• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures slabs now?

108 posts in this topic

In his raw listings he still states that "The ONLY "slabbed" books I have sold or will sell [a few a year], are JOINTLY owned." He has 169 slabs on his site now. I guess it's possible that they're all jointly owned or a big consignment.

Mike

Or maybe he hasn't updated that language.

..... Richie's a business man...... and at some point one either boards the train or gets left at the station. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

"Stand up dealers" don't sell books with detached covers that have been taped back on as "cover firmly attached" (yes...with tape) and then give you a raft of mess when you say "Hey, this cover isn't actually attached", effectively stealing your money by drawing higher bids than he would have gotten had the book simply been described accurately.

(thumbs u

Rudest dealer I've ever met. I avoid all contact with him.

I don't think he's rude, I just think he is a high energy new yorker who can come across like a bit of a shyster and has become a caricature of himself over the years, and I dig that about him. I have gone through my phases of avoiding his books like the plague and then deciding that I really like something he's selling and buying it with the understanding that he's worked on it. Like anything else, it's a buyer beware situation. I do think it's hilarious that he is slabbing now, regardless of what leniency he was offered by CBCS.

I prefer buying books from Richard unslabbed so I can read or look at whats inside! A lot of the fun in this hobby is taken away by just owning a slabbed book and never seeing the book except thru the slab! EJR

I don't think he's rude, I just think he is a high energy new yorker who can come across like a bit of a shyster and has become a caricature of himself over the years, and I dig that about him.

Well, if he wasn't rude to you, great! More power to you.

I've had 40 years' experience with high-energy New Yorkers. Trust me to know the difference. lol

About a year or so ago I inquired about a raw Tec 39 he had listed. It was the Larson copy. It was advertised as VF- 7.5. I asked if the book could be CGC graded given the asking price. He told me to F off. All this was thru eBay message system. Needless to say I not only didn't buy the book but I will never buy anything from him. The Tec 39 has in the interim been purchased by a collector and graded. CGC gave it a 6.5 grade. That is all I have to say about Muchin.

I don't think he's rude, I just think he is a high energy new yorker who can come across like a bit of a shyster and has become a caricature of himself over the years, and I dig that about him. I have gone through my phases of avoiding his books like the plague and then deciding that I really like something he's selling and buying it with the understanding that he's worked on it. Like anything else, it's a buyer beware situation. I do think it's hilarious that he is slabbing now, regardless of what leniency he was offered by CBCS.

He's rude. I've dealt with dealers like Joe Koch for decades and never had a problem.

If you can't deal with something as simple as fixing a problem you created, you have no business dealing with the public.

The fact that comic collectors behave like crack addicts is the only reason people like this still deal in comics.

I prefer buying books from Richard unslabbed so I can read or look at whats inside! A lot of the fun in this hobby is taken away by just owning a slabbed book and never seeing the book except thru the slab! EJR

You know the slabs can be opened, right...?

You know the slabs can be opened, right...?

:o

and over-grades his books.

and considers restoration as " conservation ". lol

Well, he always tried to distinguish the two -- which CGC does as well now.

In my experience, he was always upfront about the work done on the books he sells.

+1, on both of these statements by Sqeggs.

I like Rich and consider him to be a stand up dealer.He's also a nice guy, fun to talk to and deal with....and always has plenty of good stories, whenever I see him at shows.

"Stand up dealers" don't sell books with detached covers that have been taped back on as "cover firmly attached" (yes...with tape) and then give you a raft of mess when you say "Hey, this cover isn't actually attached", effectively stealing your money by drawing higher bids than he would have gotten had the book simply been described accurately.

I am speaking from my dealings and interactions with Rich, personally.I think he's a pretty stand up guy to deal with.

That is my n=1 feedback on Rich.

I also don't know what listing/book you're referring to, so I can't comment on that.

He has always been honest with me but I think I know how to deal with him. I always assume his books have been "conserved". I then ask him point blank and if he says yes, I ask him to point out what has been done. He has always been truthful. Trouble is, he some times wants the same price for "conserved" vs "not conserved" books. Then, it only becomes an issue to me as to if I can live with it or not and if so, at what price. Buyer beware whether with Richie or any other dealer for that matter other than a selected few.

I also try to keep the conversation on topic thus to avoid a marathon conversation.

He has always been honest with me but I think I know how to deal with him. I always assume his books have been "conserved". I then ask him point blank and if he says yes, I ask him to point out what has been done. He has always been truthful. Trouble is, he some times wants the same price for "conserved" vs "not conserved" books. Then, it only becomes an issue to me as to if I can live with it or not and if so, at what price. Buyer beware whether with Richie or any other dealer for that matter other than a selected few.

I also try to keep the conversation on topic thus to avoid a marathon conversation.

I think it was always the case that he saw conservation -- particularly tear seals -- as helping the book. He's improved the book, so why should you expect to pay less for it? To say the least, that view has been out of synch with the view of most collectors for a long time.

I've always found him willing to negotiate -- often by a lot if he's been sitting on the book for a while. And, heck, if your offer is close enough, he's even willing to flip you for it! :D

Richie has purchased tens of thousands of dollars of books from me over the past 30+ years. Never had a problem with a bounced check or anything shady. As RM mentions you know what to expect from him. He also has one of the smartest minds for comic book history that I've ever met.

I give him a big Moondog (thumbs u

I think it was always the case that he saw conservation -- particularly tear seals -- as helping the book. He's improved the book, so why should you expect to pay less for it? To say the least, that view has been out of synch with the view of most collectors for a long time.

I've always found him willing to negotiate -- often by a lot if he's been sitting on the book for a while. And, heck, if your offer is close enough, he's even willing to flip you for it! :D

Hey, call me old school, but you can't convince me that a book with a tear seal is worth the same than without. I'm not a "mint freak" as you all know but I find it a little disconcerning as to how we all seem to be bending the rules grading wise when it comes to certain types of "conservation" or restoration. Especially when lots of dead presidents are involved...

And yeah, never lost a flip with him (knock on wood). He really IS unique.

He's a fun guy to talk to but the display is always such a mess and it looks like "table" books are actually getting more damaged at cons. I bought a frankenbook off eBay from him and returned it with no problem. I think he does take a little too much license with the repairs he makes on his books - making him someone I avoid buying from simply because of the risk. But it's encouraging he's decided to get books graded and thus disclose the repairs.