• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS...show us your books from 1966!

262 posts in this topic

Nice war books BB...and I knew nobody liked Dennis's... :sorry:

I do have a few Dennis specials and I enjoyed the Sunday pages.

I probably am more interested in collecting Little Archie than Dennis.

I like the Jelly Bean economy and early-development imagination of the characters.

23749717344_4705669979_o.gif

Those are supposed to be dancing jelly beans.

Here's a Drugstore Little Archie...I evidently loved those more, and none of the 3 drugstore copies I still have are in high grade...someone should do a Little Archie thread... hm

Oh, and if you want to see my little Little Archie collection here's the link:

sfctn5.jpg

Here's a Drugstore Little Archie...I evidently loved those more, and none of the 3 drugstore copies I still have are in high grade...someone should do a Little Archie thread... hm

Oh, and if you want to see my little Little Archie collection here's the link:

sfctn5.jpg

If you haven't read seanbaby's hilarious takedown of Little Archie , you should.

I do remember Robert Bell bags but that was 1970 for me. When did comic book bags appear? hm

I think the first time I went into Cherokee bookshop to buy comics they had bags. You got a bag for every book you bought. That was late 1965 or early 1966.

I would think the bags themselves would be comic book memorabilia.

I do remember Robert Bell bags but that was 1970 for me. When did comic book bags appear? hm

I think the first time I went into Cherokee bookshop to buy comics they had bags. You got a bag for every book you bought. That was late 1965 or early 1966.

I would think the bags themselves would be comic book memorabilia.

You want to buy some of mine...?

Here are scans of seven of my favourite DC covers from my collection cover dated January 1966:

26-08-2012104758PM.jpg

008_zps89498184.jpg

22-07-2012110547PM.jpg

Despite Zatanna's incredibly thick thighs! Pickings are getting slim.

15-10-201145637PM.jpg

20-09-201184010PM.jpg

OurFightingForces97.jpg

11-08-2011105224PM.jpg

:cool:

...in 66. It was a big year for Batman.

Unfortunately, popularity of the TV show seemed to damage DC sales.

Not true! The TV show did great things for DC comic sales, for a year or two. The damage inflicted was to DC's comic line as Julius Schwartz and the other editors tried to ape the execrable TV show thus alienating long-time comic fans. When the popularity of the TV show faded in late 1967, DC found that Batman had a much diminished fan base.

Batman didn't recover until Frank Miller saw the dark side of the character.

Not true. Neal Adams arrived on the scene in the late sixties in the nick of time to save Batman.

I didn't start collecting until around '75, so my spinner rack originals are only about 40 years old. But here's a few back issues I bought back then. I started going to the local monthly show not too long after I got into comics. Mail order seemed too sketchy, and I wanted to be able to see what I was buying.

ASM39.jpg

ASM33.jpg

Seems to me you had an eye for condition. It took me years to see defects.

In 1975 those ASMs would have been called "Mint"... lol

Sad, but all too true.

:(