• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Heritage and comiclink reps wrt Burkey admission
2 2

420 posts in this topic

After going through 80-some pages, covering 3 threads this weekend, I'm in the camp of this being somewhat overblown. Was Mike wrong, yes. Are things going a little too far, with the torches & pitchforks ?? I certainly think so.

When we get to the point of FBI links, talks of federal investigations, I think things have gained a mob mentality, and a un-necessarily nasty twist.

Not trying to change anyone's opinion. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to try to change mine, but sheesh...

And if anyone doesn't think other dealers have done the same, you have your head buried in the sand.

After going through 80-some pages, covering 3 threads this weekend, I'm in the camp of this being somewhat overblown. Was Mike wrong, yes. Are things going a little too far, with the torches & pitchforks ?? I certainly think so.

When we get to the point of FBI links, talks of federal investigations, I think things have gained a mob mentality, and a un-necessarily nasty twist.

Not trying to change anyone's opinion. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to try to change mine, but sheesh...

And if anyone doesn't think other dealers have done the same, you have your head buried in the sand.

I think people just don't like the double standard that those in 'The Club' get to play by, while collectors are considered peons or canon fodder.

That the regular posters who are usually quick to rush in with their moral judgments and legal opinions about almost every issue remain silent speaks volumes about their hypocrisy and lame character.

It has actually been quite funny as some of these long time posters usually love to espouse their moral superiority and deep legal knowledge.

Sometimes silence is an action.

I think people just don't like the double standard that those in 'The Club' get to play by, while collectors are considered peons or canon fodder.

That the regular posters who are usually quick to rush in with their moral judgments and legal opinions about almost every issue remain silent speaks volumes about their hypocrisy and lame character.

It has actually been quite funny as some of these long time posters usually love to espouse their moral superiority and deep legal knowledge.

Sometimes silence is an action.

Strong views, you're entitled to them, but why do you feel the need to post behind a shielded identity? At least a lot of those 'silent' posters you refer to are identifiable.

With my saying all of that......I do have to also share 1 very negative thing that came from this CGC started thread that upsets me greatly.......

I found out today after I got home from church that my good friend John Romita Sr had left me a phone message.......So I call him up again to wish him a happy birthday........and he tells me that someone called him this morning (Sunday.....on his 86th birthday) to ask him if he approves of ROMITAMAN using his "ROMITA" name on his website since ROMITAMAN is an unethical person....... insinuating that I lie and cheat others.

John refused to give me the phone number as he knew I was more than upset after hearing this.

like I said earlier.....I can put up with people putting me down on the chat boards....whether they have any facts or not......... but I unequivocally do not feel its remotely OK to play games to the point of finding my very dear artist friends personal phone number to call him up to bash me.

Whoever you are you should really be ashamed of yourself...... and that's putting it very mildly!

Since it was posted in both threads, I'll leave my thoughts in both and then I'm done:

I've kept out of this, because by the time I had read it, most of what needed to be said had been, and a great deal of what didn't need to be said, already had as well, but I will say this:

They should be ashamed??! While I agree Mr. Romita shouldn't get random irate phone calls about this issue...Mike, you've been using his name for years for your own benefit (and given your relationship, I would hope his, as well). He had a right to know how your business practices have reflected on his name.

I don't know who did that, but in my opinion, the more shameful thing would be that you didn't discuss this matter with him yourself once you comprehended how dire this situation had become. He shouldn't have been caught off guard by some imposing stranger, he should have heard it from you first.

My two cents. This is a forgiving hobby. I hope you can regain some of the good will you had earned over the years.

Maybe some of the silent posters are Mikes "friends" ?

:facepalm:

Terry,

Is that really outside the realm of possibility ? Somebody shilled Mike's auctions. While it could have been merely an administrative "friend" of mike's, it more likely was a person or people intimately involved in the hobby. While ADMITTEDLY speculative on my part that people on this board that are silent are these "friends" of Mike, it is certainly not outside the realm of possibility by a long shot.

Maybe some of the silent posters are Mikes "friends" ?

