• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

No disrepect taken

All I am saying is I found out that he restored the pep 22 cgc 9.4. Didn't exactly take me days to do.

Plus not defending just not joining in the circle pushing the kid on the middle. When/if I have the FACTS about their work handed to me I will then make my own assumptions on their work

Look no drama. All is good

Plus like I have said hearing from someone that someone told them that they had handled one and their comics and the techinques where not to their liking just isn't how I would go about judging their work. They could be right just like to make my own mind up is all. Or maybe like I have said the other restorer has an agenda. Not saying that in this circumstance this is true but to rule that out is a bit silly

I think you're missing the part where Bedrock said he spoke with Steve Borock about the restoration done to the book. Considering that Steve graded it I would think he would be familiar with the restoration techniques used. While the criticism of the techniques may have come from others, Steve's description of the book would have no negative bias.

If anyone wants to check out some Matt Meyers resto work just go to matterus023's first post on these boards...a Strange Tales 110 pence copy. It was later listed for auction on eBay through igb.corp. There is a strong possibility that the 2.0 Hulk 1 that matterus bought is now the 9.8 CBCS copy with the bottom trimmed off.

If anyone wants to check out some Matt Meyers resto work just go to matterus023's first post on these boards...a Strange Tales 110 pence copy. It was later listed for auction on eBay through igb.corp. There is a strong possibility that the 2.0 Hulk 1 that matterus bought is now the 9.8 CBCS copy with the bottom trimmed off.

You mean he wasn't playing devil's advocate just for the hell of it? :devil:

matterus023 has also been buying up GA keys through WTB requests (Pep #22, Batman #1, Superman #1, etc), many of which have already been possibly bought, restored and sold through igb.corp

The Hulk #1 is a different copy but matterus023 has been signing his posts as Matt on this forum so it's very possible that matterus023 is Matt Meyers.

:o

matterus023 has also been buying up GA keys through WTB requests (Pep #22, Batman #1, Superman #1, etc), many of which have already been possibly bought, restored and sold through igb.corp

The Hulk #1 is a different copy but matterus023 has been signing his posts as Matt on this forum so it's very possible that matterus023 is Matt Meyers.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

He's not doing anything wrong. People are free to restore books any way they find works best for them.

But it does make matterus023's discussion look disingenuous.

If anyone wants to check out some Matt Meyers resto work just go to matterus023's first post on these boards... There is a strong possibility that the 2.0 Hulk 1 that matterus bought is now the 9.8 CBCS copy with the bottom trimmed off.

:o

Nothing to see here, based upon Roy's post below:

Are we now saying that matterus023 is likely the person who has done the work to this Tec 33 (and the other ones like it)? And that he has been seeking to buy restored or low grade GA and SA keys so that he can "super restore" them , send them to CBCS for their generous grading and labeling practices and then flip them for (hopefully) profit ?

-J.

Are we now saying that matterus023 is likely the person who has done the work to this Tec 33 (and the other ones like it)? And that he has been seeking to buy restored or low grade GA and SA keys so that he can "super restore" them , send them to CBCS for their generous grading and labeling practices and then flip them for (hopefully) profit ?

-J.

hm

It was pretty clear by the wording of Matts posts that he was the restorer! A mix of an uninterested observer just innocently stating that no one knows how the work was done etc.... Obfuscating the negative reaction we have to these books and their grades.

We've been here long enough to spot when the interested party doth protest too much!

Cool of Bedrock to tease it out of him.

Originally his work was performed on silver age keys. Those books ended up with incredibly stiff covers due to his heavy use of fixatives. He has gradually reduced the amount so that the covers are a little less rigid but the comparison to the World's Best cardboard cover are pretty apt.

And so we are clear on my stance, I really have no problem with the work itself, other than the fact that its purpose is simply to improve appearances with no concern for originality. They are his books and he can paint them up however he wants to. My issue is more with the idea that the term "apparent grade" can be used by graders to mask the fact that they can't see the line between original and recreation. If that is the case then at some point what is to stop someone from completely recreating both interior and exterior of a book? What if a really proficient restorer were to completely bleach out a Detective 26 and recreate a Detective 27 from the cover and pages? With these extreme restoration jobs the grading companies must have some way to clearly quantify how much of a book is original and how much is recreation, whether done by leafcasting or by excessive color touch.

Out of curiosuty how do you know as you already mentioned you have never actually had one to hand etc?

Like I said before these type of comments unless backed up by evidence or 1st hand experience are a slippery slope. No disrespect MrBedrock but until you personally (as you seem to have a decent grasp of restoration methods) have inspected one of the comics yourself I would always advise to not try and belittle someone's work until you have all the answers to these questions displayed infront of you.

Again always hard to have a discussion through a screen without being able to convey actual tone. So once again no disrespect to anyone just think too many people are too quick to be negative nowadays.

Mattreus23 can you tell us if you've had any books restored this way, held one in your hands or dealt with the seller?

If so, any first hand knowledge would be interesting/helpful and may shed light on things or clear up some concerns.

I know you've posted a number of WTB threads looking for already restored (no trimming) GA (BAT 1, TEC 31, CAP 1, PEP 22 etc.) and SA keys (Hulk 1 and AF15) so I figured it was possible you may have gone down this road, considered it or crossed path with the restorer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Not wanting to pile on here ... but was there an answer to this question?

+1

matterus023, your answer was not satisfactory.

If acquired, what are/were your future intentions with these particular restored (non trimmed) books?

Cut the !

no law against buying books and restoring them

make a buck, heck make lots of bucks

being disingenuous still aint no crime

but shilling...you crossed the line buddy. and don't pee on my back and tell me its raining either

Wow nice to wake up to this. Appreciate it guys

My name is Matt Huskinson and I live in the UK. So no I am not Matt Meyers. If more proof is needed then I could provide if needed as seems with the level of person_without_enough_empathyiness on here it may be needed. Plus I didn't buy the hulk 2.0 cgc

But thanks for those jumping to conclusions and high fiving each other like losers over the internet. Lots of you on here are extremely rude and pathetic.

Basically it seems if you don't agree with a little wolf pack on here then you will get mess

Stay classy lol