• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NM98 CGC 9.8 post movie pricing

NM98 post movie pricing  

480 members have voted

1. 1. NM98 post movie pricing

125 posts in this topic

"Borrowed" these pics from the "Garage Sale Find" CG thread.

and... ? (shrug)

We already know (roughly) how many were printed and that the issue is from an era of minimal attrition.

And it was a funny picture so I thought I would share. :shrug:

Yes, hilarious. I laughed so hard when I saw them I almost fell out of my chair.

If you think those pics are funny you should check out G.A.tor's convention reports.

We know all you do is go around and troll posts to pick fights, yet you still post. And?

:eyeroll:

I wonder who the "we" is being referred to. Additional personalities?

hm

I'm curious to see how many NM 98 CGC will be grading over the next few months...? We may see a big jump on the census? I'm not sure how this will effect the value of a book that has a steady demand but is already readily available in high grades...? This is purely speculation on my part but I'll be watching the census.

I'm curious to see how many NM 98 CGC will be grading over the next few months...? We may see a big jump on the census? I'm not sure how this will effect the value of a book that has a steady demand but is already readily available in high grades...? This is purely speculation on my part but I'll be watching the census.

Don't see submissions spiking any more than they already have in the last year or so. It's been a heavily submitted book since the movie was announced and relatively heavily submitted even prior to that.

Have seen these selling as low as $650 on the boards, and are popping at $700 on the bay. Probably due for a bit more of a drop as there will be a lull between movies. Maybe the movie didn't draw enough new blood as people thought it would.
I think it drew a lot of people, though he was already popular so that should be taken into account so its hard to say how many people who saw the movie were familiar with him to begin with.

I look at it more as to who were on the edge already, and decided to take to plunge into comics after seeing the movie, even then though the that number would still be even smaller since not as many people could financially/ mentally spend almost 1k on a comicbook collectible. Even more so for the later reason if they had never collected to begin with. Lets also not forget that even though a lot of people say that they're fan of Deadpool or a comic fan usually translates to mean that they're a pop culture fan which encompasses a lot of things not just comics which we focus on.

It did probably draw a segment of the people who say the movie to buy some of the latest issues, and even some trades, but not all of them probably stuck to it, and even less of that group I think would buy a NM98 unless they seriously considered themselves collectors going in, and just a a latest fancy in the hero movie trend. 2c

Have seen these selling as low as $650 on the boards, and are popping at $700 on the bay. Probably due for a bit more of a drop as there will be a lull between movies. Maybe the movie didn't draw enough new blood as people thought it would.
I think it drew a lot of people, though he was already popular so that should be taken into account so its hard to say how many people who saw the movie were familiar with him to begin with.

I look at it more as to who were on the edge already, and decided to take to plunge into comics after seeing the movie, even then though the that number would still be even smaller since not as many people could financially/ mentally spend almost 1k on a comicbook collectible. Even more so for the later reason if they had never collected to begin with. Lets also not forget that even though a lot of people say that they're fan of Deadpool or a comic fan usually translates to mean that they're a pop culture fan which encompasses a lot of things not just comics which we focus on.

It did probably draw a segment of the people who say the movie to buy some of the latest issues, and even some trades, but not all of them probably stuck to it, and even less of that group I think would buy a NM98 unless they seriously considered themselves collectors going in, and just a a latest fancy in the hero movie trend. 2c

+1

What's the opinion on when Deadpool really took off as a fan favorite amongst comic collectors? One important factor to consider is whether his core fandom can afford the book in top grade. When I started collecting comics in the late '80s, I would have loved to have owned a IH181, but it was out of my budget at the time (unless I wanted to stop buying other books). Now, as someone in his 40s with a job that pays well, if I wanted a copy in 9.8 it's more within reach than it was when I was in my teens and early 20s.

So what's the opinion on what the age is of Deadpool's core fandom? Is it possible that many people that might want a copy now just can't afford it *yet*?

What's the opinion on when Deadpool really took off as a fan favorite amongst comic collectors? One important factor to consider is whether his core fandom can afford the book in top grade. When I started collecting comics in the late '80s, I would have loved to have owned a IH181, but it was out of my budget at the time (unless I wanted to stop buying other books). Now, as someone in his 40s with a job that pays well, if I wanted a copy in 9.8 it's more within reach than it was when I was in my teens and early 20s.

So what's the opinion on what the age is of Deadpool's core fandom? Is it possible that many people that might want a copy now just can't afford it *yet*?

Males aged 10-25 are probably the core Deadpool fan base.Based on the appeal/humor of the character, most are likely around 13-17 years old.

Most 15 year old's can't afford a slabbed 9.8 NM 98.

So they'll buy a raw VG+ to VF for $200 to $300.

Just like any big copper age key book, it is worth 2-3 bills in mid grade, just because collectors who can't afford to drop a grand (or 2 grand for a BA 12) in 9.8.

As the second movie comes closer, the prices on this book will spike again...probably ending up around $800-$1200.....averaging around what they were selling at before the 1st Deadpool movie came out.

They'll probably dip down after the 2nd movie, intil a 3rd movie comes out.Rinse and repeat with a slow but steady appreciation overall, after each time Deadpool is featured in a movie.

As the core audience gets older, the book becomes more affordable to them in 9.8...meanwhile Deadpool continues to gain popularity and media exposure, over the next few years.

3 years time, I think that you won't be able to buy a CGC 9.8 for less than $1000...with the spread on 9.8 sales being $1000 to $1500.

This is why I mostly stick to buying/selling copper age books.

I feel the movie for sure increased the customer base for NM 98's.

Everyone has to keep in mind there are a million HG copies of this book, so for the book to only lower by a small % once the movie hype is now over is remarkable.

I alone added 20 CGC 9.8's in 2016 to the CGC census from my submissions and 2 9.9's.

NM 98 is very popular but also very common.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Looks like my decision to sell my 9.8 back when the movie news hit was a solid one, as I got close to a grand for it.

Meanwhile, my decision to sell my BA 12 9.8 when Suicide Squad was announced is looking worse and worse...