• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Doctor Who Series

252 posts in this topic

I just remember Ian sitting down planning a takeover of the Dalek city, while the Doctor was playing around with the younger Thals . Plus, he consistently made bad decisions and needed an earthling to set him straight.

Ian nagged the Doctor to leave the planet and not explore the city, so the Doctor secretly removed the fluid link from the Tardis console, then pretended to try to take off, just to get his own way.

Later, insisting they had to retrieve it once IAN had lost it, he made Ian stir up aggression amongst the Thals.

so finally a new series and i hear on virgin radio today that Eccleston has said he won't re-sign for a 2nd season as the doctor.

foreheadslap.gif

Not such a big loss - Eccleston's playing of the Doctor as a whacky, hyper-active schoolteacher really grates after a bit. All that gurning, grinning and condescension. No subtlety at all.

so finally a new series and i hear on virgin radio today that Eccleston has said he won't re-sign for a 2nd season as the doctor.

foreheadslap.gif

Not such a big loss - Eccleston's playing of the Doctor as a whacky, hyper-active schoolteacher really grates after a bit. All that gurning, grinning and condescension. No subtlety at all.

How was the show Goldust?

foreheadslap.gif

How was the show Goldust?

To be fair (and without wanting to spoil things too much for those who have yet to see it) it wasn't terrible, but after all the hype, it's still very much a kid's program with half-baked characterization.

That said, apart from Eccleston's irritating performance and Piper's somnolent underplaying as the new sidekick, it's well made - fast editing, decent SFX (which is a big change from before) and some pithy moments.

The plot, which involves a creature similar to the one in Swamp Thing 9 (amorphous, gigantic and pus-ridden), is as absurd as shows of yore - said megalomaniac being wants to destroy earth and has the power to activate shop-window mannequins to do his bidding (which involves shooting people in a shopping centre). Very old school, that, although much more violent than I remember.

There's a throwaway sub-plot involving an amateur sleuth who is aware of the existence of Timelords and their effect on earth's history. But that soon gets lost in the shuffle.

They broadcasted a trailer for the second episode that looks far more appealing than the opener (which was really just a long chase around London) - the Doctor and his sidekick travel forward 5 billion years into the future to the end of time. It seemed reminiscent of Hitch-hikers Guide - very odd.

So the series could be good. Bear in mind that I stopped being interested in the good Doctor's adventures not long after Tom Baker left, so I have little idea about how to compare this with the C. Baker and McCoy years........

To be fair (and without wanting to spoil things too much for those who have yet to see it) it wasn't terrible, but after all the hype, it's still very much a kid's program with half-baked characterization.

That said, apart from Eccleston's irritating performance and Piper's somnolent underplaying as the new sidekick, it's well made - fast editing, decent SFX (which is a big change from before) and some pithy moments.

Yeah I found him somewhat irritating as well, just like he was taking the p1ss...

I did like the "Aren't you from the North" line though...that was pretty funny.

And Billie Piper wore too much clothes sign-rantpost.gif

foreheadslap.gif

tonofbricks.gif

At this rate, the Doctor will run out of his 12 regenerations in no time. foreheadslap.gif

Maybe, the Time Lords can offer him another full set of 12 regenerations like they did to the Master in the Five Doctors. I've always wondered whether they were just pulling his chain in that episode. Otherwise, why wouldn't the president just give himself 13 more lives and rule Gallifrey for another 2,000 years.

I did not really enjoy the first episode although a friend at the Beeb told me the series improves with each episode. I actually stopped watching Dr Who shortly after McCoy took over but one thing that has struck me about all the Doctors from the past is that they all had character. Ecclestones one-dimensional acting does little very little for the show's big hype and if it wasnt for the fact that Piper keeps saying Doctor over and over again you would forget who he was, and then there i was thinking to myself i might begin to warm to him as the series moves on only to find he has quit already, great.

The showroom dummies coming to life and killing people has been used before(i think they were called Autons?) but it was good to see the concept again.

Also i agree that Billy Piper is too fully clothed. If only she could wear the dress she wore in Canterbury Tales(phwoar) then the viewing figures would soar.

The first episode had it's flaws and Goldmusty's observation that it's really just a kids programme is a good one - but it was far better than most of the other nonsense we get on a Saturday night.

Eccleston is a fantastic actor - remember Cracker, Shallow Grave, The Second Coming etc etc - so I've high hopes for the rest of the series.

There were instances of brilliance - the world spinning line and the earlier scenes but it felt a bit "trying to appeal to everyone" at times - and the FX with the whellie-bin were somewhat embarrasing.

But hearing that music again! Wow!

I look forward to hearing what Ian thought...

Eccleston is a fantastic actor - remember Cracker, Shallow Grave, The Second Coming.

Eccleston is definitely a good actor for the reasons you cited above, amongst others.

It's just that he's badly miscast in this particular role, and seems very uncomfortable in it.

As is Billie Piper, who has yet to show evidence of any decent acting ability.

Ian thinks that it was magical, a true return to the Golden Age. Doctor Who was never this good since the 1970s. Russell T. Davies is a true genius and a messiah to Doctor Who.

The later episodes get better and better, especially part three, where he meets Charles Dickens set against a Victorian gothic story of alien ghosts.

The team of Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper is a magical combination.

The show got ten and a half million and an audience appreciation of 81%.

A new series has been commissioned plus a Christmas Special.

All of which was amazing and wonderful UNTIL he quit the role after only one episode has been aired.

To me this smacks of using the show and the fans to further his career at the show's expense, and destroying the faith all the fans have built up in him.

I admire him tremendously as an actor, but HATE what he's done to us.

And it makes me very very angry indeed.

Ian thinks that it was magical, a true return to the Golden Age. Doctor Who was never this good since the 1970s. Russell T. Davies is a true genius and a messiah to Doctor Who.

The later episodes get better and better, especially part three, where he meets Charles Dickens set against a Victorian gothic story of alien ghosts.

The team of Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper is a magical combination.

The show got ten and a half million and an audience appreciation of 81%.

A new series has been commissioned plus a Christmas Special.

All of which was amazing and wonderful UNTIL he quit the role after only one episode has been aired.

To me this smacks of using the show and the fans to further his career at the show's expense, and destroying the faith all the fans have built up in him.

I admire him tremendously as an actor, but HATE what he's done to us.

And it makes me very very angry indeed.

I had a feeling he was going to jump ship from his early interviews. It just seemed that he wanted to try something new, and this was his opportunity. It's almost like the role was beneath him or something. Oh well, I'm sure there are plenty of talented British actors out there that can take his place.

[quote

I had a feeling he was going to jump ship from his early interviews. It just seemed that he wanted to try something new, and this was his opportunity. It's almost like the role was beneath him or something. Oh well, I'm sure there are plenty of talented British actors out there that can take his place.

i'd love to see...i'm not sure the guy's first name...last name Nihgy or something like that...was in "love actually" and was the baddy in "underworld"

i tihnk he'd be a great older doctor like the Pertwee years.

Ian, have you seen more than one episode?

i'd love to see...i'm not sure the guy's first name...last name Nihgy or something like that...was in "love actually" and was the baddy in "underworld"

i tihnk he'd be a great older doctor like the Pertwee years.

Bill Nighy.

Curiously enough he co-starred in my all time favourite comedy series, "Agony", way back in 1980.