• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Comics Rebirth

223 posts in this topic

Yet another reboot..?

Apparently that is all DC does now is reboot things. What are they going to call this one? The new new 52 has no ring to it.

Its not just DC but Marvel does this as well (usually more frequently). I figured sooner or later DC would try to keep up with the other competition. Who knows if its relaunch or a actual reboot.

So DC is just copying Marvel.....

Both will learn in the near future what their actions do to the readers.

90's all over again.

I don't mind the reboot. It happens and I'll continue reading Batman as I plan to always do because I enjoy the character.

I do however hope that they shock the industry and follow suit with Image rather than Marvel and cut out the majority of variants. Although I imagine it may hurt sales on launch, I feel it just may be what's needed right now for the long haul and increased readership. Just my opinion.

90's all over again.

I don't mind the reboot. It happens and I'll continue reading Batman as I plan to always do because I enjoy the character.

I do however hope that they shock the industry and follow suit with Image rather than Marvel and cut out the majority of variants. Although I imagine it may hurt sales on launch, I feel it just may be what's needed right now for the long haul and increased readership. Just my opinion.

increased readership

What do variants have to do with readership?

Answer: Nothing at all...

Variants are aimed at the collector.

Readership is built with quality content...

90's all over again.

increased readership

I'll humor you with a response even though it baffles me why you are even allowed on the boards or have any interest in coming on here as all you do is spread negativity.

How many people do you think walk away from the hobby because they gave a crack at flipping or investing in variants and shortly discovered it was a horrible decision? Yes, even collectors.

I know quite few who walked away and never returned in the 90's and recently. Sure they could have just read what they enjoyed but apparently the sour taste was too great for them to stay.

Variants can be created for the collector but they also are used to boost sales and line pockets. They are not needed, collectors will continue to collect in most cases if they were no longer made.

I'm well aware that quality builds readership. If you don't see the current variant status as a issue I'll just agree to disagree because I see it as a large problem for the future.

90's all over again.

increased readership

I'll humor you with a response even though it baffles me why you are even allowed on the boards or have any interest in coming on here as all you do is spread negativity.

How many people do you think walk away from the hobby because they gave a crack at flipping or investing in variants and shortly discovered it was a horrible decision? Yes, even collectors.

I know quite few who walked away and never returned in the 90's and recently. Sure they could have just read what they enjoyed but apparently the sour taste was too great for them to stay.

Variants can be created for the collector but they also are used to boost sales and line pockets. They are not needed, collectors will continue to collect in most cases if they were no longer made.

I'm well aware that quality builds readership. If you don't see the current variant status as a issue I'll just agree to disagree because I see it as a large problem for the future.

Indeed. Almost seemingly for the sole purpose of doing so, even to the point of blatant hypocrisy.

In one thread he lectures that "all" 1:X variants are printed in batches of "at least" 2000, regardless of how many retailers actually qualify for the incentive or even order them by the final order cut off, and are piled from floor to ceiling in various warehouses located throughout the land.....

And yet....

When he was hawking his (multiple) copies of the 1:5000 Vader Down 1 sketch on ebay, he was happily and eagerly proclaiming that there were "only" 15-20 copies of that book printed, as he also boasted how much money he had to spend on the regular covers to qualify for the incentive.

FYI, there are already 16 copies of that book (with a 1/16 cover date) on the census.

What a peach. :eyeroll:

-J.

There is no winning around here.

Everyone wants "their" version of a particular character and unfortunately when you have characters that are 20, 30, 40, 50, +60 years old - there has to be change.

New writers, new audiences, social climate changes, popular culture changes - everything changes. Net, comic characters have to change. Don't forget that until the last 10-15 years popular culture did not embrace adults reading comics. Once the Marvel movie industry boomed, wide/broad acceptance of adult comic readers spread like wildfire and changed the game on us. Where we were few, now we are legion. That, if nothing else, changes things.

Does that mean that new #1s have to happen...no, but it seems to be working consistently for Marvel (and more recently for Valiant). :shrug:

Please, resume complaining.

:hi:

Everyone wants "their" version of a particular character and unfortunately when you have characters that are 20, 30, 40, 50, +60 years old - there has to be change.

New writers, new audiences, social climate changes, popular culture changes - everything changes. Net, comic characters have to change. Don't forget that until the last 10-15 years popular culture did not embrace adults reading comics. Once the Marvel movie industry boomed, wide/broad acceptance of adult comic readers spread like wildfire and changed the game on us. Where we were few, now we are legion. That, if nothing else, changes things.

Does that mean that new #1s have to happen...no, but it seems to be working consistently for Marvel (and more recently for Valiant). :shrug:

Coming up with quality stories is one thing but completely watering down unique characters is quite the opposite.

Over at Marvel it seems nothing makes characters unique anymore when there are multiple reiterations that copy off the original and exist in the same place. Soon when someone says Captain or Hulk or Wolverine anywhere from 2-5 characters will turn their heads assuming you are talking to them. Its really watering down the brands yet the companies can't see past there short term #1 sales goals at the moment.

Coming up with quality stories is one thing but completely watering down unique characters is quite the opposite.

Over at Marvel it seems nothing makes characters unique anymore when there are multiple reiterations that copy off the original and exist in the same place. Soon when someone says Captain or Hulk or Wolverine anywhere from 2-5 characters will turn their heads assuming you are talking to them. Its really watering down the brands yet the companies can't see past there short term #1 sales goals at the moment.

:shrug:

You have an opinion and it comes from a place of frustration on what they are doing with the characters. "Watering-them down" may be how you characterize it, but to someone else it is new, fresh or in lockstep with popular culture.

Multiple characters have been played by multiple people for decades, there is nothing new about it. Maybe you don't like the new iterations - which is fine just as someone else really likes them. However, there isn't anything earth shattering going on here - the vast majority has been done before (even if in slightly different form).

However, let's be clear here: the companies that own these properties know more about sales than you do and more importantly, to large public corporations short-term sales are everything. There isn't a methodology that rewards long-term plays with media in the modern form of capitalism driven by the stock market. Popular culture changes too fast and they are tied too strongly to their share-holder returns for anything other than short-term sales to matter.

It is what it is.

90's all over again.

increased readership

*shrug*

Yes. Variants can discourage collectors.

These boards are ground zero for why the exist though, you're all chasing a buck.

This week Captain Marvel Hughes & Poison Ivy 1:25 dominated discussion.

No. Variants have NOTHING to do with readership.

I think you meant customer base.