• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another ethically challenged, scamming, dirtbag seller

20 posts in this topic

Check out this auction, which unfortunately ended before I could try and report it. Not only is it confusing as to what the buyer actually gets, the scattering of older comics all appear to be photocopies of the cover only (as pointed out by someone on the eBay comics board). If you enlarge the pics you can clearly see that the SA ASM issue does not have a spine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74&item=6518958506&rd=1

We should have a generic, pinned thread just dealing with eBay scams. It would be a step in the right direction and might keep someone from getting totally ripped off. confused-smiley-013.gif

Too true Supa-- if it looks too good to be true it probably is. I do though, like the idea of a sticky topic for scam E-bay auctions. It seems there are several discussed every few days and a central area for them all sounds good to this Joker!

I don't know Oct., I can't tell that they are photocopies. Most of the books look like common readers. Then of course, those few GA books, which stand out like a sore thumb. But the auction ended at 80 bucks for 275 comics. No one's getting ripped off at that price.

I just don't see what you are talking about with the whole "photocopied" thing. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know Oct., I can't tell that they are photocopies. Most of the books look like common readers. Then of course, those few GA books, which stand out like a sore thumb. But the auction ended at 80 bucks for 275 comics. No one's getting ripped off at that price.

I just don't see what you are talking about with the whole "photocopied" thing. confused-smiley-013.gif

Look at the GA books pictured. If you enlarge the pictures it's pretty clear they are just a single sheet of paper...they don't have any depth. BTW: the auction is actually for 20 comics, not 275. So for 81 dollars the buyer will most likely get 20 beat up copies of Heathcliff and Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

I don't know if it's a scam. He clearly states the winner is only getting 20 unsorted comics out of this lot. It is a random chance you could get a Golden Age book (that might be incomplete). I would have bid accordingly (or in my case, not bid at all). I can't imagine bidding $81 for 20 of the books.

As far as the selection goes, I bought a collection of about 350 comics out of Missouri last year that was similar. Tons of funny animal, random marvels, little lulu's, etc. Plus an Amazing Fantasy 15, Human Torch (GA) #1 and #4, Submariner Comics #2 and a few more nice books. You never know what people put together over the years.

Sean

OF, yes you have a point with the ASM cover. But, anyone who has an ounce of brain will clearly stay away from these "misc lot" type auctions. A couple of years ago I didn't have a brain (at least until I visited the Wizard of Oz) and bought one of these 200 book lots for $85. I'm now very aclimated to the DC titles of the 90s and the common Valiants. Until I got mad and just threw them away in the trash. I've now done my piece in making these books more collectible.

Let the Buyer Beware on these type auctions goes without saying. I can just about guess there may be one or two decent books--but the rest will be utter garbage.

08_12_sb.JPG

OMG...

Wonder Woman 1st appearance (right?) admist a pile of dreck.

27_laughing.gif

All Star 8 was her first appearance. The Sensation Comics #1 in that stack looks like another faked, empty cover (do you see a spine or any pages attached to it? I can't)

The cover looks OWL 10 white.

I doubt any white cover Golden Age book is OWL 10.

All the nice comics are pure fake. tongue.gif

This is no doubt a misleading (read fraud) listing. Seller implies this is a multiple item listing for 20 items each yet he has the auction set up as a one lot listing. So what twenty books is he selling? Seller knows what he is doing by strategically placing key books on the top of the lot. Not once does he state that you will receive any of the desirable books.

Look at the GA books pictured. If you enlarge the pictures it's pretty clear they are just a single sheet of paper...they don't have any depth. BTW: the auction is actually for 20 comics, not 275. So for 81 dollars the buyer will most likely get 20 beat up copies of Heathcliff and Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

this is a perfect example of how this kind of auction sucks people in. while actually tipped off to the possible scam via these boards, our own Starfighter still thought that this was for all 275 comics. 893whatthe.gif

and your pics are quite revealing. what are the chances that the sensation # 1 isn't either a photocopy or will ever wind up in a batch of 20??? the way this is run, these auctions could go on forever, just substituting some more drek mixed in with either copies or pics of old books that will never be sent out. there's no way to keep track of this........... mad.gif

You also have to love it when a blurry out-out-of-focus scan is photoshopped into the scan next to a crystal clear image. And how many pages did those Golden Age books have......4? Pretty slim.

frankenscan.jpg