• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Doctor Who Series

252 posts in this topic

In just over three hours, all of America will be able to see it.

So did none of you even watch the first two episodes on the Sci-Fi channel last night ??

Gar!

They did two eps?

i shoulda checked my TV Guide. I thought they were just going to do Rose (i know i want to) which I've already seen.

foreheadslap.gif

So did none of you even watch the first two episodes on the Sci-Fi channel last night ??

Yep, caught the episodes last night on sci-fi.

This was my first exposure to this version of the Doctor.

I barely remember the long curly-haired version from the 70s.

It was okay. Basically what I expected. It certainly had some of the ol' british charm and wit...the lead actor was likeable...the gal was so-so.

The 2nd episode was more interesting than the 1st, which was rather weak...storywise.

I'll watch it again, but probably won't be making a mental note to see it every friday night like I would for Battlestar Galactica.

I watched both episodes and enjoyed them. I also think the series will grow on me more like some other series have. I've been waiting for something to replace Star Trek and Lexx for me and I think this will be it. I haven't been able to get into any of the other sci fi tv series but this one might have the right amount of quirkiness, drama, humour and pathos. Plus anything the british do is always a step up. What clinched it for me was the side story between the doctor and the tree lady and her sacrifice. I like Rose too and as long as they continue to deliver interesting characters who I care about I'll continue to watch.

I watched the first two episodes last night. Thought they were pretty good with some funny moments but generally not up to battlestar galactica standards - at least yet,vbut I recognize it's a different type of show. I like Rose (although she's a bit too moody at times) and the Doctor had his moments but my verdict is still out on him. In sum I've never watched Dr. Who before but I think this series is off to a good start so I put my tivo season pass in place. It comes at a good time with BSG having just ended for the season. I'm looking forward to future episodes. I just hope that I don't need to be versed in Dr. Who lore to fully appreciate the plotline.

I watched the first two episodes last night. Thought they were pretty good with some funny moments but generally not up to battlestar galactica standards

You see, I'm finding it really hard to get my head around this.

I've tried four times to watch BSG and each time, got so bored after four or five episodes that I just gave up.

It's all predictable hero/heroine stuff with a dark edge and no variety.

Doctor Who shines with brilliance. It got over ten times the viewers in England that BSG did. That is no exaggeration.

To each his own, but I can't see it at all personally.

I've never been a big Doctor Who fan. In fact myself and many of my friends used to make fun of the show when we were younger. (Although one of my best friends is a die hard fan)

Anyway,... I have to say the show seems to have improved from the PBS years. I just caught the first episode. The doctors past seems interesting. While its not not the level of Firefly, Star Trek or higher end shows like Battlestar G., I thought it wasn't too bad. As a former hater of the show I'd consider the current show a moderate success. 3 stars out of 5

I watched the first two episodes last night. Thought they were pretty good with some funny moments but generally not up to battlestar galactica standards

I've tried four times to watch BSG and each time, got so bored after four or five episodes that I just gave up.

Doctor Who shines with brilliance. It got over ten times the viewers in England that BSG did. That is no exaggeration.

I can't possibly understand how ANYONE could call BSG predictable.

Did you watch the season 2 ending. Being UNpredictable is by far one of the strong points.

Certainlly one of the more daring shows.

I purchased the Canadian DVD release and have seen the first 5 episodes thus far. I did tune in last night and re-watched the first two stories. "The End of the World" really grows on you after multiple viewings. Next week's episode is pretty good as well.

I love the pace, writing, production, special effects, and the main characters within this new series. The Doctor and Rose are perfectly cast. My only complaint is that the villains aren't given enough screen time. I just wish the episodes were at least 15 minutes longer, so they could give them more in depth character development and mystique. For instance, there seemed to be a bid of diconnect between the blob creature and the rest of the plot in "Rose". I loved the Cassandra character in TEOTW, but again, she only had 4 minutes of screen time. I'm so used to the original series where the Doctor and crew visit a location and are baffled by the surroundings for the first 15 minutes (as the mystery thickens). Plus, we usually received a little more in depth info into the psyche of the main villains, while their plans and ultimate defeat weren't concluded in just 5 minutes. I'm hoping that future episodes would give us a little more suspense and intrigue.

Anyway, that's really my only fault with the show thus far. I really liked the humor and quirkiness as well. It really captures the magic of Doctor Who.

By the way, I checked the SCI-Fi chat boards, and it does seem that most vieweres found the show at least somewhat interesting, if not great. I'm sure the longer they stick with the show, the more they'll love it. Some BSG fans definitely hated it, but you can't please everyone. grin.gif

Ian, when does the second series kick off here on BBC1? I remember we stated last year on the last week of March.

Sorry, I'm not Ian, but reading the Outpost Gallifrey boards, the most talked about date is April 15th (Easter weekend).

Ian,

I disagree with you about BSG, I think it's very imaginative, well executed and not at all run of the mill, but won't comment on Dr. Who any further since I've only seen two episodes. Did you see the BSG miniseries? If not I suggest you give that a try. It gives some context for the series. There are occassional humorous moments in BSG but it's basically a scifi drama. So perhaps that's not up your alley...

I watched the first two episodes last night - I thought it was terrific! I had previously only seen some Tom Baker era episodes on PBS as a child. I immediately went to the BBC web site looking for more information about the show, and was sad to learn that Christopher Eccleston left the show after only one season. However, the buzz online seems to be that David Tennant is very good as the 10th Doctor. I look forward to getting caught up on the episode that have already aired in the UK.

-Jim

Some BSG fans definitely hated it, but you can't please everyone.

I loved Babylon 5 almost as much as I love Doctor Who, so I have nothing in principle against Battlestar.

But Battlestar and also Stargate are exactly the type of sci-fi that leave me cold.

Babylon 5 was genius. And so, even more so, is Doctor Who - sharp, witty, original, and hugely all-encompassing.

I'm with Ian here in regards to BSG and B5 insofar as I could never get caught up in them, I'm not saying that they're bad shows, it's just a personal taste issue. But I need to ask Ian if he ever watched Lexx?

Didn't really like Lexx.

But from what you said here, you misunderstood.

I adore Babylon 5 nearly as much as Doctor Who, and I only wish JMS could get another series of it off the ground.

It's Battlestar Galactica that I find dry and tedious. And I did try, really honestly, I did want to like it.

I'm with Ian here in regards to BSG and B5 insofar as I could never get caught up in them, I'm not saying that they're bad shows, it's just a personal taste issue. But I need to ask Ian if he ever watched Lexx?

Didn't really like Lexx.

But from what you said here, you misunderstood.

I adore Babylon 5 nearly as much as Doctor Who, and I only wish JMS could get another series of it off the ground.

It's Battlestar Galactica that I find dry and tedious. And I did try, really honestly, I did want to like it.

My mistake, but we can agree on the fact that Dr. Who is a great show. I just watched the first two episodes again and I'm hooked.

For those of you that care, and missed it, the last time to watch the first two shows this week:

Thursday March 23th

12:00 AM DOCTOR: WHO ROSE

01:00 AM DOCTOR WHO: THE END OF THE WORLD

I hope I got those times right. makepoint.gif