• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Comics Rebirth

223 posts in this topic

DC is not solely responsible for comic books. There are A LOT of other properties that fall under that hat, unlike Image.

You're right. But what we're talking about here is increasing the COMIC BOOK sales.

Sheesh. If I was the owner of DC Comics, and this was the responses you gave me for these failures, I would've already thrown you out the window.

No worries, some of understand the corporate structure more than some that are a sole proprietor and have never dealt with the likes before.

Oh, I understand the 'corporate structure' perfectly well. I ran the bids and contracts department for the #2 (at the time) Plastic manufacturer in the WORLD (next to Rubbermaid), and reported directly to the President of the company. I dealt with everyone down to our smallest client to our largest client, my two secretaries (one for bids and one for contracts), the customer service department, the customer service managers, the finance people, the finance manager, the number crunchers, the R&D people (rip off and duplicate), the warehouse people, the shipping manager, the sales reps, our South American sales rep (oh the stories), our Canadian sales rep, our overseas sales reps, the sales rep managers, the vice president on up to the President, who I had coffee with every Tuesday morning because he liked to hear my thoughts on everything from the St. Louis Baseball Cardinals to spirituality to... corporate structure.

I understood exactly how and why it DID work, and how and why it DIDN'T work.

And one of the ways it NEVER works, is when people give up and say, "You just don't understand how it works!"

Some people fix problems. Some people don't.

Last year was a down year for DC, which kind of started around the second part of Convergence, who's numbers went down with every issue.

And January was the worst month they've had in.... I don't remember them having a month this bad.

So Convergence was the big drop off point? Well that event was complete dreck across the board. I am not saying Secrete Wars was a masterpiece, but at least it was readable. So you do a reboot with N52 (with very mixed results), followed by opening up the chance for yet another reboot with Convergence, followed by announcing a "rebirth" which tanks your numbers the month after the announcement.

So that basically summarizes how DC screwed up at least over the past 4 years.

DC (and Marvel as well) made me sick a long time ago with all of their restarts, reboots, do-overs, and multiple world-ending crises. The New 52 was like a long vomit splatter. I'm sure Rebirth will revolutionize the comic world...

Although I do miss Batman, dropping DC (and Marvel) years ago feels like I cured myself of a fatal disease.

DC (and Marvel as well) made me sick a long time ago with all of their restarts, reboots, do-overs, and multiple world-ending crises. The New 52 was like a long vomit splatter. I'm sure Rebirth will revolutionize the comic world...

Although I do miss Batman, dropping DC (and Marvel) years ago feels like I cured myself of a fatal disease.

Of course - every can have their own opinion, not trying to criticize. But, I am genuinely curious on the above statement (and similar ones expressed): why? Why should writing a world ending story or deciding to clean the slate from some things and start fresh elicit such strong emotions?

Seems to me that it's helpful to really stir the pot and open up some new possibilities through a reboot or universe ending epic story from time to time. It's not like the retcon is a child of the modern age. Why does it matter if the book has a #1 vs a #798 on it?

Having bad stories, poor art, or just bad writing is a different thing and I'm totally on board with some criticism when the big 2 need to up their game rather than falling on gimmicks to sell books. But, with all the criticism of the New52, people have been begging for DC to move on - and now that they are, they just get another hate wad thrown at them before they can even start! If they are refocusing the way they're saying, shouldn't we enjoy that and be interested in the possibility?

Why the "auto-hate" when we don't even know the direction? Rebirth seems as close to a "sorry about the New52, we want to be better" as any company would be likely to give. But, people were upset from the moment it was announced.

Feels like the default "hater" attitude takes away some of the child like fun of comic books - which is what brought most of us here in the first place.

Of course - every can have their own opinion, not trying to criticize. But, I am genuinely curious on the above statement (and similar ones expressed): why? Why should writing a world ending story or deciding to clean the slate from some things and start fresh elicit such strong emotions?

Seems to me that it's helpful to really stir the pot and open up some new possibilities through a reboot or universe ending epic story from time to time. It's not like the retcon is a child of the modern age. Why does it matter if the book has a #1 vs a #798 on it?

Having bad stories, poor art, or just bad writing is a different thing and I'm totally on board with some criticism when the big 2 need to up their game rather than falling on gimmicks to sell books. But, with all the criticism of the New52, people have been begging for DC to move on - and now that they are, they just get another hate wad thrown at them before they can even start! If they are refocusing the way they're saying, shouldn't we enjoy that and be interested in the possibility?

Why the "auto-hate" when we don't even know the direction? Rebirth seems as close to a "sorry about the New52, we want to be better" as any company would be likely to give. But, people were upset from the moment it was announced.

Feels like the default "hater" attitude takes away some of the child like fun of comic books - which is what brought most of us here in the first place.

Maybe if the "intent" or purpose of "fixing or simplifying the worlds" ever really happened. All that stuff is just buzz words and a lame excuse to reboot with a new #1. It would be refreshing if the big 2 would just tell the truth, something like this.

Yes we could continue with a different story arc without renumbering but we don't want to because we like the new #1 sales.

Maybe if the "intent" or purpose of "fixing or simplifying the worlds" ever really happened. All that stuff is just buzz words and a lame excuse to reboot with a new #1. It would be refreshing if the big 2 would just tell the truth, something like this.

Yes we could continue with a different story arc without renumbering but we don't want to because we like the new #1 sales.

I have nothing against shaking things up, or rebooting per say. What I do have an issue with is the overuse of 1st issues as a way to boost sales. Yes they number 1 does very briefly do that, but sustained growth requires great stories and art, no gimmicks. You can restart things without the need to put out a #1 ever time. It is also very few books where I think legacy numbering matters: Action Comics, Superman, Batman, Detective, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, and X-Men. Those titles really have special status in the comic world and the numbering means something. What I do have a problem with (looking at Marvel here more than DC), is starting a title getting to issue 10 or so then going back to number one, with no justification.

You can call my opinion "auto hate" or whatever you want, but I'm just stating the reason I dumped DC in the first place. I was sick of the constant crises and do-overs. It's just tiresome and lame to me regardless of what they're calling their latest do-over.

However, if you like this sort of stuff or you think it will be better than it was before, that's great. I really hope it will be for your sake. My opinion is still the same, but it's just an opinion. Everyone has one.

You can call my opinion "auto hate" or whatever you want, but I'm just stating the reason I dumped DC in the first place. I was sick of the constant crises and do-overs. It's just tiresome and lame to me regardless of what they're calling their latest do-over.

However, if you like this sort of stuff or you think it will be better than it was before, that's great. I really hope it will be for your sake. My opinion is still the same, but it's just an opinion. Everyone has one.

Yeah, wasn't trying to criticize - just understand (and despite the quote, wasn't singling you out, just opening a discussion on a shared sentiment which you had recently expressed).

Seems like we get to hear less exclamation of positive things these days and a lot more complaining, grumbling, and general criticism. That can be merited, of course, but if we can foster positive fandom here, I think that's a good thing and wanted to open a conversation that might foster some of that.

Anyone here actually at the ComicPRO panel? I heard the response was less than stellar, with some hard hitting questions.

Why not keep the numbering, but do a series of Geoff Johns' style Rebirth mini series? The continuity is already wacked out. Also how much power does Geoff have over Lee/DiDio, because based on this video seems like a lot.