• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman #1 CGC 6.5 on eBay @ no reserve

24 posts in this topic

Not sure what's ballsy about auctioning a hot key like this that sells itself. (shrug) What I think is remarkable is that this book got a 6.5 despite the relatively long color-breaking crease on the fc. Not the greatest scan, but presumably the rest of the book looks 8.5-ish or better. I've never seen a 6.0 or higher with a color-breaking crease of that length.

Not sure what's ballsy about auctioning a hot key like this that sells itself. (shrug) What I think is remarkable is that this book got a 6.5 despite the relatively long color-breaking crease on the fc. Not the greatest scan, but presumably the rest of the book looks 8.5-ish or better. I've never seen a 6.0 or higher with a color-breaking crease of that length.

Same here. But heck overall, the books looks great if it weren't for that long crease. I guess I can accept the grade CGC gave the book because of that major defect.

Same here. But heck overall, the books looks great if it weren't for that long crease. I guess I can accept the grade CGC gave the book because of that major defect.

There was a time when a crease like that would have been 5.5 tops. If you notice, the crease goes through the whole book, you can see it on the back. Just graded in September of 2015. Where's all those that say CGC is grading tight, not in the mid grades.

How is it a ballsy move to auction a book 2 months before the release of the movie? That's basically peak time.

The Civil War movie comes out on May 16 in North America. And I think next weekend is a better time to end than Superbowl weekend!

Do people think that January is a bad time to list an auction? Why?

How is it a ballsy move to auction a book 2 months before the release of the movie? That's basically peak time.

January is historically just about the worst month of the year to sell comics.

True. For routine books and even minor keys. Lots of people are tapped out in January having given the Christmas season. But there is no good time to go shopping for major keys. Just watch. The book will not go way cheap. I've been shopping auctions on eBay for more minor but sale'able first issues and first appearances. I've yet to see a big book go cheap - though I'm sure there are a few somewhere. Now is a good time to pick up high grade copies of Red Sonja 1 or Black Panther 1. But ASM 1 isn't going to fall way below the GPA range. Too many people have the money to take advantage of any real bargain should it emerge.

January is historically just about the worst month of the year to sell comics.

True. For routine books and even minor keys. Lots of people are tapped out in January having given the Christmas season. But there is no good time to go shopping for major keys. Just watch. The book will not go way cheap. I've been shopping auctions on eBay for more minor but sale'able first issues and first appearances. I've yet to see a big book go cheap - though I'm sure there are a few somewhere. Now is a good time to pick up high grade copies of Red Sonja 1 or Black Panther 1. But ASM 1 isn't going to fall way below the GPA range. Too many people have the money to take advantage of any real bargain should it emerge.

Exactly. I would think that the majority of potential buyers for this book aren't really worried about the 10k or so it's going to cost.

I personally purchase tons of comics in December & January. I think the major keys really do not discount... The minor keys do get a small discount. The discount you do receive from Minor keys and some keys (Excluding AF15 or Hulk 1) is pretty minor... (But if you want to save that $50-100 go for it).