:facepalm:

Terry,

Is that really outside the realm of possibility ? Somebody shilled Mike's auctions. While it could have been merely an administrative "friend" of mike's, it more likely was a person or people intimately involved in the hobby. While ADMITTEDLY speculative on my part that people on this board that are silent are these "friends" of Mike, it is certainly not outside the realm of possibility by a long shot.

Anonymous posters have been around a long, long time and act with a false sense of bravado, often exhibiting trollish behaviour.

At this moment in time, Mike Burkey is probably more concerned with damage-limitation and trying to put matters right. I somehow doubt that he would actively want 'friends' to post here on his behalf and pour more petrol on the fire.

Just my opinion, Peter, you're entitled to yours.

.....The Heritage people and I have talked on the phone about this issue also......

Mike Burkey

Well, that means HA is aware of the situation. I wonder what that conversation was like, and what was discussed.

I haven't read many posts for the past day or 2 but I wanted to send this email out before I go to bed tonight....

Firstly...I want to tell everyone who has been reading these threads.....(on the now 3 ongoing online threads about me), that I take full responsibility for my actions.

I know many wont believe this...but I truly didn't realize I was doing anything perceived as illegal... But it will 100% be corrected going forward.

I am definitely not a perfect person and I do make my fair share of mistakes in life.... and I made one here according to so many and I feel terrible about it.

I also want to say that I apologize for this profusely as it made many art collectors i've dealt with throughout the years question my integrity, and this issue will not happen again....

The Heritage people and I have talked on the phone about this issue also.

So again.... I apologize to any and all people who this affected in a negative way, as I do appreciate and value everyone I have ever dealt with in this great hobby of ours......and to the many of you who I have become friends with over the many years.... That means a great deal to me personally as well!

With my saying all of that......I do have to also share 1 very negative thing that came from this CGC started thread that upsets me greatly.......

I found out today after I got home from church that my good friend John Romita Sr had left me a phone message.......So I call him up again to wish him a happy birthday........and he tells me that someone called him this morning (Sunday.....on his 86th birthday) to ask him if he approves of ROMITAMAN using his "ROMITA" name on his website since ROMITAMAN is an unethical person....... insinuating that I lie and cheat others.

John refused to give me the phone number as he knew I was more than upset after hearing this.

like I said earlier.....I can put up with people putting me down on the chat boards....whether they have any facts or not......... but I unequivocally do not feel its remotely OK to play games to the point of finding my very dear artist friends personal phone number to call him up to bash me.

Whoever you are you should really be ashamed of yourself...... and that's putting it very mildly!

....And I'll say again 1 last time.... in case someone has somehow read my initial statement above wrongly.......I'm truly sorry if my actions hurt anyone in any way in this great hobby of ours..... and I'll do my very best to make sure it never happens again.

Mike Burkey

TO MIKE

Thank you for manning up. I believe that everybody deserves a second chance and thank you for taklking to the cgc boards, which by far is fandom's best website. I for have no doubt that in the future you will simply put a reserve on a item you want to sell thru an auction house and not interfere with the bidding process. I would buy or trade from you based upon the above statement.

I know an accounting would be a nightmare for everybody so may I suggest to you to make things right that you consider donating some art to the comic book defense fund which I believe might be tax deductible and you will need to verify.

I think it's a fair and will benfit all fandom and thank you again for coming on board and respecting fellow board members by replying to this Thead.

I wish you all the best in the future.

HA, COMICLINK, CC...

For the buyers that might have possibly paid a higher price and the top bidders whom lost the piece , I would propose the following:

Contact each person and send them a certificate for one buyer fee transaction for free. You will get more traffic, stimulate the market after this incident and create good faith for all collectors, it is the simple and fair thing to do for everybody.

I haven't read many posts for the past day or 2 but I wanted to send this email out before I go to bed tonight....

Firstly...I want to tell everyone who has been reading these threads.....(on the now 3 ongoing online threads about me), that I take full responsibility for my actions.

I know many wont believe this...but I truly didn't realize I was doing anything perceived as illegal... But it will 100% be corrected going forward.

I am definitely not a perfect person and I do make my fair share of mistakes in life.... and I made one here according to so many and I feel terrible about it.

