• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2012 VENOM 1:50 variants with Print Runs - ASM 678 Hulk 4 FF 14 etc

162 posts in this topic

The Marvel incentives are distribution numbers, not print numbers.

The number of copies of the variants printed has nothing to do with how many accounts qualified for the incentive.

Once again: those are distribution numbers, NOT print numbers.

They are NOT the same thing, and never have been.

I understand that this idea keeps cropping up here, and elsewhere, but it's still not accurate, and never has been.

The number of regular copies ordered doesn't have anything to do with the number of copies of the variants printed. The print run number of the variants is a number that Marvel determines in-house, and has not made public (for the most part.)

Again: "1:X" are DISTRIBUTION numbers, NOT PRINT numbers.

I don't understand why you feel the need to belabor your opinion on this point in every single thread that pertains to incentive variants. I doubt there is anyone who wonders what your thoughts are on this subject by now. I'm not even saying you are not technically correct, but come on.

But FYI "print numbers" and "distribution numbers" are not mutually exclusive. If only 500 accounts qualify for an incentive Marvel isn't going to print 2000 copies just for shigs and gittles. Hence why they have an FOC ("Final Order Cut-off") date.

-J.

If only 500 accounts qualify for an incentive Marvel isn't going to print 2000 copies just for shigs and gittles

You DO understand that to print 500 is more expensive to print 2-4k, right?

That may or may not be true.

However I also understand that even indie publishers run micro prints all the time. So there's no reason to believe a larger publisher would find it cost prohibitive to do the same thing.

-J.

You're just an ignorant guy, trolling.

Believe whatever you like.

The number of copies of the variants printed has nothing to do with how many accounts qualified for the incentive.

I understand that this idea keeps cropping up here, and elsewhere, but it's still not accurate, and never has been.

The number of regular copies ordered doesn't have anything to do with the number of copies of the variants printed. The print run number of the variants is a number that Marvel determines in-house, and has not made public (for the most part.)

I don't understand why you feel the need to belabor your opinion on this point in every single thread that pertains to incentive variants. I doubt there is anyone who wonders what your thoughts are on this subject by now. I'm not even saying you are not technically correct, but come on.

I don't understand why you feel the need to complain about what other people post. If I choose to comment on this subject in every single thread it comes up, that is between myself and the Collector's Society, not you, and the same goes for everyone else. Why do you feel the need to influence people about what is, and what is not, acceptable to talk about...?

But FYI "print numbers" and "distribution numbers" are not mutually exclusive. If only 500 accounts qualify for an incentive Marvel isn't going to print 2000 copies just for shigs and gittles. Hence why they have an FOC ("Final Order Cut-off") date.

-J.

This discussion has been made exhaustively, with much documentation and research, in other threads. If you choose to believe that which is not true, that is your choice, but you have contributed nothing but your opinion to these discussions, and haven't done any of the hard work of research to support it.

Until and if you do that, I'm not going to take much stock in your opinion, and I don't know that many else will, either.

-J.

If only 500 accounts qualify for an incentive Marvel isn't going to print 2000 copies just for shigs and gittles

However I also understand that even indie publishers run micro prints all the time. So there's no reason to believe a larger publisher would find it cost prohibitive to do the same thing.

-J.

From what I've read about you, you are a few things yourself.

But we don't need to get into that, do we?

Point being, you're just speculating as is Lonzilla.

Differnce is, you hold out your blatant speculation as "fact" where as others acknowledge they are only speculating and are just trying to have a fun conversation about some books.

So why dont you just go away "Larry". You're the only troll around here.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Differnce is, you hold out your blatant speculation as "fact" where as others acknowledge they are only speculating and are just trying to have a fun conversation about some books.

-J.

I sell comics for a living & have been at it a while.

You don't want to hear something I know quite a bit about.

That's perfectly fine.

I've always found that knowledge makes me a better speculator.

Anyway...

I'm content to simply block the anonymous moniker :"Jaydogrules" & be done with you.

You aren't bringing a damn thing to the table.

Think I'll stick around a bit though...

Chumplestilsken

I understand that you are a long time comic dealer, and that you routinely commission "Phantom Variants". While the whole "it costs the same to run 500 copies as 2000" may apply to you and your special order variants, it absolutely DOES NOT necessarily apply to the direct publishers who can literally do whatever they want as a retailer incentive to spike sales. I don't understand why you (and a few others) constantly feel the need to attempt to undermine the retailer incentive program. You literally do it, based on what ?- that "sometimes" they show up in a five pack or in a "warehouse" somewhere or are handed out at a convention once in awhile ? Sure, sometimes the RI variants may get over printed. But to imply or state (as a fact ) that this is somehow the norm for ALL RI variants is patently absurd.

-J.

I don't understand why you (and a few others) constantly feel the need to attempt to undermine the retailer incentive program.

There's a big difference between "attempting to undermine the retailer incentive program" and posting simple facts that some guy on a message board doesn't know and seemingly can't accept no matter how many people who know more than him attempt to inform him of the reality.

Just for fun, let's look at the lowest sales numbers for the month, for books that had the 1:50 variants offered, which was Journey Into Mystery 633 with 23,869

The 4 previous issues with sales numbers were:

28,054 *

27,701 * (*bi weekly / 2 issues that month)

I would think that the previous few issues low sales numbers would have a bearing on how many (or few) copies of the variant to print.

