• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To post or not to post on CAF

116 posts in this topic

I've mentioned it several times in other threads, but I had to initially be talked into posting my art on CAF by a friend. I was even a member of CAF for 2 or 3 years before I posted anything of my own. I don't have everything on CAF.

Some of the pieces, I've held off of posting because there are certain hardcore collectors of certain pieces that started bugging the bejeesus out of me when they got a whiff that I had some work they wanted, and it'd only get worse if I posted it.

But other than that, the other good stuff I've held off of posting, has been because the artist asked I not let anyone know I have it. Surely i'm not the only one to have several of these. Pieces that artists have chosen not to sell at certain points, or told people they wouldn't be for sale, or would hurt someone else's feelings if they found out it was sold, or just prefer to sell to certain collectors? So out of discretion, I continue to happily keep those pieces to myself.

Those materials aside, I love what the exposure on CAF has bought me. 2 major things in fact. 1.) Some really wonderful friendships have developed via the community of sharing work of mutual interest. Even some of my best friends came via this art hobby of ours.

2.) Fantastic opportunities present themselves all the time. Some I've acted on, and some I regret passing on, but many generated by people seeing what work I am passionate about, and offering similar work to me directly, without the need for me to hunt it down. Some of it has led to some favorite pieces. Things I'd have never had a shot at, had I not been a participant of CAF. Not just in what I show, but in what i look at, and leave comments on. It's all very valuable.

I don't mind the "is it for sale" requests. It might take me a while to respond, but I usually do, and it's usually not for sale. CAF has revived the hobby for me -- I love sharing my collection and seeing others'.

I get the "fresh to market" idea, but pieces that I've had in my possession for 30 years are not on "the market" anyway, so if or when they ever do go up for sale, they will be "fresh."

I agree with Roger on this. I don't think a piece gets burned by simply being seen. Shopped a lot or sold a lot, sure. But not seen

I once had Keif Fromm (a mutually disliked name between myself and Mitch Itkowitz . . . and probably others) approach me over wanting to buy my Ditko Captain Atom 80 cover. Told him (at the time) it wasn't for sale, but his e-mail enquiry was still attached to the thumbnail on my CAF. Some years later, I was toying with the idea of releasing it, so I reminded Keif of his enquiry and told him I might now consider selling it. Response I received went into a long spiel of why I shouldn't expect too high an offer on the cover . . . at which point I told Keiff to forget it.

So, yeah, you'll also get the low-ball offers, but you quickly learn to develop a thick-skin.

Man, but ask KF for a price on something from his collection and you get a number resembling the national debt.

I know. Doc Joe had his own KF story along those lines.

Actually I have done numerous deals with Keif . . .

You had me worried there, for about a second or two, then . . .

lol

I've mentioned it several times in other threads, but I had to initially be talked into posting my art on CAF by a friend. I was even a member of CAF for 2 or 3 years before I posted anything of my own. I don't have everything on CAF.

Some of the pieces, I've held off of posting because there are certain hardcore collectors of certain pieces that started bugging the bejeesus out of me when they got a whiff that I had some work they wanted, and it'd only get worse if I posted it.

But other than that, the other good stuff I've held off of posting, has been because the artist asked I not let anyone know I have it. Surely i'm not the only one to have several of these. Pieces that artists have chosen not to sell at certain points, or told people they wouldn't be for sale, or would hurt someone else's feelings if they found out it was sold, or just prefer to sell to certain collectors? So out of discretion, I continue to happily keep those pieces to myself.

Those materials aside, I love what the exposure on CAF has bought me. 2 major things in fact. 1.) Some really wonderful friendships have developed via the community of sharing work of mutual interest. Even some of my best friends came via this art hobby of ours.

2.) Fantastic opportunities present themselves all the time. Some I've acted on, and some I regret passing on, but many generated by people seeing what work I am passionate about, and offering similar work to me directly, without the need for me to hunt it down. Some of it has led to some favorite pieces. Things I'd have never had a shot at, had I not been a participant of CAF. Not just in what I show, but in what i look at, and leave comments on. It's all very valuable.

Good, valid reasons, Eric, so in your case I can appreciate the reluctance to show such pieces.

Regarding your second point, some years back I had a collector contact me - offering a cover painting I'd wanted for a long, long time - as a direct result of seeing me post another cover from the same series in my CAF.

Many people know me and what I collect. I have been offered many pieces that fit my collection, some have come thru the CAF after seeing my collection. In fact I have one on the way which I recently did a deal on, the collector contacted me out of the blue. Besides the networking that the CAF can provide they also have alot of great features for the Premium Members from tracking other owners galleries to daily emails generated from an individuals want list. I highly recommend signing up for CAF Premium Membership and Market Data. It pasy for itself, I have gotten a number of great pieces using those features.

Love CAF. For buying, selling, sharing, communing.

In terms of posting, I do not post until the art is in-hand, which typically takes a while as I frame all my pieces. Excited to post some huge updates over the next couple months, as I always appreciate the friendly comments and interactions.

Personally, I think art is to be shared, and always wonder about the hidden gems out there I'm not seeing. A bit sad.

I can understand why some not share their collections publicly. Since the CAF started their a number of big long time collectors who have starting putting a small part of their collection on CAF. Prior to CAF only had the Lowry which limited to 5 items.

I once had Keif Fromm (a mutually disliked name between myself and Mitch Itkowitz . . . and probably others) approach me over wanting to buy my Ditko Captain Atom 80 cover. Told him (at the time) it wasn't for sale, but his e-mail enquiry was still attached to the thumbnail on my CAF. Some years later, I was toying with the idea of releasing it, so I reminded Keif of his enquiry and told him I might now consider selling it. Response I received went into a long spiel of why I shouldn't expect too high an offer on the cover . . . at which point I told Keiff to forget it.

So, yeah, you'll also get the low-ball offers, but you quickly learn to develop a thick-skin.

Man, but ask KF for a price on something from his collection and you get a number resembling the national debt.

I know. Doc Joe had his own KF story along those lines.

Actually I have done numerous deals with Keif . . .

You had me worried there, for about a second or two, then . . .

lol

Didnt he have a CAF page at one point recently? I seem to remember him owning the cover to Flash 135

ALL CAPS.

With your name in the email used 47 times as a macro, with the remains of one non-printing character stuck to the first letter.

He emailed me once to say he was getting out of the hobby, I still have the price list he sent me of the things I told him I might be interested in......

1) “Frankenstein #5” page 4 artwork by Briefer (from the 2nd story entitled: "How I Had (and Lost) a Pet Dinosaur") (CRESTWOOD PUBLICATIONS) (NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 1946) -- $7,500 USD

2) “PAUL GUSTAVSON's THE HUMAN BOMB” World War 2 Battle Page from Police Comics #4 page 62 (QUALITY COMICS) (NOVEMBER 1941) -- $15K USD

3) “Powerhouse Pepper” page 1 splash page art by Basil Wolverton (TIMELY COMICS/HUMORAMA) (CIRCA 1945 to 1948) -- $50K USD

CAF is great for sharing sketches and commissions as well as anything unpublished.

I truly think that's the best utilization of the forum.

As for published art, it's nice to see the originals, but I do know there's a lot of those "black hole collectors" who view it as "I have not a lot to gain, and a whole lot to lose" by showcasing their possessions. Many fear theft. Some fear fraud ('tho many watermark their pieces to avoid image theft).

If you're in the business of selling, in a way I can see it both ways, some may like to entertain offers, others may feel they're being bothered and hate lowballers and answering annoying persistent collectors where "no means no" falls to deaf ears. On the other hand, there's something compelling about having a piece, and eventually bringing it out and the excitement of that "fresh to market" appeal.

Well, yes, there are those with no will-power! ;)

You have to know your weaknesses!

Alcohol . . .

Did someone say Alcohol ? If Alcohol is your weakness, maybe we should talk hm

(Picture of 279m bottles of blended rum (~1/2 aged in used rye bourbon barrels and ~1/2 in new American oak with a #4 char).

