• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Heritage and comiclink reps wrt Burkey admission
2 2

420 posts in this topic

Actually, everyone's lots would be affected. If you won a piece from him, for sure.

But the damages caused may be far greater than individual pieces sold.

If you consigned materials to the same auctions, you might have realized lower prices.

Legitimate bidders of your items were knocked out when paying higher shilled prices from Mike's lots so they couldn't afford to place a bid on your lots.

Or those potential bidders saw a Mike lot that was performing below what was expected and decided to pass on your piece hoping to win his lots which then were shilled up.

Here we are on Tuesday, and it looks like no company is going to issue a statement on this because it opens them up to too much liability. The only way to get this fixed is for someone to file complaints with the authorities. And I think many of us aren't sure if our lots were directly affected. So we are hesitating to file those complaints.

The amicable start to a solution would be for HA to email each of us privately and confirm our lots were not from this consignor. (We would have to believe them.) And then those that got the red flag emails would have to decide for themselves whether to file complaints and possibly pursue collective or individual action.

The above step would at least settle down the unaffected buyers enough to inspire confidence in the upcoming auctions.

The alternative is ALL of us file complaints with the authorities while simultaneously emailing HA asking if any of our lots were affected. Maybe we should all pinky-swear to a deadline to do so? Thoughts?

P.S. ComicConnect and ComicLink should also get out in front of this. Email their affected buyers and state they will refuse consignments from this seller until an investigation is resolved.

I'm curious, assuming the auction houses had no knowledge that Mike was using friends to shill, under what theory would they be liable?

Here we are on Tuesday, and it looks like no company is going to issue a statement on this because it opens them up to too much liability. The only way to get this fixed is for someone to file complaints with the authorities. And I think many of us aren't sure if our lots were directly affected. So we are hesitating to file those complaints.

The amicable start to a solution would be for HA to email each of us privately and confirm our lots were not from this consignor. (We would have to believe them.) And then those that got the red flag emails would have to decide for themselves whether to file complaints and possibly pursue collective or individual action.

The above step would at least settle down the unaffected buyers enough to inspire confidence in the upcoming auctions.

The alternative is ALL of us file complaints with the authorities while simultaneously emailing HA asking if any of our lots were affected. Maybe we should all pinky-swear to a deadline to do so? Thoughts?

P.S. ComicConnect and ComicLink should also get out in front of this. Email their affected buyers and state they will refuse consignments from this seller until an investigation is resolved.

well put....UNLESS SOMEBODY HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE...then total silence. I put all three companies on a even level...I don't think they were in on this with Mike, but covering it up...is wrong....given enough pressure, all 3 auction houses will do the right thing and be forthcoming.

I don't think there can be any cover-up at this point. I don't think they can hide anything at this juncture (too many victims). I think after a thorough review from their respective legal departments, they will probably refer this matter to appropriate authorities for review and/or investigation. Authorities in this matter will develop the auction houses as victims, witnesses or subjects. Potential subjects in this matter better get legal counsel now.

well put....UNLESS SOMEBODY HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE...then total silence. I put all three companies on a even level...I don't think they were in on this with Mike, but covering it up...is wrong....given enough pressure, all 3 auction houses will do the right thing and be forthcoming.

I don't think there can be any cover-up at this point. I don't think they can hide anything at this juncture (too many victims). I think after a thorough review from their respective legal departments, they will probably refer this matter to appropriate authorities for review and/or investigation. Authorities in this matter will develop the auction houses as victims, witnesses or subjects. Potential subjects in this matter better get legal counsel now.

Wait, I thought you were the "Let's Not Rock The Boat" guy lol

Funny spoof thread, btw, but so obvious...

Wait, I thought you were the "Let's Not Rock The Boat" guy lol

Funny spoof thread, btw, but so obvious...

That was not my thread. But I realize that it was foolish of me to believe that this scandal could have been contained...I believe it cannot because of the claimed duration is too lengthy (14 yrs) and the assumed frequency too high for authorities to overlook. I cannot imaging how many possible victims exists.

