• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS...show us your books from 1966!

262 posts in this topic

Some Superboy's from the Drugstore...

5fn0g9.jpg

..... those "bug people" covers always gave me the willies when I was a kid..... couldn't get enough of 'em.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I didn't start collecting until around '75, so my spinner rack originals are only about 40 years old. But here's a few back issues I bought back then. I started going to the local monthly show not too long after I got into comics. Mail order seemed too sketchy, and I wanted to be able to see what I was buying.

ASM39.jpg

ASM33.jpg

24208300072_85af61e41c_b.jpg

All of these, except B and B 61, were on the racks at the drug store back in 66. It was a big year for Batman.

Unfortunately, popularity of the TV show seemed to damage DC sales.

Batman didn't recover until Frank Miller saw the dark side of the character.

I didn't start collecting until around '75, so my spinner rack originals are only about 40 years old. But here's a few back issues I bought back then. I started going to the local monthly show not too long after I got into comics. Mail order seemed too sketchy, and I wanted to be able to see what I was buying.

ASM39.jpg

ASM33.jpg

Seems to me you had an eye for condition. It took me years to see defects.

Seems to me you had an eye for condition. It took me years to see defects.

Yeah, even as a kid I always looked for the best copies I could afford though if it came down to waiting for a higher grade copy of an issue I wanted to turn up I’d just buy what was available, especially for more difficult to find books. I remember buying a low-grade pre-hero one time and my dad questioning the purchase; I explained it was a little beat but they didn’t turn up that much. One fellow who always had quality books was Eddie Brunelle. He wasn’t much older than I was and used to set up with his mother. A few years ago I found out from a long-time local dealer that he had gotten out of comics some time ago, but also that he had passed away.

Nice war books BB...and I knew nobody liked Dennis's... :sorry:

I do have a few Dennis specials and I enjoyed the Sunday pages.

I probably am more interested in collecting Little Archie than Dennis.

I like the Jelly Bean economy and early-development imagination of the characters.

23749717344_4705669979_o.gif

Those are supposed to be dancing jelly beans.

Drugstore book...

27yn4te.jpg

Gotta love the Parasite. Truly a villain worthy of Superman!

Story written by a 14-year-old kid.

Literally.

Little Jimmy Shooter. :grin:

Who's got Adventure 346... that kid's first comic? :wishluck: