• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comics did Edgar miss on the newsstand???

20 posts in this topic

Cat's beautiful Church Catman that he posted recently got me to thinking...

I know that on the coded ones, there is a distributor mark and an arrival date next to it. Usually, to the right is usually a single number. I believe that is the number of copies the newsstand received from the distributor. Cat's Catman has a number 4. I always like to look at this number. In many cases, the number is 3 or less. Not many...

Obviously, his newsstand got most of the comics published during the time he purchased. Thus the incredible size and completeness of his collection. I believe he probably had an agreement with them to put aside one of each book that came out each week like Lamont Larson.

I know that there are some holes in his collection. I doubt he missed them but maybe the newsstand never got copies. Were these low print? Poor distribution? Why are some issues missing?

I have heard there was no Suspense #3 as well as Exciting #28. (You can correct me if I am wrong). My question is what other obvious issues were missing from the original collection?

Church missed quite a few early issues from the newsstand, but he had a source for second-hand copies. While the second-hand copies usually show some minor wear, after his acquisition they still were stored in the same conditions as his newsstand copies so they still "pop" and generally have great pages.

Also, there are stories of a few issues from the hoard being doled out before the master list was made. All-American 20, for example, is missing (last I heard).

This post is actually reminding me to ask you a question about the group of Church books you bought from Chuck at that Con in the 70's. The reason I ask is because the master list that most folks go by was derived from Chucks giant CBG insert and is actually short of complete by 4000 to 8000 books (depending on who's figures you go by as to the original total.) .... were the books you picked up on the "Master List" ? Many of Edgar's books were scattered to the winds almost immediately to pay off the loan. I recently owned one of those books, a Stuntman 1 that was CGC 9.4 with the pedigree notation on the label. It was originally one of the books that Burrell Rowe snagged and Rich Evans even filled in some cool anecdotes about the book and it's time in the glass display case at Camelot. It is also a Church book that is on none of the known original lists. As much as we would like to think that these books are shielded by some mystic power, there are going to be some that were part of the collection that no longer exist for one reason or another.... therefore, the answer to your original question will be, unfortunately, elusive at best. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't think any of my Church books I bought that day are on the master list. I have some that are but they were bought later.

Does anyone out there have any Church books with a single copy (1) on them?

I think rob_react is trying to compile a new master list of Church books. I'm not sure whether you have interacted with him about the books you picked up that day.

I don't think Edgar purchased many (if any) St John romance books off the stand. I believe most (all?) the copies of those books in his collection were purchased second-hand -- and I think the collection was missing many of them. There's only one high-grade Church Baker St John book that I can think of -- an issue of Authentic Police Cases that sat on Metro's site for a long time.

I wasn't buying St. John romance that day so I can't say for sure. Seems to reason that he might not have gotten any. He was a guy and not many guys bought romance titles off the stands.

No, I haven't had any contact with rob_react. Part of the problem is I never kept track of the Churches I bought that day. I also sold or traded off a lot of them over the years. I was primarily buying horror and censorship books that day. I can remember many but a lot of them I can't remember for sure were Churches.

I wasn't buying St. John romance that day so I can't say for sure. Seems to reason that he might not have gotten any. He was a guy and not many guys bought romance titles off the stands.

No, I haven't had any contact with rob_react. Part of the problem is I never kept track of the Churches I bought that day. I also sold or traded off a lot of them over the years. I was primarily buying horror and censorship books that day. I can remember many but a lot of them I can't remember for sure were Churches.

I think it was more a case that St John books were poorly distributed. I think he would have bought them if he could have, given that he did accumulate some second hand.

I don't think any of my Church books I bought that day are on the master list. I have some that are but they were bought later.

I think rob_react is trying to compile a new master list of Church books. I'm not sure whether you have interacted with him about the books you picked up that day.

I am! I'm actually close to being done with the first integrated list. It only took a year of sporadic work (and some money spent at Task Rabbit)

https://github.com/roblarsen/Edgar-Church-Collection-Data/blob/master/merged-data.csv

I am! I'm actually close to being done with the first integrated list. It only took a year of sporadic work (and some money spent at Task Rabbit)

https://github.com/roblarsen/Edgar-Church-Collection-Data/blob/master/merged-data.csv

Out of curiosity, how dated are the prices that are listed?

Out of curiosity, how dated are the prices that are listed?

They're as dated as can be- they're the original catalog price.

Edgar's copy of New York World's Fair 1939 was bought second-hand.

I guess it wasn't worth a trip to New York to buy a 25cent comic in person. lol

pre-Superman #1 from 1939... white pages. :cloud9:

Wasn't that sold on the news stand as well?

Really? :o

That would be surprising.