Interesting thoughts. Sounds a little like a Stock answer...but if you're willing to go to the Matt with it, I'll be glad to listen.

Chris I want to retain you as my legal council

I want the most intellectual but morally bankrupt guy on the boards representing me.

or was it intellectually bankrupt AND morally bankrupt?

either way, I think it would be fun to work with you to bring down the big houses and end this corruption

I feel like Erin Brockovich and Elliot Ness all at once!!! I'm getting tingly!

Interesting thoughts. Sounds a little like a Stock answer...but if you're willing to go to the Matt with it, I'll be glad to listen.

lol(thumbs u

I could be wrong but I believe they will act responsibly.

I hope so, I really like all the guys at HA, Clink and CC.

By the way, as a small business owner myself...I know opportunity when I see it. Sometimes it's about making money, other times about improving market share and presence in the community you serve. This is opportunity knocking (ya hear it ComicLink and ComicConnect??)

Get ahead of your competitors and win the adoration of the hobby by leading instead of following. Talk to your lawyers and figure out how much you can disclose, hopefully everything re: Mike and his bidders, and make the statement. Then watch your competitors follow (really shuffle behind you, into the light) and the hobby be a better place immediately (but not for Mike and his proxy-bidding friends.)

Hey boo hoo

So far you have created 104?messages across the threads.

Give it a rest.

We've got your repetitive vindictive spiel.

I feel sorry for you. Whoops. Typo. I feel sorry for us having to read your s . . .

Chris I want to retain you as my legal council

I want the most intellectual but morally bankrupt guy on the boards representing me.

or was it intellectually bankrupt AND morally bankrupt?

either way, I think it would be fun to work with you to bring down the big houses and end this corruption

I feel like Erin Brockovich and Elliot Ness all at once!!! I'm getting tingly!

lol

Yeah, that was a new one on me. I am devastated, really.

It was a lot of things. I can't remember exactly. I may have to wikipedia the answer later. That's where all the smart people get ALL of their knowledge from, dontcha know.

I was heading down to the moral mortgage lender to get back into the black but they confirmed my low moral FICO score. The tragedy!

Random strangers making value judgments destroy my universe.

The harassment keeps coming. I had a guy call my office today asking if my refrigerator was running. I got halfway down the block chasing it before I realized the gag.

To make matters worse a complete stranger on the train platform today asked me if I had any naked pictures of my wife. I told him he had me confused with someone else.

To make matters worse a complete stranger on the train platform today asked me if I had any naked pictures of my wife. I told him he had me confused with someone else.

ah come on :foryou: We're better than that.

I'm curious, assuming the auction houses had no knowledge that Mike was using friends to shill, under what theory would they be liable?

An affected buyer's transaction was with Heritage. If Heritage makes restitution to the buyer, Heritage should then try to recover that loss from Romitaman.

I see people in the other thread saying they are calling Heritage soon. The rest of us should follow suit with calls and emails... by Friday?

An affected buyer's transaction was with Heritage. If Heritage makes restitution to the buyer, Heritage should then try to recover that loss from Romitaman.

I see people in the other thread saying they are calling Heritage soon. The rest of us should follow suit with calls and emails... by Friday?

Who says Heritage is going to make any sort of restitution? And why would they be obligated to?

I did in fact contact Heritage via email Sunday evening ( my particular situation is summarized about 10 pages back) and got a call from the person that handles consignments on Monday. He said they did review my purchase and that the bid beneath me and the winning bid (which ended up being vacated) were from bidders he was familiar with and that he considered legitimate.

For what it's worth, he did say he was familiar with these threads and with the situation and would be reviewing all of the art consigned by Romitaman.

As for what that means...people will have opinions on that. They very well could be doing that. I suppose it's possible that it's just spin and they are hoping this goes away quickly. It would be interesting to hear from other folks that feel they've been affected and what communication they have with Heritage.