I also want to say that I apologize for this profusely as it made many art collectors i've dealt with throughout the years question my integrity, and this issue will not happen again....

So again.... I apologize to any and all people who this affected in a negative way, as I do appreciate and value everyone I have ever dealt with in this great hobby of ours......and to the many of you who I have become friends with over the many years.... That means a great deal to me personally as well!

....And I'll say again 1 last time.... in case someone has somehow read my initial statement above wrongly.......I'm truly sorry if my actions hurt anyone in any way in this great hobby of ours..... and I'll do my very best to make sure it never happens again.

Mike Burkey

TO MIKE

Thank you for manning up. I believe that everybody deserves a second chance and thank you for taklking to the cgc boards, which by far is fandom's best website. I for have no doubt that in the future you will simply put a reserve on a item you want to sell thru an auction house and not interfere with the bidding process. I would buy or trade from you based upon the above statement.

I know an accounting would be a nightmare for everybody so may I suggest to you to make things right that you consider donating some art to the comic book defense fund which I believe might be tax deductible and you will need to verify.

I think it's a fair and will benfit all fandom and thank you again for coming on board and respecting fellow board members by replying to this Thead.

HA, COMICLINK, CC...

For the buyers that might have possibly paid a higher price and the top bidders whom lost the piece , I would propose the following:

Contact each person and send them a certificate for one buyer fee transaction for free. You will get more traffic, stimulate the market after this incident and create good faith for all collectors, it is the simple and fair thing to do for everybody.

One free transaction fee? They pay for something they were unaware was occurring or does someone else get the bill for that fee you want them to wave? That is how they make their profits.

HA, COMICLINK, CC...

Contact each person and send them a certificate for one buyer fee transaction for free.

As an FYI - ComicLink never has Buyer Transaction Fees, so it's always FREE (meaning no upcharges) to Bid on ComicLink as a Buyer :) - - What you bid is what you pay (plus shipping/insurance for delivery of course) at ComicLink.

That's what I absolutely LOVE about bidding and buying on ComicLink.

HA, COMICLINK, CC...

Contact each person and send them a certificate for one buyer fee transaction for free.

As an FYI - ComicLink never has Buyer Transaction Fees, so it's always FREE (meaning no upcharges) to Bid on ComicLink as a Buyer :) - - What you bid is what you pay (plus shipping/insurance for delivery of course) at ComicLink.

Good point, if you were possibly bid up the solution I see is on a future transaction with a 10% discount... Sorry about being unclear

Edited by Mmehdy

HA, COMICLINK, CC...

Good point, if you were possibly bid up the solution I see is on a future transaction with a 10% discount... Sorry about being unclear

Why not just have Mike give up half of his net worth? :baiting:

Honestly don't pretend to know what full restitution looks like but your solutions seems kind of arbitrary.

HA, COMICLINK, CC...

Why not just have Mike give up half of his net worth? :baiting:

Honestly don't pretend to know what full restitution looks like but your solutions seems kind of arbitrary.

It's a winner for just about everything... I am basing upon the likely hood that reconstruction of all the transactions is just about impossible... Treat all buyers and potential buyers the same, create more auction traffic, and help out comic defense fund... Winner for all

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between the above actions and what Bill Mastro was charged for by the FBI:

https://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-releases/2015/former-owner-of-mastro-auctions-sentenced-to-20-months-in-federal-prison-in-shill-bidding-scam

Manufacturing of fake collectibles seems to be the more serious of the charges, although shilling was part of the conviction

Just thought I'd highlight those 2 points.

I've always love the standard "if" to disclaim actual accountability and acknowledgment of improper behavior. It's equivalent to the classic I'm sorry if I offended anyone as opposed to apologizing for the underlying behavior or words because they were wrong.

As to doing your best to make sure it never happens again; this is something that you did. You either decide not to do it again or you don't. The sentence reeks of deflecting accountability.

This whole thing is just sad.

Mike Burkey

TO MIKE

HA, COMICLINK, CC...

One free transaction fee? They pay for something they were unaware was occurring or does someone else get the bill for that fee you want them to wave? That is how they make their profits.

I would like to here from CC,CL...and HA... I know you are reading this... And Mike also...