they are currently in a much tighter period of grading. (shrug)

Just wondering if this was in response to grading at the other company which submittors I know had complained were much tighter than what was coming out from CGC at the time. I had mentioned several months ago about the possibility of a grading war between the 2 companies in order to win market share, but board members seemingly just laughed off the possibility of this scenario taking place.

Maybe this is exactly what we are seeing here, but it's hard to really tell since CGC apparently has a notorious history of swinging on the pendulum from loose grading to tight grading and then back again. hm

No Mcknowitall, you are not the shill ,.. its the person above with just a few posts.. and by the way what did that shill do to get banned and why does he keep coming back all the time ?

was he promoting the competition?

Thank you. I don't know anybody here really, and thought that as usual I offended. As one member suggested, I am a little slow on the uptake. I tried to type a reply that I appreciated his humor, but got a board notice that I ask not allowed to post. Then a number of posts disappeared. That is when I thought I was in real trouble an had caused a thread to get locked, but then I saw new posts, so I thought I would try again. I am a little dense I guess.

Folks, the "other company" aka steves's has a made a fatal businesses mistake..just to pay the bills....yep...so they cannot beat cgc when comes to say who wants to grade a unrestored 9.0 action #1...instead they open up the floodgates from the recreators..or clones or whatever you want to call them...I prefer "replicants" more human than human--tyrell.....

If they had stuck to the same grading system as the CGC, then say in the next 5 years they would been have bought them out..consolidated is what call it....BUT no...Steve took the bait...the quick buck and said..my company is gonna take over the restored grading book market...First I am not gonna use a green/purple label..smart move...and CGC should adopt the same after steve goes the way of PGX or whatever they did or still call it. Then, Steve's plan is to DOMINATE all the top graded restored books....just like CGC has done with the unrestored. Ok, Steve...take the market....take the the "replicants"...but you just lost a few collectors out of the loop a lot money when they go to resell or recover what they spent, just so you can be #1...and by the way..you lost 10 million dollar paycheck 5 years from now...its just a shame

Mitch, couple or so questions:

1) On what are you basing this planned buyout/consolidation: speculation or facts from those involved?

2) How much of "just to pay the bills" do you think is handled by a few uber-resto books in comparison to the large number of regular submissions? Or to put it another way:

3) What percentage of CBCS's income comes from these uber-restored books?

4) What percentage of CBCS's income comes from the more usual types of submissions?

In other words, you are saying a lot about CBCS's internal financials/plans. I am curious from where this information is gleaned. Or if it is just speculation on your part.

Folks, the "other company" aka steves's has a made a fatal businesses mistake..just to pay the bills....yep...so they cannot beat cgc when comes to say who wants to grade a unrestored 9.0 action #1...instead they open up the floodgates from the recreators..or clones or whatever you want to call them...I prefer "replicants" more human than human--tyrell.....

If they had stuck to the same grading system as the CGC, then say in the next 5 years they would been have bought them out..consolidated is what call it....BUT no...Steve took the bait...the quick buck and said..my company is gonna take over the restored grading book market...First I am not gonna use a green/purple label..smart move...and CGC should adopt the same after steve goes the way of PGX or whatever they did or still call it. Then, Steve's plan is to DOMINATE all the top graded restored books....just like CGC has done with the unrestored. Ok, Steve...take the market....take the the "replicants"...but you just lost a few collectors out of the loop a lot money when they go to resell or recover what they spent, just so you can be #1...and by the way..you lost 10 million dollar paycheck 5 years from now...its just a shame

1) On what are you basing this planned buyout/consolidation: speculation or facts from those involved?

2) How much of "just to pay the bills" do you think is handled by a few uber-resto books in comparison to the large number of regular submissions? Or to put it another way:

4) What percentage of CBCS's income comes from the more usual types of submissions?

In other words, you are saying a lot about CBCS's internal financials/plans. I am curious from where this information is gleaned. Or if it is just speculation on your part.

1-I think the head start on the market for the CGC can never really be overcome by any company which has just started up, CGC will and continue to be the market leader. At some point redundant costs play a factor in achieving market share. If you look at ATT when it was the only game in town back in the 70's it split and sort of came back together with the merger of the baby bells. It would have to make sense for both the CGC and the other guys to merge. A lot of things, many unplanned are gonna happen to the comic book market as well as the world economy in the next 5 years. It is certainly an option..if the buyout occurs in a market consolidation look for Steve to come out the winner. It could be a merger with a stock swap..that would be my prediction similar to Disney/Lucus where George got stock or like pixar with Jobs getting disney stock. So when I say buy out...and let me be clear it could be a merger, stock swap, or an CGC expansion...its gonna occur as the laws of the sea apply..the big boys buy up the little boys..

1-I think the head start on the market for the CGC can never really be overcome by any company which has just started up, CGC will and continue to be the market leader. At some point redundant costs play a factor in achieving market share. If you look at ATT when it was the only game in town back in the 70's it split and sort of came back together with the merger of the baby bells. It would have to make sense for both the CGC and the other guys to merge. A lot of things, many unplanned are gonna happen to the comic book market as well as the world economy in the next 5 years. It is certainly an option..if the buyout occurs in a market consolidation look for Steve to come out the winner. It could be a merger with a stock swap..that would be my prediction similar to Disney/Lucus where George got stock or like pixar with Jobs getting disney stock. So when I say buy out...and let me be clear it could be a merger, stock swap, or an CGC expansion...its gonna occur as the laws of the sea apply..the big boys buy up the little boys..