They don't. Marvel has always printed variants for Marvel's reasons, which, for the most part, hasn't been made public.

Anyway, I did this list for those who would be interested in knowing

It's a great list, and a great discussion, but you can't premise it on the idea that the distribution numbers are tied to the print runs. That's a bad premise, and anything based on it will also be necessarily flawed.

-J.

-J.

-J.

You run a good campaign, I'll give you that. You repeat the idea, over and over, that people who disagree with you are "trolls" and "threadkrapping" and you're just trying to have a "fun conversation" and others keep "ruining that", whether they are or aren't, and eventually, it gets repeated enough that others believe it. And, in many cases, you do it unprovoked, to people who weren't talking to you in the first place.

You're very good at it, Jay.

I understand that you are a long time comic dealer, and that you routinely commission "Phantom Variants". While the whole "it costs the same to run 500 copies as 2000" may apply to you and your special order variants, it absolutely DOES NOT necessarily apply to the direct publishers who can literally do whatever they want as a retailer incentive to spike sales.

And has been said before, what the publishers do to "spike sales" has nothing whatsoever to do with how many copies they print.

I don't understand why you (and a few others) constantly feel the need to attempt to undermine the retailer incentive program. p

No one is undermining anything, although you run a good campaign. Tell a lie long enough, and people believe it, true or not. As others have told you, and continue to tell you, you simply do not know what you're talking about.

That isn't an insult, that isn't one of the "subtle put downs" mentioned elsewhere on this board, it's just a statement of fact. I would be thrilled if it were otherwise, truly.

You literally do it, based on what ?- that "sometimes" they show up in a five pack or in a "warehouse" somewhere or are handed out at a conevention once in awhile ?

This is inaccurate, and has been explained why exhaustively in other discussions about this.

Sure, sometimes the RI variants may get over printed. But to imply or state (as a fact ) that this is somehow the norm for ALL RI variants is patently absurd.

-J.

What does "over printed" mean? If you mean "according to the print run numbers as reported by Diamond", then yes, every single RI variant is "over printed."

You state your opinion, over and over, but are and have been totally unwilling to do the hard work of research and data mining to even attempt to demonstrate why that is "patently absurd."

You just say it's "patently absurd", and expect everyone else to agree with you, simply because it "sounds right" to you.

Lots of know it all's who really believe their opinions are "facts" around here, and seem unable to see past their own pompous ideations. :eyeroll:

People will decide for themselves what they want to believe and what makes sense to them regardless of what anyone writes on these boards.

-J.

A few Jaydogs who really believe their opinions are "facts" around here, and seem unable to see past their own pompous ideations. :eyeroll:

Jaydogs will decide for themselves what they want to believe and what makes sense to them regardless of what anyone writes on these boards.

-J.

Fixed to match reality.

A few Jaydogs who really believe their opinions are "facts" around here, and seem unable to see past their own pompous ideations. :eyeroll:

Jaydogs will decide for themselves what they want to believe and what makes sense to them regardless of what anyone writes on these boards.

-J.

Fixed to match reality.

...according to one of the aforementioned know it all's. lol

And kudos to you and your equally misguided brethren for derailing yet another thread. (thumbs u

-J.

Lots of know it all's who really believe their opinions are "facts" around here, and seem unable to see past their own pompous ideations. :eyeroll:

Everyone believes their opinions are facts. Nobody, except the clinically insane, believe things which they know are false.

Again with the campaigning: "pompous ideations", in this case, means "people who post things with which jaydogrules does not agree."

That is not the criteria by which one is "pompous", but if you repeat these things long enough, people will begin to believe it. It's just a campaign. No one is using this type of inflammatory language except you (and Larry, to an extent.)

Hopefully, people are intelligent enough to see behind that.

People will decide for themselves what they want to believe and what makes sense to them regardless of what anyone writes on these boards.

-J.

That's correct. And people should decide for themselves based on information, data, research, and compelling arguments.

Calling people "know it all's (sic)" and saying people have "pompous ideations" isn't any of that.

So, hopefully people will decide for themselves, based on the facts and, perhaps as importantly, the tone of those making the arguments.

Lots of guys who think their opinions are "facts" around here. :eyeroll:

-J.

Do the hard work of research. It's not easy. Track down the information, and prove those "opinions" wrong.

Otherwise, it's all just opinion.

Emphatically agreed. :headbang:

-J.

You don't do any of that.

You can't say you agree when your actions say otherwise.

:gossip: Some people indeed know when their opinions are just opinions (and do not confuse them as "facts") and are okay with acknowledging that.

Just my opinion of course. ;)

-J.

Let it go, Jay. You've derailed another thread, blamed that derailing on others as you usually do, and it's getting old.

Yeah.

That's what happened. :eyeroll:

Unfortunately it looks like some boardies will never learn that there is nothing wrong with people ESTIMATING print runs of cool, valuable , super rare variants. It is fun and something interesting to speculate on without always having to listen to the same buzzkills spout the same boring talking points (read: "opinions") over and over and over again. doh!

-J.