• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2012 VENOM 1:50 variants with Print Runs - ASM 678 Hulk 4 FF 14 etc

162 posts in this topic

I don't understand the appeal of having venom on an uncanny xforce cover. He had nothing to do with the entire run.

I think the lack of context is what threw a lot of people when all of these first came out. The 678 benefits from being a creepy/sexy homage/swipe as well as being in Venom's home title and part of the ASM run so it hits all the tentpoles and easily explains why it would be chased by far more collectors. But as time goes on, and with all the hype around the 678 and it becoming cost prohibitive even raw to many collectors, it would be inevitable that some of the other cool covers would eventually draft off from it and garner some attention as well.

-J.

I don't understand the appeal of having venom on an uncanny xforce cover. He had nothing to do with the entire run.

Maybe it's just a variant with cool artwork? Some people do want the book though . The $399 OBO on eBay just sold.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&_pgn=1&_nkw=Uncanny+xforce+20+venom&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_sop=16

I like variants. Clayton crains uncanny xforce 1 is my favorite book of my modern collection (got 3 autos on it ;) Just not a fan of variants that come out of left field and have little to nothing to do with the book/story itself. To each his own.

The only real cost to a publisher who is engaging in this is to do a cover swap during the press run which usually involves a onetime setup cost which last time I had a discussion with a printer about this was $500. Then the unit price which is tied to the overall print run so really not that expensive at all.

If a director of production at any publisher printing more than they have to aside from some small overages should not have his job for very long as they are just wasting money.

These days publishers know more precisely how many books were ordered and what number they need to print on any given book and they are just bad business men/women if they grossly overprint anything.

The only real cost to a publisher who is engaging in this is to do a cover swap during the press run which usually involves a onetime setup cost which last time I had a discussion with a printer about this was $500. Then the unit price which is tied to the overall print run so really not that expensive at all.

If a director of production at any publisher printing more than they have to aside from some small overages should not have his job for very long as they are just wasting money.

I'm not sure why this is relevant, as no one said anything about anyone being a maverick and printing anything that wasn't authorized.

These days publishers know more precisely how many books were ordered and what number they need to print on any given book and they are just bad business men/women if they grossly overprint anything.

Compared to what days? Publishers have known more precisely how many books were ordered since the beginning of the Direct market in the early/mid 70's. That's what the Direct market was all about.

And, of course, the publishers grossly overprinted everything in the mid-90's....and not just because they were being grossly overordered. So it's not without precedent, and bad business decisions are made all the time.

I'm not implying that this applies to the variant situation; we should all be wary of making assumptions in any direction.

PS....you said you were going to say hi to me in Baltimore. You did not.

I was working. :baiting:

So was I. :baiting:

and I didnt see you honestly.

Hard to miss. I was at Ketterer's booth before the show opened on Friday to watch the spectacle, and spent a good deal of time at Earl Shaw's booth on Friday AND Sunday, along with being at the CGC booth and running around the show floor all Friday and Sunday getting sigs like a madman.

Terry's show next Sunday?

Not if you keep making revenge posts. :D

We'll see what turns up.

+1

Thank you for pointing this out (as obvious as it may seem).

I am honestly at a loss to figure out why anyone on these boards would suggest that any publisher routinely prints "thousands" of copies of any particular variant with the intention of only "distributing" a few hundred to retailers. As you stated, changing the cover plate of a book at press is neither difficult nor expensive, and is in fact done all the time to create RI variants with these small print runs. There's a My Little Pony comic that the printer made only ONE copy of for crying out loud. lol

While there is certainly a small additional amount of overages on any book's print run, to suggest that any one book in particular has significant quantities of undistributed back stock sitting in a "warehouse" or elsewhere is misleading, speculative, and irresponsible unless there is some direct evidence that exists to support such an assertion.

-J.

I am honestly at a loss to figure out why anyone on these boards would suggest that any publisher routinely prints "thousands" of copies of any particular variant with the intention of only "distributing" a few hundred to retailers. As you stated, changing the cover plate of a book at press is neither difficult nor expensive, and is in fact done all the time to create RI variants with these small print runs. There's a My Little Pony comic that the printer made only ONE copy of for crying out loud. lol

There could be thousands of those My Little Ponies somewhere. We will never know. :roflmao:

+1

Sorry, no facts, just worthless opinion. Why did you create this shill account? (shrug)

Am I doing it right?

There could be thousands of those My Little Ponies somewhere. We will never know. :roflmao:

Yes, because silly hyperbole about a book that was SPECIALLY MADE is the same thing, and applies to all the other books, right...?

" :roflmao: "

+1

Sorry, no facts, just worthless opinion. Why did you create this shill account? (shrug)

Am I doing it right?

If that's how you think then feel free to stop constantly trolling my posts. (thumbs u

-J.

Until they end up in Five Below value packs, we must assume that they haven't been severely overprinted lol

:roflmao:

+1

These guys (or really just the one guy posting under his various accounts) don't (doesn't) even realize how ridiculous what they (he) are (is) saying truly is.

-J.

Until they end up in Five Below value packs, we must assume that they haven't been severely overprinted lol

:roflmao:

+1

These guys (or really just the one guy posting under his various accounts) don't (doesn't) even realize how ridiculous they (he) look(s).

-J.

Yes, Jay, you really don't. And that's unfortunate for you and the rest of us, because I suspect, if you would actually do the time to research and drop the attitude and snide sarcasm, you might actually have something positive to contribute.

+1

Am I doing it right?

If that's how you think then feel free to stop constantly trolling my posts. (thumbs u

-J.

You're campaigning again, Jay.

Will you get yet another thread locked?

The contempt, disregard, and disrespect for scholarly, judicious research in favor of snide, sarcastic, hyperbolic grade school retorts and unsubstantiated accusations is, frankly, disheartening.

Oh well.

"Eff you RMA!! Go find your "lost warehouses" full of rare variants somewhere else!!!!"

Indeed.