And smaller companies never overtake larger ones. Ever.

IBM *cough* Microsoft *cough* Apple

2-When a new trend or new way to make money...legally or according to the grade company acceptability...a new market emerges...today its one new company...turning out high grade...well...restored books if you want to call them that....the word is gonna get out...and every tom, and harry....is going copy...as long as there is big money to made.....I believe steve's bills as a start up company are a fraction of the CGC's are,however he want market share...and he has be aggressive to get it...so, and I admit here, he did the right think and not color discriminate against a book which has been restored. Ok,good idea..and that gives him a leg up on the CGC if you OWN or SELL a ungraded restored book...you are gonna got to him, where he got lost was the issue of what is or what is not a "real comic book". I don't think he can go back...but if he is taking on the CGC with a hope to survive long enough for a buy-out merger he is gonna have to take away market share...and by putting the ultra high grade resto books out there...well it like the best advertising you can get. I believe he is aggressively going after that market and trying to establish a market lead in the resto grading market, while covering the bills. Short good, but in my opinion 5/10 year not so good...which means merger,sale or consolidation.

So basically that is opinion on question 1. What about my other questions?

3- The more Uber-restored books...the higher % income they will become, it would be my prediction the submissions for 2016 will increase over 2015.

4- Being a new company, that could change very easily over time...if you use the CGC model since they have originated, it likely that other company will follow a similar pattern but for possibly a higher % of the restored books, also CGC was the only game in town when it first started..so those statistics might not be 100% right, but it might produce a trend, probably this could be answered more accurately with a 3/5 years of CBCS in the books.

And smaller companies never overtake larger ones. Ever.

IBM *cough* Microsoft *cough* Apple

Good examples of loss of market share by companies not following current trends, however, the CGC in not in the ever changing Tech game, but comic book grading game...still it shows that one cannot assume they will rule the market forever.

So basically that is opinion on question 1. What about my other questions?

It cannot be a fact until it actually occurs. I can only rely on the laws of capitalism and historical data in similar business situations...so we are basically gonna have to see how this plays out. The only other situation which could be a game changer would be a shut-down of the business, I don't believe that is gonna occur for either company, at this point.

Every now and then somebody here will indicate they don't really understand that CGC is a private enterprise and not some kind of comic book equivalent of the SEC, with governmental power to enforce standards and prosecute those who fail to comply.

And that's on a board (and in a hobby) which contains a higher percentage of smart people than average.

...I guess all of the smart ones haven't found this site yet :roflmao:

....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Oh Jimbo - that is RICH... :D

It cannot be a fact until it actually occurs. I can only rely on the laws of capitalism and historical data in similar business situations...so we are basically gonna have to see how this plays out. The only other situation which could be a game changer would be a shut-down of the business, I don't believe that is gonna occur for either company, at this point.

Quite true - it cannot be a fact until it happened. But you and others keep posting things as facts. Motivations. Plans. Financials. etc. as if you all had some invisible ear to the wall. That such and such actions were done for these factual reasons, but no substance to back things up. Whenever opinion or desires get expressed as facts, the "argument" diminishes.

And Mitch, I am not talking just about you but the others I addressed further up.

Quite true - it cannot be a fact until it happened. But you and others keep posting things as facts. Motivations. Plans. Financials. etc. as if you all had some invisible ear to the wall. That such and such actions were done for these factual reasons, but no substance to back things up. Whenever opinion or desires get expressed as facts, the "argument" diminishes.

And Mitch, I am not talking just about you but the others I addressed further up.

..... Personally..... I like the folks at both CGC and CBCS..... a lot. It is my hope that they all succeed and that turnaround times everywhere are brought under control for the consumer. There's enough meat to go around. GOD BLESS...

..... Personally..... I like the folks at both CGC and CBCS..... a lot. It is my hope that they all succeed and that turnaround times everywhere are brought under control for the consumer. There's enough meat to go around. GOD BLESS...

Right, and the consequences of either of them failing would not be good for the hobby, imo.

I understand your position but you need to take into account age and experience...been there and done that...let me tell you about a comic book store called Camelot....

This was Bruce Hamiltion, Russ Cochran, and Burell Rowe ( and by the way it he still alive..last time I asked he was that was ten years ago,Bruce is not and Russ is).

It was a very big deal...ask Richard Evans...the three GIANTS of the comic book industry and Mr Rowe whom I believe was an attorney for the Hunt Bros( 50 buck silver) has more $$$ then he knew what to do with. At the time I remember, this is it...the greatest comic book company that will last forever.. they were bullet proof .nobody could top the $$ or the experience of especially Bruce and Russ.....well how many still remember them....being a store owner as well as a 55 year+ collector you see similar patterns going over and over again...

God bless it we are still here....but if you sit back and look in the long run...At some point the comic book market begins a slow declining price drop due to lack of collector demand from the "throwaway" generation..when the smoke clears its gonna be the CGC all the way...I would not be surprised to see Steve become the president of this company someday, someway...just looking a bit forward with a lot of experience behind...

I totally agree and very nicely said. I feel exactly the same way.