• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC did not slab my repro cover with coverless book

47 posts in this topic

Regardless of feelings on repro covers, as a book in my collection, a repro cover is how I wish to display it. And spending the money that I did, I feel I did not get the service I expected.

CGC should update their webpage to reflect what is necessary for repro covers and pages to make it to the slap.

I still feel like a phone call would have been nice. The cover was obviously sent in with the book for a reason.

I assume if i had stuck a random staple in the book it would be OK.

The webpage has always stated it. No free floating items.

Please remember that no floating items can be encapsulated with the comic book (i.e. Certificates of Authenticity's, Pedigree COA's, free-floating 3-D glasses, poly-bags). Poly-bagged comics must be taken out of the poly-bag before being graded.

Regardless of feelings on repro covers, as a book in my collection, a repro cover is how I wish to display it. And spending the money that I did, I feel I did not get the service I expected.

CGC should update their webpage to reflect what is necessary for repro covers and pages to make it to the slap.

I still feel like a phone call would have been nice. The cover was obviously sent in with the book for a reason.

Please remember that no floating items can be encapsulated with the comic book (i.e. Certificates of Authenticity's, Pedigree COA's, free-floating 3-D glasses, poly-bags). Poly-bagged comics must be taken out of the poly-bag before being graded.

Unless it's a detached cover....

Unless it's a detached cover....

But this wasn't a detached cover. It was a repro cover not original to the book. In this case it's no different than sending in anything else to be encapsulated with the book. A detached cover that goes with the book is encapsulated to keep the pieces together. These pieces don't naturally go together.

Repro are automatic NG, I know that already. I just wanted it to look nice on the shelf. Talked to the grader on the phone who remembered the book, and he said the cover has to be stapled. Otherwise they 'don't know why the photocopies are there'

:facepalm:

I said a phone call would have been nice.

"I just put it there so you'd know what issue it was"

The rules seem pretty clear -- although reproduction covers are not mentioned, they fall under the definition.

So with respect to the OP, if CGC had phoned and said that they would not encapsulate the unattached cover, what would he had done?

Six options ... two are moot and four involve losing money on the initial slabbing.

Then

Have the CGC go ahead and slab the coverless copy.

Don't slab the book, have it returned and keep it as it was.

Don't slab the book, staple the cover on when returned and resubmit.

Now

Unslab the book, staple on the cover and resubmit.

Unslab the book and keep the cover with it as it was before.

Keep the coverless slab.

hm

The rules seem pretty clear -- although reproduction covers are not mentioned, they fall under the definition.

So with respect to the OP, if CGC had phoned and said that they would not encapsulate the unattached cover, what would he had done?

Six options ... two are moot and four involve losing money on the initial slabbing.

Then

Have the CGC go ahead and slab the coverless copy.

Don't slab the book, have it returned and keep it as it was.

Don't slab the book, staple the cover on when returned and resubmit.

Now

Unslab the book, staple on the cover and resubmit.

Unslab the book and keep the cover with it as it was before.

Keep the coverless slab.

hm

From what I gather they only way to keep that cover attached and retain the blue label is to tape it on. You could take out the staples and put them back in with the reproduction cover, but there is a good chance it will come back with a purple label. CGC has stated if they can detect that the staples have been tampered with then it will come back restored. One would assume it would be obvious knowing the cover was attached with staples, but evidently not.

All the guy wants is a NG. It's not a grade so restored or conserved don't apply.

If they can detect the staples being touched it would come back NG restored. Again the only way to guarantee blue label NG is to tape the reproduction cover on.

Cover attached with tape:

det1.8558a.jpg

Purple NG:

image_zpsax9i46p4.jpeg

All the guy wants is a NG. It's not a grade so restored or conserved don't apply.

If they can detect the staples being touched it would come back NG restored. Again the only way to guarantee blue label NG is to tape the reproduction cover on.

det1.8558a.jpg

Ok, intersting. I haven't seen a NG Purple Label before...at least I don't recall.

CGC has some strange grading rules. hm

What if he just took a stapler and attached the cover with new holes and left the original staples alone?

What if he used glue instead of tape? Restored or Blue NG?

If you want a blue label NG with a repro cover attached with the original staples (not tape!), it can be done without removing the staples as long as they're not too tight. All you do is cut tabs in the repro cover, slip the tabs under the original staples, then repair the cover however you like. BAM, attached repro cover, with no tape or anything else affecting the original copy. At least that's how it should work theoretically.

The grade or label was not a concern. I just wanted a copy lol

It came back purple due to glue and tear seals (which I knew about when I bought it) but the page quality was nice (came back off white / white.)

So I just wanted to slab it for the pages but have the cover for presentation. Yes it has a great splash that is practically the cover , but again not what I wanted to display it.

12494297_10156376356020133_2102607661_o.jpg

The part that really bothers me is that screeners, graders, etc would look at a repro and have no idea why it's there.

The part that really bothers me is that screeners, graders, etc would look at a repro and have no idea why it's there.

Not sure what I am going to do with the book now.

"We don't know why it's there" is probably an excuse so that they don't have to deal with calling you, arguing over why they won't slab it with the floating cover, etc. This way they can just point to their policy and crank it through the system.

As far as what you should do with the book, I'd recommend keeping it. I'm no Batman expert, so I looked up the prices of low-grade books w/covers... yowza! I assume that your coverless copy was significantly less expensive. If you're not going to be happy unless you display it in a CGC holder with a (repro) cover, I'd crack it out of the slab and do what I suggested to attach a cover to it (or have a pro do it). If the staples aren't loose enough to do that, have a pro attach it with a reversible method (e.g. japan paper and wheat paste, or whatever the latest-greatest method is). Honestly, that book deserves a full pro restoration since it's already a purple label and you want a cover.