34015918-AE0C-4F1D-9ED2-A91552770633_1.jpg

I would think art selling publicly 5 or 6 times in a row would affect a pieces value more than art posted on CAF NFS.

I think 'Fresh To Market' might not be as correct a term as it could be.

So some collectors, it isn't 'freshness' they're concerned about, it's keeping it from the public's eye which is vital to them. Secrecy is a commodity to Black Hole Collectors, worth paying a premium.

I dearly wish this has been my experience, but, aside from a very few notable gratifying exceptions, I've encountered a wall of silence regarding the select few titles I follow.

Well, yes, there are those with no will-power! ;)

You have to know your weaknesses!

Alcohol . . .

Did someone say Alcohol ? If Alcohol is your weakness, maybe we should talk hm

(Picture of 279m bottles of blended rum (~1/2 aged in used rye bourbon barrels and ~1/2 in new American oak with a #4 char).

34015918-AE0C-4F1D-9ED2-A91552770633_1.jpg

That's an impressive collection (fresh to market?), thanks for sharing! :grin:

I remember attending a London-based Dr Who convention with a bunch of friends back in the 1980s. One of the guys I was with had hired a dealer's table to sell our fanzine. At dinner-time, during the break in-between events, we all converged at the table to hang-out and enjoy some liquid refreshment (there was a bar conveniently situated in the corner of the room). Within no time at all, our dealer's table was choc full of empty beer bottles and glasses. The (then) current Doctor, Colin Baker, was walking round the room and stopped at our table. He smiled and asked if he could order a drink from us . . .

In the beginning of this thread I saw some comments on low-ball offers. Happens to all of us. Makes me smile in general to know it's the same for all.

Just last summer in the span of 2 hours I had 2 unsolicited offers for the same piece. One was so low ball I literally laughed out loud and the other high enough that it caused me to pause if not gasp for a second or 2. The amount of difference/spread between the 2offers was 14K. Since then I noticed the guy with the low ball offer sold off his collection and my guess is has exited the hobby. As for the piece I don't ever envision selling it, but never say never - I believe everyone does have a price.

back to "post of not to post on CAF":

I display about 60% of my collection on CAF. While I do have about 80% of my covers and splashes up there I do not see the need to post every run of the mill panel pages I have unless part of larger theme.

Post on CAF and trade "value":

I have noticed over the years that when trading with dealers the first thing they ask or look up is if the page had been on CAF or not. Seems to me pieces that have never been on CAF or major auctions sites are given a premium of varying degrees. Or at least that is my spin based on experience.

Unsolicited offers don't bother me at all. Especially since I will occasionally inquire about NFS pieces myself. lol.

When I first started collecting, I made an embarrassing low offer to Will at comicartpage. I was a newbie and didn't know any better. He was polite and helped me understand values. You have to remember, this was a while back. Way before we had Alex Johnson's values post...

So, even if someone lowballs me, I will still answer them and try to be as civil as Will was.

The only bad experience I had wasn't even all that bad. Some guy made me an offer on a Walking Dead page. It was probably 1.5 times what it was worth and I accepted. He then proceeded to tell me that he wasn't going to buy it because the price was too high. I didn't even reapond. He still occasionally reaches out to me on CAF and he is the only person I won't respond to now.

But the benefits of CAF far outweigh the negatives. I have made a handful of acquisitions over the years on NFS pieces and most of them are the ones I cherish the most. Last year I was ecstatic to get this piece. I had asked the previous owner about it 3 or 4 times before he finally answered me and we were able to work out a deal. It isn't the most impressive piece of art that I have but it reminds me of fun times playing the game with friends.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1291339

Post on CAF and trade "value":

I have noticed over the years that when trading with dealers the first thing they ask or look up is if the page had been on CAF or not. Seems to me pieces that have never been on CAF or major auctions sites are given a premium of varying degrees. Or at least that is my spin based on experience

Interesting. Has anyone else experienced this?