• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do GA Collectors Read The Comic Buyer's Guide?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I posted a similar message in the General section but it is clear that many of you who post in this section do not do so in, and may not even read, the General section. As it is your opinion I am most interested in, forgive the cross-posting.

I am contemplating advertising in the CBG. I already have two full page ads coming out in the next Overstreet Guide.

As anyone who reads one of my postings knows, I specialize in high grade/key books from 1930-1963, and many of my books will be pricey (due to value, not b/c of any attempt to generate huge profits at the expense of the collector). There will be many books priced between $5k to $50k, and few under $500.

The CBC supposedly has a circulation of 40,000 readers, of which 7,000 are from subscriptions. I would be interested to know who is reading the CBG and whether that reader is potentially - realistically - my customer. Full page color ads run close to $2k with CBG.

I welcome any comments from collectors and dealers alike, and I would appreciate identification of which category you fall into. Thanks.

Mark,

I used to subscribe to the CBG, but I haven't felt a need to read it since they changed their format from a newspaper to magazine format. I'm sure you could reach some readers, but I think you'll do better by advertising your wares in the Marketplace forum right here, and on your website.

The CBG has a bigger circulation than middle of the road Marvel comics?

I'm suspicious of that 40K circulation figure. OTOH, 3K of those may be comic shops who buy a copy for themselves.

One of my LCSes, which is pretty busy on new comic day given that it's right near Wall Street (but which only does a small back issue business) seems to order 4 or 5 of them a month.

Why would this give you more exposure than selling on ebay (through a store or whatever?). Personally, I'd be really hesitant sending a M.O. or giving my CC info to some guy running an ad.

I did for a couple of years but quit about 6 years ago simply because there was so little information about Gold. I think launching your own website and announcing it here on the boards and also advertising in Overstreet is a much better way to go. thumbsup2.gif

I just renewed my subscription for the next 4 years. I've been reading CBG since the early 90s and wish to support them. Also, I some of my favorite books were bought through CBG ads. Most of the hard core US collectors I know subscribe to it.

I would still be a subscriber if the content was more interesting. There was rarely any information on the history of comics. They would be wise to get Michelle Nolan to do a column now that CBM is gone.

I'm suspicious of the value of the ad. Have you looked into doing an ad in Alter Ego? You might do just as well for a whole lot less. I think the other suggestions of working through this forum and other online sources may do better for you. What about blog ads or ads on some other fannish site (art dealers advertise on the comic art fan site). These might be a better bang for the buck, given that you are doing the Overstreet Ad.

Edited by adamstrange

Mark,

I used to subscribe to the CBG, but I haven't felt a need to read it since they changed their format from a newspaper to magazine format. I'm sure you could reach some readers, but I think you'll do better by advertising your wares in the Marketplace forum right here, and on your website.

Mark;

Same with me here. I used to subscribe to CBG and basically let the subscription lapse when it converted to the current magazine format. Starting to look too much like a cross between the old CBG and Wizard magazine.

The 40K circulation figure appears to be quite a bit on the high side compared to when it was in the old paper format. I guess this increased circulation figure must now include all of the regular retail outlets which never used to carry the old CBG. Only thing is that these outlets are allowed to return all unsold copies.

I have subscribed off and on to CBG since 1993. I took out a couple ads through the years (not the expensive ones) and had some success. IMO I can't think of another current publication which could seriously compete with it for your advertising dollars. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't bother with CBG. I flip through it occassionally at the LCS, am always disappointed it by, and never buy it.

In terms of advertising your new company, Mark, I think your best bet is in comic forums like this one and a nice big full-color ad in the OS. thumbsup2.gif

On 3/14/2005 at 9:11 PM, lou_fine said:

Mark;

Same with me here. I used to subscribe to CBG and basically let the subscription lapse when it converted to the current magazine format. Starting to look too much like a cross between the old CBG and Wizard magazine.

The 40K circulation figure appears to be quite a bit on the high side compared to when it was in the old paper format. I guess this increased circulation figure must now include all of the regular retail outlets which never used to carry the old CBG. Only thing is that these outlets are allowed to return all unsold copies.

Thread bump